Can anyone flat iron without blow drying first?

soslychic

It seems that every post I read about flat ironing, the person either blow dried, and/or hot combed there hair first. Is this mainly something naturals have to do? I'm wondering because even though I don't put heat on my hair more often than once every 3 weeks, when I do, I would rather skip the blow drying step. Could I just wrap it first or dry it in a ponytail?

I always air dry my hair. Rarely do I use a blow dryer. I usually wrap it or roll it up while wet. I then flat iron the next morning.

i think the reason on why people either air dry, blow dry or roller set their hair prior to flat ironing it is to get it somewhat straight. then you use the flat iron to get it even straighter/smoother and shiny. at least that's what i think. i wanna try the flat iron thing soon too. i'm thinking about purchasing the ceramic iron. and i'm planning on letting my hair air dry in a bun first so the front can airdry and then blowdry the rest of my hair. then i would use the flat iron on it. does anybody have a better method...please let me know.

I agree. That's one less heating element to apply to your hair, plus blow-drying my hair just makes it "big". I usually wrap, bun-dry, or roller-wrap before using a flatiron.

I usually roller set, then hot curl when dry. This weekend, I'm going to try something new. After I do my final rinse, I'm going to let my hair hang and sit under a hooded dryer to dry completely, then use my ceramic curling iron. I just hope it gets all the curls out.
ohwell.gif

I don't use a blow dryer either. That would just be too much heat. After letting my hair airdry, I would just comb through, and use the flat iron

I let my hair air dry, then flat iron. Also I don't tie my hair or bun it, I just leave it loose to dry.
Forgot to mention! I have natural hair

My last flatiron I parted my hair in two. I braided one half in about 4-6 and blowdried the other section. The braided part looked the same and even a little better than the blowdried section. So it can be done. I'm going to try bantu knots (about 8-12 sections) next time under a hooded dryer to see how that works out.
smile.gif

Re: Can anyone flat iron without blow drying first

I blow dry on COLD or air dry.

Back