Can long hair be washed in the sink/tub?

prettykinks

I have had DC in my hair since last night and I want to wash it out in the shower but my baby can hear a pin drop in his sleep and will wake up. :( I wanted to know if there are any other long haired ladies natural or relaxed that have had success with washing their hair in the sink or over the tub. I don't want to deal with tangles and knots. Please help me out ladies. :grin:

ETA: I'm natural!

Last edited:
Yes, my preference until not long ago was washing in the sink. Only down side is that your hair is flipped over so it makes detangling harder when you flip it back down. I will still wash my hair in the sink when I'm wearing straight styles that aren't tangled but when I wear wash n' go's I need the water from the shower to make detangling easier since my hair gets very tangled with wng's.

There's no harm washing your hair in the sink.

I used to always wash my hair in the kitchen sink when rinsing out a relaxer. Many times, I'd also wash in the bathtub (head hanging down underneath faucet) when I was relaxed bone straight, so I didn't have an issue with tangles. When I began stretching my relaxers, I did have an issue with tangling, so I switched to primarily washing in the shower, and found this to be convenient for me. The gravity of the water on the hair in the shower helps to remove tangles, and makes mine easier to comb out. However, I have a daughter who is a light sleeper as well, so I've had to utilize the sink on more than one occasion. It should work unless ur transitioning or have a lot of NG that would tangle up.

If you are a natural whose hair grows down I would not rinse off in the sink. If you are a natural whose hair grows up then I say go for it.

i am relaxed and always wash in the sink b/c i hate having hair all over my back and body (weird i know, it's my own hair) when washing in the shower. just don't agitate the hair as much when washing in the sink; that helps to keep the tangling down (for me).

I've been washing my hair over the tub since last winter cause...I wasn't getting IN the shower and having to deal with a wet body and wet hair and having water dripping down my back. Pet PEEVE!!!!

I bend over the tub and use the detachable shower head, shampoo twice and THEN stand up in front of my sink to condition and detangle my hair. I don't comb anything while bent over the tub. And I have no issues whatsoever with detangling.

I don't do this now, but when I was transitioning and washing my hair twice weekly, I would do it in the tub, on my knees. The key for me was to wash and detangle in braids (I think I had six of them). I would never hold my head/hair upside down, always to the side so that I always kept my hair downward. I would undo each braid, wash and detangle it, then braid it back up. It's a bit of a pain in the neck (literally), but that's the only way I could avoid major tangles.

I wash my DD's hair in both the sink and the tub often, she's about 5'3 and has close to WL hair. Tangles are an issue, but we detangle after the initial co-wash, hair loaded down with conditioner. Once I've detangled I carefully rinse and we have no issues.

I rinse out my DCs in the tub. I do DCs with my hair parted in 2, so I just bend over and kinda finger comb the sections upwards and hang my head under the faucet. I am just sure to hold the ends at all times cuz I don't want a single strand going down the drain.

This was an issue for me. In the winter when the hot water would turn cold in the shower quicker, I'd have to resort to washing my hair in the sink for the reason of saving the hot water for my body. I hated the tangles that would result from that.

Just recently, I tried a different method for the sink washing. I split my hair into 2 parts, a part going right down the middle dividing my hair into the left and right side. While one side is clipped, I will shampoo, condition, and detangle the other and then vice versa.

This allows for me not to have to flip all my hair over my head, but to just lean my head to the side (ear facing the drain) and wash that way. Soooooooo much easier!!!!! I don't have to worry about tangles since my hair is being washed/conditioned/detangled in a downward motion.

I washed my hair in the kitchen sink and over the tub for years. But tangles got really out of control so I don't do that anymore. Most of the time I take care of my shampoo/conditioning needs in the shower.

This was an issue for me. In the winter when the hot water would turn cold in the shower quicker, I'd have to resort to washing my hair in the sink for the reason of saving the hot water for my body. I hated the tangles that would result from that.

Just recently, I tried a different method for the sink washing. I split my hair into 2 parts, a part going right down the middle dividing my hair into the left and right side. While one side is clipped, I will shampoo, condition, and detangle the other and then vice versa.

This allows for me not to have to flip all my hair over my head, but to just lean my head to the side (ear facing the drain) and wash that way. Soooooooo much easier!!!!! I don't have to worry about tangles since my hair is being washed/conditioned/detangled in a downward motion.
This is how I wash out my dc's. I haven't tried it for shampooing yet.

I've taken to washing my hair in braids (8 to 4) depending on my new growth situation. It helps to prevent knots and make it easier for me to wash my hair in the sink rather than the hassle of getting in and out of the shower.

My daughters have butt length hair and WL hair and I still wash it in the sink or tub. It's not very comfy for them though.

See this was the exact way I used to wash my hair. Then my neck and back was aching from bending over from so daggone long lol so I just shampoo twice, which takes me a few minutes.

Then I condition like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBazy2cRpvo

And then I rinse the conditioner out of each clipped up section over the tub which only takes a few minutes also. My legs, knees and back have thanked me for it :yep:

I ONLY do this with DC's....and ONLY if i have to bc i HATE rinsing my hair in the sink:barf:...just the thought of the drain and my hair slipping down in it:nono:

But anyway...like somebody posted above...part your hair down the middle an detangle both sides and then put your head under the faucet...hold it to one side and rinse that side and move the faucet to the other side and rinse that side....i'm texlaxed and since i'm not holding my head down or upside down...there's no big tangling issue.

HTH:)

If you are a natural whose hair grows down I would not rinse off in the sink. If you are a natural whose hair grows up then I say go for it.

just quoting you to say you have my BF in your siggy!!! whooeeee i looooved him when i was younger lol

Yeah it can be done. Just braid your hair up in sections before you do. I wash my hair in the sink all-the-time, I prefer to do it this way than in the shower it would take a longggg time. I don't have any issues with tangles or knots when I wash my hair in the sink, it works for me. ;)

Back