Can I sue a salon for giving me bald spots? Do I have a case?...Pics attached.

Do I have a case?

• Yes

Votes: 85 51.5%
  • No

Votes: 24 14.5%
  • Maybe

Votes: 56 33.9%

• Total voters
I told them i dont want to bring them any trouble. i dont really want to have to sue them. I just want my $ back...lol. i spent almost $700 @ their shop. $350 for the hair & $325 for the weave.

And they should "GLADLY" Give you the Entire $700 Back.:rolleyes:

That is so terrible.....I have never been able to wear braids of any kind...they aways seem too tight and I am tender headed...But I have always lost hair in the process...Not sure if it is because they were wayyyyy too tight or because I kept pulling at them to loosen them or BOTH...But me and braids ...Nope....I hope you get a good resolution...so sorry about your hair...Keep putting some castor oil on the spots where the hair is missing...

Big Hugs

I'm sooo sorry, but see if you can find a lawyer on consignment... so you wont have to pay unless you win. This sucks because like food labels there should be warning about loosing your hair due to these practices. I have bald spots and had to get cortisone shots and rogaine to help fill them it. I'm struggling with this and i would not wish it on my worst enemy. I hope you WIN!!!

To be honest......

Im not sure it was really their fault :ohwell:

if they did braid too tight, you could have said something to prevent this in the first place. If a braider was braiding my hair very tight, I would have to speak up. Also I would go to a dermatologist cause you could just be suffering from an underlying condition and having the cornrows put in could have exasperated it.

But I am truly sorry that this happened and hopefully you can come to some sort of resolution.

i think if u did decide to sue, the length of time u left it in could be a HUGE problem. they will probably want to know why you left it in so long if it was so tight. and two months leaves a lot of room for them to argue that you didn't take care of it properly and caused it yourself. had you taken it right out after a day or week then i think you would have a better case. its really iffy though.

so sorry this happened to you. i literally cringed at the screen. :sad:

I knew it was tight as she was doing it and I told her...now they're saying I didn't tell her. Everyone in that salon knew my hair was tight...I had to take 4 Tylenols. I actually had to leave the salon to go buy some and one of the workers there gave me some too. I kept the weave in for about 2 months, and I didn't really do anything but spray my hair with a moisturizer since they used a net. I plan to go see a dermatologist real soon.

I'm so sorry you were treated this way. I can't believe they don't have the integrity to refund at least 75%. When you treat your customers like this you can't expect to be successful very long. I pray your scalp completely recovers.

i think if u did decide to sue, the length of time u left it in could be a HUGE problem. they will probably want to know why you left it in so long if it was so tight. and two months leaves a lot of room for them to argue that you didn't take care of it properly and caused it yourself. had you taken it right out after a day or week then i think you would have a better case. its really iffy though.

but isnt 2 months normal for a weave? ive never had one so im just asking. and eventhough it was too tight she could argue that she thought that was normal because in 2 days it probably loosened up.
i dont think her hair fell out because she wasnt taking care of it, that would cause breakage. but her scalp is bald because it was braided way too tight.

but i also have to agree with another poster, i would have made them stop if my head was so tight that i had to take medication.

I feel terribly sorry for u however to file that kind of claim you would have to prove what they did was wrong and if ur saying the braids where too tight but u still kept them in for two months that falls on you. most shops if u have a problem with the style u needed to tell them before u leave the shop so they ca fix it. by walking away and going on with ur life thats like saying it ok, so neglect would fall on u.

what u can do is never go back!!! and start taking care of ur bald spot. (((hugs)) im sorry

True. I wish i kinda would have taken it out sooner; but i really didnt expect my hair to fall out. But the good thing is i've been documenting my hair for several years so i have some proof that i take care of my hair. And i have no family history of hair loss or scalp conditions, but i will see a dermatologist though just to have medical say.

Please keep us posted on what happens! I mean if you sue them what is the worst that can happen? You lose your case and thats it. But if the worst case scenario happens they will think twice before doing to others what they did to you. I dont care how long you had the weave in. You did not get what you paid for. If they are supposedly promoting healthy hair growth and you got bald spots then to me that is false advertising. Its no different than having a botched surgery performed on you in my opinion, especially if those bald spots dont grow back, or if they hurt..etc. I wish you well.

but isnt 2 months normal for a weave? ive never had one so im just asking. and eventhough it was too tight she could argue that she thought that was normal because in 2 days it probably loosened up.
i dont think her hair fell out because she wasnt taking care of it, that would cause breakage. but her scalp is bald because it was braided way too tight.

but i also have to agree with another poster, i would have made them stop if my head was so tight that i had to take medication.

It did loosen up after a few days & if i had known my hair was falling out i really would have went back sooner. But when i told them it was too tight they told me it would get better in time. And they advertise u can keep the weave in for up to 3 months. I just took it out in 2.

yeap its quite normal. im just pointing out that it may make it harder to win since she said she had so much pain when she first got it but decided to leave it in. usually when hair is braided too tight it takes a lil while, maybe a week before it loosens up, or that has been my expierence anyway.

i think the two months might just be a road block. plus they may argue that in addition to not caring properly for it, it was removed improperly causing damage. im not saying she caused it at all, just saying if it does end up in court be prepared for probably those types of arguments to be thrown at her.

You may have a case , but did you take the weave out your self or have them removed.
If you did not return to the shop to have them removed then they can say the person that removed them did the damage.

You seem to be handling everything in stride...I am so sorry that this happen and I am not sure if you have a claim, but this is the right place to get back on the right track...

honestly, you probably don't have a case. You said they braided it too tight, but did you tell them that while they were braiding? and when it was still tight the next day did u go back and have them take it out? if not, then you really dont have a case at all

It might be hard to bring a case against them but you could try. I would definitely put them on blast. The least they could do was refund your money.

DO YOU HAVE A CASE....... WELL IT DEPENDS IF YOU HAVE ADEQUATE EVIDENCE TO SHOW BEFORE A JUDGE, AND ON WHETHER THE HAIR FELL OUT FROM THE TIGHT BRAIDS OR FROM MANIPULATION (NOT CALLING YOU A LIAR OR ANYTHING BUT YOU NEED SUFFICIENT EVIDENCE TO HOLD UP IN COURT)

1.) SEE A LICENSED PHYSICIAN ( A DERMATOLOGIST AT THAT) AND TAKE THE SHED HAIR WITH YOU. THEY COULD PROBABLY DETERMINE IF THERE WERE ANY ABNORMAL HEAVY TENSION TO THE SCALP WHICH MAY HAVE CAUSED THE HAIR TO BREAK OUT. THEY COULD ALSO POSSIBLY DETERMINE MORE SOURCES FROM THE FOLLICLES OF THE SHED HAIR.

2.) BE READY TO HAVE DURABLE ANSWERS TO THE QUESTIONS THE JUDGE MAY ASK YOU IN COURT:

WHEN DID YOU GET YOUR EXTENSIONS IN?
HOW LONG DID YOU KEEP THEM IN YOUR HAIR??
WHAT WAS YOUR REASON FOR RECEIVING HAIR EXTENSIONS??
WHEN DID YOU REALIZE THE BRAIDS WERE TOO TIGHT??
WHO REMOVED YOUR EXTENSIONS??
SUBSEQUENT TO REMOVING YOUR EXTENSIONS, HOW DID YOU MANAGE YOUR HAIR ( SHAMPOO, COMBING CONDITIONER)
DID YOU NOTIFY THE STYLIST THAT YOUR BRAIDS WERE TOO TIGHT??

MOST BUSINESSES USUALLY TRY TO OFFER OTHER ALTERNATIVES TO SATISFY A NOT SO PLEASED CUSTOMER (TO PROTECT THEIR BUSINESS FROM LAWSUITS AND SUCH). DID THEY OFFER YOU ANY OTHER ALTERNATIVES?? IF NOT THEN YOU MAY HAVE A CASE.. BUT YOUR HARDCORE EVIDENCE IS TO SEE A PHYSICAN ON HOW THE BALDNESS WAS CAUSED.

DO SOME EXTENSIVE RESEARCH PRIOR TO EXECUTING A LAWSUIT AGAINST A BUSINESS.

HOPE THAT HELPED

P.S: I USE TO BE A LEGAL ASSISTANT AND I'M A LICENSED COSMETOLOGIST. THE BIGGEST MISTAKE SOME STYLIST MAKE WHEN IT COMES TO BRAIDS IS APPLYING TOO MUCH TENSION TO THE SCALP.

Last edited:
If you can not resolve the issue with the salon owner then report the shop to your local cosmetology oversight agency. I am sorry that this happened to you. See a dermatologist and follow any treatment regimen that they recommend. I hope your hair follicles are not damaged from the braids being too tight.

Stay away from that shop. Tell friends and family to stay away too. It is horrible that they won’t take responsibility for what they did to you.

This is exactly why I choose to do my own hair, even through these hair dresser go to school and this is suppose to be their specialty, no one cares for my hair more than me. It is hard for me to walk into a shop to let people do my hair.

Regardless I think you have a case here. Cant remember what show i was watching but there was a lady who had the same thing happen to her and she won her case plus pain and suffering, so in the end its up to you on what you want to do. We are all stating opinions here, but you may want to speak with someone who practices law to see what you can and cannot do.

I think the courts would say you share responsibility b/c you knew the braids were too tight and you kept them in anyway. I do think you have a claim against the stylist but I think the judge will consider what percentage is your fault. By telling them that it as too tight, you acknowleged it. So sorry this happened to you.

Thank you all for your responses. I truly appreciate it. =)

I've called several dermatologists, told them my story, and made an appointment with one. I will call the salon tomorrow morning and talk to them about my research and see where we go from there. Maybe they might want to work out some kind of deal with me. But if they don't then I think I will go ahead with the small claims suit. It's true, what's the worst that can happen. If I win, I get my money back. If I lose, I lose...you live and you learn. But I would think as a service business the last thing you would want is an angry customer. And I'm not angry yet, just a little disappointed and upset. I just know I'm not going to let this die just like that just because I didn't like how they treated me today when I went in. They were kinda snappy and defensive...which I totally understand why; they are protecting their business. But I did let them know that I am not attacking them or trying to make trouble for their company; I just wanted to quietly bring the issue to their attention. I just don't appreciate being pushed aside like that.

Last edited:
I really don't have much to add, other than Im sorry this happened to you!!!! You have been given excellent advice in this thread on how to precede legally. Now, I pray that your derm will be able to help you expedite growth in the bald spots! (((HUGS))))

:bighug: I'm sorry this happened to you. I had a similiar experience like this back a few years ago. I wish I had thought to sue the stylist who did my hair. I went in for a sew-in and she insisted that I get a relaxer as well. I trusted her because she was a "professional":rolleyes: I removed my sew-in 6 weeks later and my hair came out in clumps! I had serious breakage, a baldspot on the left side of my crown, and my nape was completely bald. I was in tears!:crying3: Soon after that, I was told to check out LHCF. Other than my braider, I haven't been to a stylist since.

Good luck!

I wold take they arses straight to Judy Judy, Judy Mathis, Judy Joe Brown, a judge, any judge. I would want my money back, and something for my pain and suffering. I pray that your hair grows in longer and stronger than ever. No one deserves to be bald at the hands of so called "professionals". Hit them HAGS were it hurts. And I would file a report with the BBB.

I saw something like this on a tv judge show. They had a bad perm and her hair feel out. I think I saw another one where the woman had braids and because they were too tight she had bald spots. Both won their case. I'd say giveit a try.I know I'd sue.

I am so sorry this happened to you. I wonder if you should also call the police and file a report. I would go to the salan and show them what happened and when they started to deny it, then call the police while your in the salon.

Last edited:
I am so sorry this happend to you and I am mad at them for you too. Sue the hell out of them please. This is another reason why I will continue to avoid salons like the plague.

Back