Can oils cause breakage?

erin558

Just an update on my breakage problem because there is something else i forgot to add.

My breakage started around the time I started using oils ( coconut/jojoba ) on my hair. I read on another board that a woman said she was experiencing breakage because of oils and she had to cut them out completely. Can this really happen? As anyone else experienced this?

I think it is possible IF you do not moisturize first. Oils have the ability to lock the hair, I learned this from Sistaslick.

She stated that if you apply oil then moisturizer what you are really doing is locking in the dryness and not allowing the moisture to penatrate the hair. Order of operation is very important.

I don't know your situation so I will ask this --> Are you using moisture b4 you apply your oil?

MonaRae

erin558 said:
Just an update on my breakage problem because there is something else i forgot to add.

My breakage started around the time I started using oils ( coconut/jojoba ) on my hair. I read on another board that a woman said she was experiencing breakage because of oils and she had to cut them out completely. Can this really happen? As anyone else experienced this?

That is very interesting!!! My hair NEVER used to break and it breaks a lot now. I used to flat iron my hair twice a week and never had breakage and now I very rarely use heat and I have a lot of breakage. Nothing has stopped it...not even Aphogee. And my two main sealer oils are Coconut and Jojoba!!:eek: What is the other site? I'd like to read about her experience as well.

I think that peanut oil has a lot of protein in it, therefore may cause breakage. But I didn't know that about coconut. I would be surprised if it was true about jojoba though. Isn't this oil supposed to be the most like our natural sebum?

Not that I know of but I would sure like to find out some of the ladies replies.

Shoot I just bought some coconut, alma and vatika oils from the indian website.

MonaRae said:
I think it is possible IF you do not moisturize first. Oils have the ability to lock the hair, I learned this from Sistaslick.

She stated that if you apply oil then moisturizer what you are really doing is locking in the dryness and not allowing the moisture to penatrate the hair. Order of operation is very important.

I don't know your situation so I will ask this --> Are you using moisture b4 you apply your oil?

MonaRae

yeah, im moisturizing before. It's all starting to make sense to me now because I really feel like I had this problem before.

When I switched from my Pantene Relaxed & Natural Mositurizing cream to oils I started to get major breakage and shedding.:( I would put leave in on before the oil, nothing helped. I cut out oils (except for naturallady's odorless MTG and that's scalp only) and went back to Pantene and the breakage and shedding stopped within 24 hours. I'm sticking to Pantene!:)

Cayenne0622 said:
That is very interesting!!! My hair NEVER used to break and it breaks a lot now. I used to flat iron my hair twice a week and never had breakage and now I very rarely use heat and I have a lot of breakage. Nothing has stopped it...not even Aphogee. And my two main sealer oils are Coconut and Jojoba!!:eek: What is the other site? I'd like to read about her experience as well.

I've got to remember what site it was on because I read this months ago. It's a site for natural hair care. let me think about it for a moment. Yeah, I straighten my hair once a week too. I had a very simple regime and my hair wouldn't break and then a week or so after using oils my hair has been breaking. i really hope it's not the oils because I love the way my hair LOOKS but if it is then i'll have to let them go and use the coconut oil for cooking/skin.

lol.

I don't really use the jojoba oil as much as the coconut. I use the jojoba oil on my face and my skin has been looking FIERCE! love it!

I think this is possible. My hair has been breaking between my weekly washes and I haven't quite figured out what's causing it just yet. I parted my hair in 4 sections and used my beloved ije oil on one section, my kerakare cream on another, and two different hair greases, one light and one heavy, on the other two sections. After I left my hair alone for about five minutes, I combed each section to observe how much hair came out in the comb. The oil section had the most while the others had less. The heavy grease section had the least amount of hair to comb out. I don't know if my experiment was properly done but I decided to use the grease this week instead of the oil.

???????????????????
I know I haven't been wetting the hair and sealing it with the oil during the week (only after a wash) so maybe, even though the oil may be making your hair soft, it's still missing something. However, my grease doesn't have water in it (but it has sulfur) so I'm just going with what works for now.

I hope this isn't the case, because I love my coconut and jojoba oils (and I just ordered some avocado and sweet almond oil)! But everyone's hair is different.

here's a link to that article that made me wonder

----------------------------
Do I Need Oil On My Hair?
by Ms SNIPS
In a nutshell, it depends on your hair. Like many naturals, I wear a "wash, shake and go" style that involves washing or wetting my hair, applying products and letting my hair air dry.

At first, my hair looked great using "old school" hair products, but after reading that mineral and petroleum oils were bad for the scalp and hair, I began to use natural oils, like shea butter, olive oil, corn oil, etc. I read the backs of jar after jar of hair oils, shopped endless hours online for "natural" oils and pomades only to find that after a few months, my hair looked worse than ever.

Good or Bad?

Over the summer, I started thinking about why we avoid mineral oil and petroleum. Hair experts feel that they prevent water, the best moisturizer there is, from getting to the hair shaft and dry the hair out over time.

That led me to wonder what the real difference between "bad" oils and any other oil except possible health concerns. Even with the proper use of natural oils, my hair was rough, dry, hard and greasy from them sitting on top of my hair and not absorbing. Oils seemed to work for everyone but me! I even suggested them to others! Did I have weird hair?!"

click the link for the rest.

http://ourhair.net/content/view/14/58/1/0/

preciousjewel76 said:
I hope this isn't the case, because I love my coconut and jojoba oils (and I just ordered some avocado and sweet almond oil)! But everyone's hair is different.

yeah! I mean I don't think it causes breakage for everyone because I know people on here are thriving from them, but i think they aren't for me. This really blows because i love my coconut and jojoba :(

I may have to ditch those oils, except for using them during deep conditioners and go back to Kemi Oil. I used to apply it as a light final touch and didn't have any problems.

HoneyDew said:
For me, they will if my hair is dry and not moisturized properly.

yeah i'm hoping that this is what is happening to me but like I said before, I really feel like I had this problem a few years ago when I was on top of my moisturizing and it still made me break. hmmm

Cayenne0622 said:
I may have to ditch those oils, except for using them during deep conditioners and go back to Kemi Oil. I used to apply it as a light final touch and didn't have any problems.

yeah, im just gonna go without using them for a minute to see what happens. My hair was on point before all of this and now i'm set back

I believe this is possible. Personally, I know that I can't use jojoba or olive oil to seal in moisture. My hair dries hard, crispy and greasy. I just started using coconut oil and that seems to do the trick even though it is a little greasy. So for me, I know that I have to use natural butters or water based moisturizers.

Cayenne0622 said:

I apply coconut oil as a light final touch and have no problems. I like the fact that it is light weight and has high sheen. I use it as a sealer only.

I definitely get breakage if I don't use a moisturizing cream before oiling. No matter how lightly I oil.

Even in CWing, my hard feels harder and dryer if I used oils the night before.

How often are you washing or clarifying your hair? You may be getting some buildup on the shaft. Try not to overdo it on the oil, just a light dispensing throughout-- focusing on the ends should do.

Also, I was going to say that it may be the coconut oil. Coconut oil is solid at room temp which means that it may actually solidify and stiffen itself on your hair if the temperature is cool enough. Your profile says you are in BR, LA-- but if its warm enough there, so that shouldn't be the problem. I only use my pure coconut oil when its pretty warm outside. On cool/cold days-- or days when I'm inside alot-- I use other oils. I've read that some people up north actually can see the solid coconut oil in their hair on those cold days.:lol: Might be a stretch as far as leading to breakage, but its worth looking into. :lol:

If your hair was thriving before the oils, then I'd consider going back to that. Every technique doesn't work for everyone. Don't saboutage your hair in an attempt to do "what's right." There are tons of oils out there to choose from with different consistencies and characterists if you still feel like you need something there. The main thing you want to focus on is keeping your hair moisturized under that oil. Hope it gets better girl!

Sistaslick said:
How often are you washing or clarifying your hair? You may be getting some buildup on the shaft. Try not to overdo it on the oil, just a light dispensing throughout-- focusing on the ends should do.

Also, I was going to say that it may be the coconut oil. Coconut oil is solid at room temp which means that it may actually solidify and stiffen itself on your hair if the temperature is cool enough. Your profile says you are in BR, LA-- but if its warm enough there, so that shouldn't be the problem. I only use my pure coconut oil when its pretty warm outside. On cool/cold days-- or days when I'm inside alot-- I use other oils. I've read that some people up north actually can see the solid coconut oil in their hair on those cold days.:lol: Might be a stretch as far as leading to breakage, but its worth looking into. :lol:

If your hair was thriving before the oils, then I'd consider going back to that. Every technique doesn't work for everyone. Don't saboutage your hair in an attempt to do "what's right." There are tons of oils out there to choose from with different consistencies and characterists if you still feel like you need something there. The main thing you want to focus on is keeping your hair moisturized under that oil. Hope it gets better girl!
I clarified last week with Aloe Rid, which sucked my hair dry also and made the breakage worse. It's actually pretty cool in BR right now, too. My hair was doing fine before the oils so im just going to use them for something else and go back to my simple regime. I'm DCing right now so i'll let you guys know what happends. I wash once a week.

Back