Calling All Gray(Silver) Naturals......

rayej

Please share your hair care tips, styles, and photos. There is very little information available for us. Thanks in advance.

I have lots of grays, but I color my hair regularly.

Gray hair is usually coarser and stiffer, at least mine are LOL!

You don't seem to have a lot of gray in your siggy?

I have around 30-40% nowadays growing in. But like I said, I'm at war with my grays. :lol: L'Oreal Casting every 4-6 weeks :perplexed

I'll be like my grandmother who asked us to color her hair while she was lying in her death bed.

Haven't given in totally to the grey. Started using porosity control to help color take and stay longer---mixed results.

I eagerly awaiting tips. My great-aunt is natural and gray and she HATZ it :lachen:.

She's 95 and every time I talk to her (which is several xs a week) she says, "I hate my nappy gray hair!" :lachen: I say, "love your hair and it will love you back!" She's not hearing it though. I even purchased some Qhemet Biologics and other product for her. She just doesn't like her hair, no matter what I do to show her how beautiful our natural hair is.

I've tried to find solutions for her, but aside from using henna/indigo on her, she's unhappy.

Well Ladies (ok, I am about to tell my busines...lol) -- I am approximately 80% gray! I am also about to turn 45 in about 2 months so to me, this is a freak'n shame! I have been gray since I was 16. My gray is actually "white". I am my father's child! hummm...(meaning that I mirror his genes.)

I perform protein treatments on my hair twice a week through DC'ing. I co-wash often. I also use Infusium 23 Protein Leave-in. I moisturize regularly also. I color my hair with Beigen, but when I want my gray to show, I cover it with vaseline to make sure my gray goes uncolored.

In doing these things I keep my gray - "white". I think the most unattractive thing is when your gray is yellow, or off-colored. yuk! (this really tends to make you look old)

As aforementioned, gray can be very strong and coarse. There are times when I just love my gray! Others, not so much (and it makes me feel old), so I color all my hair at the same time. *sigh*...I would like to keep a strip of gray hair in the front, so I plan to manipulate my hair coloring in the future. (we'll c....)

Anyway, for shampoo's I use Dr. Bronner or Plamer's Olive Oil Shampoo. One thing I have learned is that you have to be careful of the shampoos that you choose also. If there is a high PH Balance in the shampoo it too can turn your gray yellow.

This may not be much information listed, but I do HTH...
Take Care Ladies..

Last edited:
My mother is gray but relaxed, I know it is not what you want, but anyway she uses moisturizing conditiones, loves the neutrogena line, and for to maintain her silver uses a shampoo by Salerm that's not for sale in Cuba now. She is visiting me for a few months and I want to buy her some Phytargent shampoo which I've heard is very good but not for sale at my local Sephora. Next month I'll buy her the Aveda blue malva shampoo and conditioner. You could also try the Clairol Shimmering Lights.
I'm almost 60% gray but I dye it (37 y.old, I've been gray since my 20s), I have recently stopped colouring my white streak in the front, I am also relaxed.

edited to add: there's a picture of my mom's hair in the Family album onmy fotki, I love her hair.

I posted posted a current photo in my avitar. I gave up being nautral and the the color this year in May. Prior to that I was shoulder length (when straightened) and natural. I loved my natural hair I mainly wore it twisted. It was always so healthy. I haven't seen a lot of gray naturals especially who wear twists, so I was a little afraid of what I would look like--Gray Natural and twisted. I am 52 and have been turning gray since my late twenties. I do not like being realxed. My hair is so dry and I am having a lot of breakage not matter what I do.....this has alway been the case with my hair when relaxed. It is time for me to make a decison because it is time to relax again. Does any one have knowledge of any photos of gray naturals? Gray twists? Any advice is appreciated.

posted posted a current photo in my avitar. I gave up being nautral and the the color this year in May. Prior to that I was shoulder length (when straightened) and natural. I loved my natural hair I mainly wore it twisted. It was always so healthy. I haven't seen a lot of gray naturals especially who wear twists, so I was a little afraid of what I would look like--Gray Natural and twisted. I am 52 and have been turning gray since my late twenties. I do not like being realxed. My hair is so dry and I am having a lot of breakage not matter what I do.....this has alway been the case with my hair when relaxed. It is time for me to make a decison because it is time to relax again. Does any one have knowledge of any photos of gray naturals? Gray twists? Any advice is appreciated.

posted posted a current photo in my avitar. I gave up being nautral and the the color this year in May. Prior to that I was shoulder length (when straightened) and natural. I loved my natural hair I mainly wore it twisted. It was always so healthy. I haven't seen a lot of gray naturals especially who wear twists, so I was a little afraid of what I would look like--Gray Natural and twisted. I am 52 and have been turning gray since my late twenties. I do not like being realxed. My hair is so dry and I am having a lot of breakage not matter what I do.....this has alway been the case with my hair when relaxed. It is time for me to make a decison because it is time to relax again. Does any one have knowledge of any photos of gray naturals? Gray twists? Any advice is appreciated.

Haven't got a clue but will subscribe/follow thread closely as I am slowly getting greyer.

Just have to add:

Lovely hair (v. pretty) and you look very young for your age.:grin:

'Tis all.

The only picture that comes to mind is that Lysol commercial lady. LOL Seriously though, I'm natural and had my first silver hair at age 11 or 12. I've been coloring since age 18. Currently I'm using henna; not for the color, but for the conditioning benefits. Lately, I've been feeling like it is a hassle. I'm thinking more and more that I want to just let my silver hair grow out. My grandmother had beautiful long natural, white, hair, and I always thought it was amazing. I have no idea how my silver hair will look, but I've been paying more attention to it lately and thinking that the silver is pretty. I know however that the growing out process is going to be crazy, because I do not plan to cut the hennaed hair. I'll be two-toned for a while.

The only thing that I can say is, you have to do you and not worry so much about what others are doing. If you like your gray twists, then that is all that is important. I wish I could offer more information, but I'll keep a look out for grey/white/silver naturals. If I find them I'll try to post a link, or a pic.

ETA: As far as hair care is concerned I shampoo (poo bar) and deep condition once a week, and CO and deep condition once a week. Do a heavy protein treatment every 8 to 12 weeks, and henna when I feel like it. I moisturize daily, and that's about it.

Last edited:
EC6-27-09 001.jpg

TWISTS REMOVED 6-27-09 005.jpg

THE BIG CHOP-TWISTED 6-19-09 005.jpg

That's it for me so far, twists and fros. I con-poo, deep condition, spritz with a mixture of water/S-curl and an Ojon juice, topped with oil in the morning to lift the twists. I do my own twists now-never combed just grab and twist, sometimes a gel is used for hold; those pictured were by a braider. I keep my hair well moisturized with Alba leave-in.

Last edited:
I hope this member won't mind me posting this, but she is one member that comes to mind when you mention gray naturals. Her user name is Suburbanbushbabe and her hair is amazing. As crazy as this sounds she has inspired me to actually consider not coloring my hair when I do start to gray.

Here is her fotki:
http://members.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/about/

She has her regimen and information about her hair on that site.
It's open to the public so I hope she doesn't mind me posting this.

I hope this member won't mind me posting this, but she is one member that comes to mind when you mention gray naturals. Her user name is Suburbanbushbabe and her hair is amazing. As crazy as this sounds she has inspired me to actually consider not coloring my hair when I do start to gray.

Here is her fotki:

I admire her hair too!

i've been graying since high school. i hate the coarseness but i love the color of my grays. i HATE ppl pointing out the fact that i have grays (like i don't have a mirror) LOL

twists here

i use elucence products, trader joe's nourish conditioner, i co wash a lot and rarely use heat or straighten. i twist my hair myself often.

here is a good source: suburbanbushbabe (you can do a search engine and a lot of links for her come up) she's a gray natural transitioning out her color (she may have completed the transition by now) & is a member here.

http://suburbanbushbabe.blogspot.com/

http://public.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/

her thread on gray twist hair

View attachment 41510

View attachment 41512

View attachment 41514

That's it for me so far, twists and fros. I con-poo, deep condition, spritz with a mixture of water/S-curl and an Ojon juice, topped with oil in the morning to lift the twists. I do my own twists now-never combed just grab and twist, sometimes a gel is used for hold; those pictured were by a braider. I keep my hair well moisturized with Abba leave-in.

Love the pics.

Here is her fotki:

Thanks for the reminder; I'd forgotten about Suburbanbushbabe. Her color to gray transition went very well.

i've been graying since high school. i hate the coarseness but i love the color of my grays. i HATE ppl pointing out the fact that i have grays (like i don't have a mirror) LOL

twists here

i use elucence products, trader joe's nourish conditioner, i co wash a lot and rarely use heat or straighten. i twist my hair myself often.

here is a good source: suburbanbushbabe (you can do a search engine and a lot of links for her come up) she's a gray natural transitioning out her color (she may have completed the transition by now) & is a member here.

http://suburbanbushbabe.blogspot.com/

http://public.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/

her thread on gray twist hair

Your hair is pretty too. :up:

Ladies, thank you for all the useful information and links. Brooklynsouth your hair is absolutely gorgeous! Thanks for sharing the photos. LHF rocks!

I am in my 20's and I am 30-40% grey. I use henna to cover it, so it looks like reddish streaks. It's pretty cool. As a natural I twist my hair. You might want to check out www.napturality.com to see if there's photo albums of what you are seeking. I know pookeylou's mom is natural and grey, and she wears her hair in twists and it just looks so regal. Check it out :). You might also want to try a google search under natural grey hair in twists, or something like that to see what image results or web sites it directs you too.Girl, come on back over to the natural side. I mean if you are not happy with the relaxer, you can always transition again :) hth!

After much thought and longing for my natural hair again, I have decided to transition again......no more relaxing. I will keep you posted on my progress. Thanks for all your responses.

Back