Calling all NEWBIES!!!!!

Would you like to see a Newbie Support Thread?

• YES

Votes: 207 92.0%
  • NO

Votes: 18 8.0%

• Total voters

audacity.

I am only a month into this and I am still getting into the swing of things. How do you all feel about a "Newbie Support Thread?" Someplace where we, as newbies, can come and share, ask questions and keep each other motivated?

:newbie:

Great idea, I think there should also be a sticky that explains all the acronyms so that it doesn't become a redundant thing for people to have to explain. I joined pretty much so I can search properly and find out what a few of these were.

MTG - Mane Tail Groom, an oil found at www.Shapleys.com used for horses, that people use to speed the growth of hair.
BT - Boundless Tresses, also known as odorless MTG, an oil found at www.growthspecifics.com made for humans to speed growth of hair and remedy alopecia, and has a scented option that smells wonderful.
ACV - Apple Cider Vinegar, people use for rinses
TWA - Teeny Weeny Afro, self explanatory
MN - Miconazole Nitrate (stuff found in Monistat 7), a cream people use to speed growth fill in bald spots, regrow hairline.
MSM - is an vitamin/supplement that can be found under MSM. Various health benefits but also aides in hair health, texture, and in some speedier growth.

Feel free to add..

Last edited:
DenverGirl said:
I am only a month into this and I am still getting into the swing of things. How do you all feel about a "Newbie Support Thread?" Someplace where we, as newbies, can come and share, ask questions and keep each other motivated?

:newbie:

Why separate yourself? You are a part of a purposeful group here. Everyone here was once a NEWBIE, ask questions, answer questions, give your opinion. Just join the party you will not be a NEWBIE for long.

SvelteVelvet said:
Great idea, I think there should also be a sticky that explains all the acronyms so that it doesn't become a redundant thing for people to have to explain. I joined pretty much so I can search properly and find out what a few of these were.

MTG - Mane Tail Groom, an oil found at www.Shapleys.com used for horses, that people use to speed the growth of hair.
BT - Boundless Tresses, also known as odorless MTG, an oil found at www.growthspecifics.com made for humans to speed growth of hair and remedy alopecia, and has a scented option that smells wonderful.
ACV - Apple Cider Vinegar, people use for rinses
TWA - Teeny Weeny Afro, self explanatory
MN - Miconazole Nitrate (stuff found in Monistat 7), a cream people use to speed growth fill in bald spots, regrow hairline.
MSM - is an vitamin/supplement that can be found under MSM. Various health benefits but also aides in hair health, texture, and in some speedier growth.

Feel free to add..
Svelte, there is /are STICKIES explaining all..look again.

SvelteVelvet said:
It would still be nice if it was spelled out or had it's own sidebar, something more convenient. Just glancing at the titles of the stickies featured, one wouldn't know where to look. Took some searching but I found it, Thanks!

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=20774

You are welcome. I know how hard it is being new on the boards, you feel left out or ignored when you make positive comments and the person you are referring to ignores your compliment. Luckily, I learned quickly. I've learned and understand that people are busy or never revisit a thread to even know you gave them a shout out. Time, posting what concerns you personally is all it takes and not taking things personally helps a lot.

BrooklynSouth said:
Why separate yourself? You are a part of a purposeful group here. Everyone here was once a NEWBIE, ask questions, answer questions, give your opinion. Just join the party you will not be a NEWBIE for long.

ITA... I havent been here all that long but every one has things to learn new and old ask questions alike and u might not get ur questions answered if its a thread geared to newbies, the ones that have been here longer or have answeres may not frequent that thread to answer them ....just hang in there u'll get the swing of it ...We all did :)

MissMadaam said:
ITA... I havent been here all that long but every one has things to learn new and old ask questions alike and u might not get ur questions answered if its a thread geared to newbies, the ones that have been here longer or have answeres may not frequent that thread to answer them ....just hang in there u'll get the swing of it ...We all did :)

Good advice. I'm a newbie too but I've learned a lot in a short amount of time by practically devouring the threads. Feel free to PM me anytime with questions. If I don't know, I'll help you find the answer!:D

BrooklynSouth said:
You are welcome. I know how hard it is being new on the boards, you feel left out or ignored when you make positive comments and the person you are referring to ignores your compliment. Luckily, I learned quickly. I've learned and understand that people are busy or never revisit a thread to even know you gave them a shout out. Time, posting what concerns you personally is all it takes and not taking things personally helps a lot.

That was soo well put and it's the truth, alot of times i have to remind myself of this. Thanks.

hmmm. that is some good insight, thanks! i was just thinking that maybe some new folks maybe apprehensive to ask questions. but i guess not...shoot, y'all know I'M not! I think that I was feeling discouraged the last couple of days with my hair and on information overload with the boards. But I am ok now (thanks Brooklyn and MissMadam). I am DETERMINED to get that bra strap this year!!!!! And thank you to all the newbies that offered a helping hand on this particular thread! HHG!

i just wanted to add, that based on the poll, it seems that there are a few of us that would be interested in something like this. how would we go about it? any ideas...just post a thread???:confused:

DenverGirl said:
i just wanted to add, that based on the poll, it seems that there are a few of us that would be interested in something like this. how would we go about it? any ideas...just post a thread???:confused:

Yep, just posting a thread is a good route to go!:)

Hi, I'm a newbie also. but since I've been lurking for 6 months, I feel like a seasoned pro; and I am just diving in with my questions and comments.:)

Feel free to pm members to ask questions. Most of us are here to learn and are willing to share. I agree with BrooklynSouth. If you start a thread just for newbies the old heads are not going to come in this thread because we'll think it's just for newbies. And more than likey we can offer advice because we have been there.:)

Hi,

I'm a newbie myself. I can say that there's another board (it shall go nameless) that has a newbie thread and if you ask a question without going there first they almost bite your head off:perplexed. But, the ladies here at LHCF are really open and very responsive. So, unlike the other board, I don't feel the need for a specific thread for newbies because the ladies her are so awesome!:)

Jazzmommy said:
Hi,

I'm a newbie myself. I can say that there's another board (it shall go nameless) that has a newbie thread and if you ask a question without going there first they almost bite your head off:perplexed. But, the ladies here at LHCF are really open and very responsive. So, unlike the other board, I don't feel the need for a specific thread for newbies because the ladies her are so awesome!:)

I know that board and this board is very different. Almost all of these ladies are very helpful.

well, baggying is literally putting a bag on your head to retain moisture and help protect/stengthen your ends. some folks do it just on the length of thier hair in a ponytail and use a sandwich bag and twist it up and secure it. some folks seem to be baggying at night, or under a wig using a whole head method. that is basically wearing a plastic cap on your head while you sleep or under your wig. hth...

I wasn't even aware of a newbie thread! I just sort of jumped into the mix. I'm glad to know that there is newbie support here though just incase..lol.

Jazzmommy said:
Hi,

I thought I was the only one who noticed that.:eek: That's why I'm here 95% of the time.:cool:

Jazzmommy said:
Hi,

It might be that the reason that the members of that board react that way is BECAUSE there is a newbie thread. because they know that there is specifically a place to go to answer all those "beginner" questions, and they all went there when they started, they will tend to send newbies there whenever they ask questions that they know have been covered thoroughly in that area. i think us not having a newbie thread here actually lends itself to a more "willing to help newbies" mentality. because we know there is not one specific place to go for support and the long-timers likely got help by PMing and just jumping in with their questions whenever and wherever, so it's all good when they see that...

I would vote yes, if people who have been here awhile would visit the thread to answer some of our questions. I know I asked one question that didn't get answered, and it made me very discouraged for a minute, and it did make me not want to ask anymore. However, I just said oh well forget it and not let it bother me. I think i'll just search and pray someone else has asked the same question.

I would vote yes, if people who have been here awhile would visit the thread to answer some of our questions. I know I asked one question that didn't get answered, and it made me very discouraged for a minute, and it did make me not want to ask anymore. However, I just said oh well forget it and not let it bother me. I think i'll just search and pray someone else has asked the same question.

ask your question here! we can help each other out and the vets stop in from time to time...

welcome! don't get discouraged. there is a wealth of knowledge on the board and if you have a question, ASK, and then ask again until you are satisfied.

believe it or not, most of us are here to help each other.

hhg!

IMHO, i think this post is harmlessly asking for a place Newbies can go to to catch up with the vast knowledge of veterans and get acustomed to the forum. BUT fellow newbies, I do agree that this thread will cause a separation. :yep: How else do we bond with the veterans if we dont constantly put ourselves out there in an attempt to understand the forum and our hair?!

Fortunately, this forum has many resources to help us adjust - PMing members whose hair we admire, Searching past thread, Hooking up with a Big Sis or even a Mentor, AND there IS a sticker thread that lists all the posts explaining the basic things we need to know - from airdrying styles to stretching relaxers. I vote NO! :nono:

Last edited:
ask your question here! we can help each other out and the vets stop in from time to time...

welcome! don't get discouraged. there is a wealth of knowledge on the board and if you have a question, ASK, and then ask again until you are satisfied.

believe it or not, most of us are here to help each other.

hhg!

Agree or bump your post. *I tried to find it :yep:*

Let me introduce my self.
My hair type: 4a
My current length:partially shoulder and partially neck lenghth
"the top is shorter"
My hair goal: to have full healthy shoulder length hair by dec 2007.
My staples: no direct heat, rod sets every two weeks as a protective style and 14 week stretches.
Im struggling with: excessive shedding " im mean like I had to get my hormones checked shedding","malnorished chia pet shedding""do I have a thyroid problem shedding" get the point?
I have been lurking LHC since Oct 2006.

Yes, I would like to see this because I do have questions and I think you old heads may get tired of answering the same question over and over again.:grin: Like, who is Niko? :look:

I think this would be helpful.

Back