Calling All Of Those With *No Heat Regimes*

Peachtree

Basically, what are the drawbacks?

Here's a lil info on me...

I have tossed my direct heat tools to the curb... hot curlers, blow dryer, crimper, flat iron, etc. I've been without direct heat for 10 months now. I haven't used my hooded dryer since early April, not even for deep conditioning (i've been experimenting with warming my conditioner before applying it). Basically, I'm totally without heat.... yep, I'm an "air dry" chicky!

Ok, here's my issue... Originally, I was planning to air dry from my last touch up (April 19) to my next touch up (Sept 1), however, I'm seriously thinking about kicking my hooded dryer to the curb FOREVER!!! I've managed this long without heat in my regime, so I think I can go longer, but i'm afraid of the unknown, so I'm not sure if i should right now.
ohwell.gif

For those who have "no heat regimes", what are some of the issues u have faced, if any? I just wanna see what I'm possibly getting myself into here...
crazy.gif

Another thing, how do u manage with wet hair (air drying) during colder climates? I live in Cleve, OH... -15 degrees
shocked.gif
is not far fetched during the winter...

(I promise u, I'm working on shortening my posts
laugh.gif
)

Thanks lovely ones
Rose.gif

Peachtree

i don't use any heat either at the moment and i haven't in a loooong time. but when you say you wanna kick all your tools to the curb, do you mean you want to get rid of them, throw them away? i mean although i don't use any heat i still love to have my collection of rollers and all that other stuff, cause i still love to experiment every now and then when i'm bored or when there's a special occasion. so although my main thing is airdrying and not using any heat i still need these tools around:)
i don't have any problems with airdrying cause like i said i don't tell myself "okay from now on - no heat at all!!!" i just do what i feel like, you know, if i feel like blowdrying my hair dry then i will do it, i think as long as my hair is healthy everything is ok:)

Hi Peachtree!

I'm also loving the "no-heat" regimen for the summer!! I probably won't go under the hooded dryer (roller-set) until Sept. or Oct.

However, I think that in the winter I'll probably go back to it. It just doesn't feel good to have a wet head during winter months!!
nono.gif
In my house, it's always colder downstairs, so sometimes it actually feels good to sit under that dryer!!
laugh.gif

Well,

I only use heat about every 3-4 mos. and I've opted for the new "healthy-hair" appliances like Ceramic Flat Iron and Ionic Hair Dryer. Ihave yet to use the dryer.

Some days I get tired o air-dried hai(but I grin and bear it) r, especially the closer I get to a re-touch. It seems so hard to manage it. But actually, the Biolage products seems to be making the hair really light and manageable.

I do think that a blow dryer is like 20X worse than a curling iron. It seems like the dryer is the one that really wreaks havoc on the hair. I think that a curling iron on a low temperature setting, that is not allowed to remain on the hair for more than a few seconds, with some kind of protecting product, every once in a while--isn't half bad. I know that was a long sentence--did y'all get that ?
laugh.gif

I was wondering the same thing about the winter.I am in Canada and -10 is our avg temperature from December til March.Sometimes even as low as -25 celsius.I was walking to class that is 3 mins max away from my residence and in that time period my friend's wet hair froze!
I am wondering if I should wash less frequently for the winter and use heat again too.

Oh Yeah--about the winter...go under the hooded dryer for 15-20 minutes to get your hair semi-dry. I remember the time I got sick a few years ago from air-drying in the house during winter. It was not cute
nono.gif

Hmmm I may have to buy a hooded dryer then.Does anyone know if they still make those small portable hooded dryers.The hood isnt made of glass so it can all be compacted into a bag.

[ QUOTE ]
Hmmm I may have to buy a hooded dryer then.Does anyone know if they still make those small portable hooded dryers.The hood isnt made of glass so it can all be compacted into a bag.

[/ QUOTE ]
You can get a soft bonnet dryer anywhere. I prefer the old ones(GE) that I find on Ebay.
When I air dry I do it overnight...but I still get under the dryer for about 10-15 minutes to give it a head start(in the winter)...I live in Pennsylvania.

Peachtree,

My comments are most like those of Lindy.

In a word, girrrrrrl, I will not be handing in my diffuser during the winter months. I've been airdrying this summer to give that tool a break. I used to airdry exclusively ALL the time. Diffuser has spoiled me badly, but from using for a good while now, my hair has not suffered. Major heat protection on my part.

Much love from a Shaker Heights homegirl,

~Jade~

P.S. Have you looked into the possibility of the Ionic Hair Dryer which Supergirl suggested? It is supposed to be great!

I have never used heat, except for the hot oil treatments and hennalucent treatment. I only see advantages for the "no heat" regimen. it is true that air drying takes a long time but I an used to it. And as far as the winter is concerned. I just air dry indors, wrapped in a towel first then loose. (central Florida has a winter with temperatures between 25 and 70 degrees, but not constently(I know that nothing
look.gif
).
Sincerely
Zanna

[ QUOTE ]
i don't use any heat either at the moment and i haven't in a loooong time. but when you say you wanna kick all your tools to the curb, do you mean you want to get rid of them, throw them away? i mean although i don't use any heat i still love to have my collection of rollers and all that other stuff, cause i still love to experiment every now and then when i'm bored or when there's a special occasion. so although my main thing is airdrying and not using any heat i still need these tools around:)
i don't have any problems with airdrying cause like i said i don't tell myself "okay from now on - no heat at all!!!" i just do what i feel like, you know, if i feel like blowdrying my hair dry then i will do it, i think as long as my hair is healthy everything is ok:)

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Nay,
Thanks for responding dear.

Well, I won't exactly throw them away cuz I need them to work on my customer's hair (yeah, I'm a kitchen-tician...not by choice; i just sorta' landed into this role). So the tools are still around for my personal use, if needed. I think that I'll just go with the flow, which is in line with your response... occasional use during the winter shouldn't be all that bad. It's just that my hair has SIMPLY THRIVED ever since i've been TOTALLY without heat... I guess I'll just have to see how my "no heat" regime works out in weather that's 10 degrees below zero!!! Yeah, I'll probably pull out that blow dryer 4sho' then, with no worries
laugh.gif
!

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Peachtree!

I'm also loving the "no-heat" regimen for the summer!! I probably won't go under the hooded dryer (roller-set) until Sept. or Oct.

However, I think that in the winter I'll probably go back to it. It just doesn't feel good to have a wet head during winter months!!
nono.gif
In my house, it's always colder downstairs, so sometimes it actually feels good to sit under that dryer!!
laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought that maybe I'd get a response from someone who airdries during the winter with no problem....NOPE!!
laugh.gif
Yeah, I'd better reconsider using heat during those cold months...
smile.gif
Thanks LIndy
wink.gif

I think airdrying is cool for the summer but my hair is NEVER dry in the morning unless I set it around 1 pm in the afternoon. SO I will definitely have to return to my hooded dryer in the winter although Dayton is not as cold as Cleveland. Plus I cannot walk in my office with half wet hair....some people would not understand if u know what I mean

oh yeah peachtree, i forgot the part about the winter time. i airdry all the time in the wintertime, my routine don't really change from summer to winter. i mainly airdry and only use heat for special occasion as i said above. sometimes in the winter i'm worried about getting sick but it works. or sometimes i put on a hat. the air drying really is the best thing you can do for your hair imo:)

[ QUOTE ]
Well,

I only use heat about every 3-4 mos. and I've opted for the new "healthy-hair" appliances like Ceramic Flat Iron and Ionic Hair Dryer. Ihave yet to use the dryer.

Some days I get tired o air-dried hai(but I grin and bear it) r, especially the closer I get to a re-touch. It seems so hard to manage it. But actually, the Biolage products seems to be making the hair really light and manageable.

I do think that a blow dryer is like 20X worse than a curling iron. It seems like the dryer is the one that really wreaks havoc on the hair. I think that a curling iron on a low temperature setting, that is not allowed to remain on the hair for more than a few seconds, with some kind of protecting product, every once in a while--isn't half bad. I know that was a long sentence--did y'all get that ?
laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok Superhair, dumb question coming, so please excuse my ignorance luv...
What's the difference between an "ionic" blow dryer & a "regular" blow dryer? Does it diffuse heat differently? I haven't a clue...
confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I was wondering the same thing about the winter.I am in Canada and -10 is our avg temperature from December til March.Sometimes even as low as -25 celsius. I was walking to class that is 3 mins max away from my residence and in that time period my friend's wet hair froze!
I am wondering if I should wash less frequently for the winter and use heat again too.

[/ QUOTE ]

See there, I'm not trying to walk around with "icecicles" (sp??) hanging from my head
laugh.gif
!!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You can get a soft bonnet dryer anywhere. I prefer the old ones(GE) that I find on Ebay.
When I air dry I do it overnight...but I still get under the dryer for about 10-15 minutes to give it a head start(in the winter)... I live in Pennsylvania.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah SweetCocoa, it gets VERY cold in Pennsylvania. I was at a Steelers game one winter & FROZE MY A$$ OFF (with blankets!).....NEVER AGAIN!!!
nono.gif
laugh.gif

It has been year since i have used any type of curling irons or blowdryers; however, i still use a hood dryer to do roller sets. the last time i air dryed my roller set it took all day. The set came out fine, but, it just took too long, therefore i went back to using a hood dryer for roll sets. I still use the hood dryer for deep conditioning. I live in central texas so air drying in the winter is not a issues for me because the coldest it gets here in the winter is about 30 degrees. ( would never move north because i love the warm weather).

but giving up all heat may work for you, and good luck

Peachtree,

The Ionic Dryer is supposed to be better for the hair in that it releases (negative or positive--I forget) ions that actually help condition the hair during the drying process and make it dry smoother and silkier...or something like that.

I live in southern California, so fortuntely for me we don't have too many cold or rainy days! Easy to airdry

[ QUOTE ]
Peachtree,

My comments are most like those of Lindy.

In a word, girrrrrrl, I will not be handing in my diffuser during the winter months. I've been airdrying this summer to give that tool a break. I used to airdry exclusively ALL the time. Diffuser has spoiled me badly, but from using for a good while now, my hair has not suffered. Major heat protection on my part.

Much love from a Shaker Heights homegirl,

~Jade~

P.S. Have you looked into the possibility of the Ionic Hair Dryer which Supergirl suggested? It is supposed to be great!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for replying Jade (Shake-Town in da house!)

Yeah, I'm gonna do a search for the Ionic dryer & see what I come up with.
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I have never used heat, except for the hot oil treatments and hennalucent treatment. I only see advantages for the "no heat" regimen. it is true that air drying takes a long time but I an used to it. And as far as the winter is concerned. I just air dry indors, wrapped in a towel first then loose. (central Florida has a winter with temperatures between 25 and 70 degrees, but not constently(I know that nothing
look.gif
).
Sincerely
Zanna

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Zanna
Your post is very reassuring.

[ QUOTE ]
I think airdrying is cool for the summer but my hair is NEVER dry in the morning unless I set it around 1 pm in the afternoon. SO I will definitely have to return to my hooded dryer in the winter although Dayton is not as cold as Cleveland. Plus I cannot walk in my office with half wet hair....some people would not understand if u know what I mean

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah xcellence, I "know what u mean" girl.

It's funny cuz when I 1st started airdrying after pooing, it seemed to take FOREVER!!! But now it dries so fast until I find myself "misting it" to get it wet again.
nuts.gif
laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
oh yeah peachtree, i forgot the part about the winter time. i airdry all the time in the wintertime, my routine don't really change from summer to winter. i mainly airdry and only use heat for special occasion as i said above. sometimes in the winter i'm worried about getting sick but it works. or sometimes i put on a hat. the air drying really is the best thing you can do for your hair imo:)

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the addl info. I'm gonna give it a try this winter & see how it goes.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I was wondering the same thing about the winter.I am in Canada and -10 is our avg temperature from December til March.Sometimes even as low as -25 celsius. I was walking to class that is 3 mins max away from my residence and in that time period my friend's wet hair froze!

[/ QUOTE ]

See there, I'm not trying to walk around with "icecicles" (sp??) hanging from my head
laugh.gif
!!

[/ QUOTE ]

My friend whose hair freezes just makes sure not to touch it until she reaches inside a building and it has had time to defrost.Her hair stays healthy all winter with her daily washings and airdrying.It is very thick and went from shoulder length to butt length in 8 months.5 of which were quite cold months.
I am wondering if I should do the same as she does but I am too scared.lol

[ QUOTE ]
Peachtree,

The Ionic Dryer is supposed to be better for the hair in that it releases (negative or positive--I forget) ions that actually help condition the hair during the drying process and make it dry smoother and silkier...or something like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Superhair

Girrrrl, That sounds like a "winner". I'll definitely look more into it....
trampoline.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

laugh.gif
!!

[/ QUOTE ]

My friend whose hair freezes just makes sure not to touch it until she reaches inside a building and it has had time to defrost .Her hair stays healthy all winter with her daily washings and airdrying.It is very thick and went from shoulder length to butt length in 8 months.5 of which were quite cold months.
I am wondering if I should do the same as she does but I am too scared.lol

[/ QUOTE ]

Just seeing the words "freezes" & "defrost" makes me shudder
laugh.gif

What kinda' regime (besides daily washings & airdrying) is your friend doing to get soooooo much length in a little time?? THAT'S TRULY AMAZING
trampoline.gif

Just seeing the words "freezes" & "defrost" makes me shudder
laugh.gif

What kinda' regime (besides daily washings & airdrying) is your friend doing to get soooooo much length in a little time?? THAT'S TRULY AMAZING
trampoline.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

that's the crazy part of it.She pays her hair no attention whatsoever.She uses a shampoo and conditioner she gets from the drugstore every morning.She just leaves the conditioner in her hair after shampooing and washes it out the next morning and then puts it back in again.I don't remember the name.
She is prolly a 3B and wears her hair curly everyday.So she never uses heat cuz she thinks there is no point in blowdrying if as soon as she goes outside snow will fall on her hair and turn it back curly.
It is so amazing when she gets a fresh touchup and her hair is straight for the 1st time in months.Her hair literally grows about 6 inches or more from touchup to touchup

Peachtree I started my no heat regimen in March and I think it's been helping a great deal because I haven't been getting as many split ends as I used to and it seems a little healthier. Anyway, the draw backs for me are...it takes a loooong time to dry! 3+ hours! That may not seem long to most of you, but I'm new to this and I don't consider my hair that long and thick. I usually do wet sets. I have to make sure I roll my hair right so that the curls come out smooth otherwise I get frizzies. Those seem to be the only draw backs I can think of. The ponytail method seems to work fine too for making sure it drys straight. You know we talked about that on one of your other posts.

In the winter months and when I'm in a hurry it's hard for me to airdry all of the time so I use my blow dryer occasionally on the cool setting. It gets kinda cold on my head sometimes so I may add a little warm air to it sometimes. I have a Revlon dryer that works excellent! You can set it between cool and warm just so the air isn't cold, but the air isn't very warm either. It has a finger diffuser on it for gentle heat whenever I have to use the warm setting.

I started to throw away my heat appliances, but I keep them just in case. I'm disciplined enough to only use them on occasion.

Back