Bye Bye Coconut Oil. Hello BABASSU Oil! -- Whose tried it?

westNDNbeauty

Sharing my experience with a product containing the oil. Ladies let me hear yours!

Well, not completely — coconut oil will still be in my product rotation, but babassu oil can be a great substitute!

This brazilian nut oil is harvested similarly to coconut oil; the babassu nut falls from a tree which looks much like a coconut tree, the meat is pressed, extracting the oil which is used in many cosmetic products for hair and skin. This oil is also used for cooking. Unlike coconut oil, babassu is non-comedogenic and absorbs well into the skin for a non-greasy feeling.

MORE: Benefits of Coconut Oil on Black Hair (active link on blog)

This absorption property is also true for babassu’s use in hair. I was recently sent a sample of Brown Butter Beauty’s Babassu Cream Deep Conditioner (Babbasu Butter Love Deep Conditioner) and was very impressed. I decided to do a side-by-side with HairVeda’s Sitrinillah, a coconut oil based conditioner, where each conditioner was applied to 1/2 of my hair. I found both conditioners left my hair feeling very moisturized and curls were poppin’, but there were a few differences…

Immediately upon application to dry hair, the BCDC had incredible slip and began to detangle. Even using my method of slathering conditioner, this 8oz jar went a long way (approx 3 applications). Both conditioners were left on for approximately 3 1/2 hours with a Therapy Wrap. When I rinsed, I noticed that the BDBC seemed to completely absorb into my hair and the 1/2 of my hair, which had the Sitrinillah, left an oily residue (as usual).

Visually, the textures of Sitrinillah and BCDC are similar. Both very thin, but creamy; the Sitrinillah has a bit thinner consistency. The scent of the BCDC is weird, but bearable and does not linger (kind of like castor or sapote oil). I’m not completely sure what babassu oil smells like on its own, but judging by this product I don’t anticipate it to be offensive.

Overall, if you take well to HairVeda’s Sitrinillah, you may want to give Brown Butter Beauty’s Babassu Cream Deep Conditioner a try. There’s a strong possibility you may like it even more than Sitrinillah. I do!

MORE: Top Ingredients to Look for in Natural Products (active link on blog)

In reading reviews of the oil alone, many seem to prefer the use of babassu oil to coconut oil all together. Also mentioned was the rancid scent that occurs with coconut oil (while in the hair) after a period of time. This is said not to happen with babassu oil.

To further experience the benefits of this oil I’m researching suppliers of this oil in its pure state. Looking forward to adding this oil to other products, oil rinsing, pre-pooing, and everything in between , then reporting back to you guys.

MORE: Don’t Believe Pre-Pooing is Beneficial? Here’s Proof! (active link on blog)

What has been your experience with babassu oil?

Oh that first picture is going to give the jitters to some members in here! lol
(not me)
Thanks for this info, do you know of any hair products that contain this oil?

Have both in my Stash. Love them both.

Nice Review. I'll have to do a comparison as well.

ETA: I meant, both Products i.e. HV Sitrinillah and BBB Babassu DC'er

Last edited:
Does this oil penetrate the hair shaft like coconut oil? I love the benefits of co but I hate the smell of it in my hair.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

I have both, but I haven't used the babassu oil in a while. IMO coconut oil is slightly lighter and penetrates better. Babassu is creamier. As stated in the OP babassu is the coconut oil of the Amazon. If you've used Aveda products you'll notice this oil as an ingredient on a lot of their labels.

I just receive the Brown Butter Beauty’s Babassu Cream Deep Conditioner. I haven't tried it yet.

Pokahontas

The scent of the BCDC is weird, but bearable and does not linger (kind of like castor or sapote oil). I’m not completely sure what babassu oil smells like on its own, but judging by this product I don’t anticipate it to be offensive.

i have babasu does not give any shine but it is a super moisturizer and is excellent when using with henna. smells like popcorn to me.

Why did this picture make me hairgasm?

bbb2-e1338060043969.jpg

A nut that looks like boobies :blondboob: and smells like popcorn?:pop:I think I need this too. :love3:

the many breasted tree!

You ladies are cracking me up! :lachen:

Anyways, I would love to try the Brown Butter Beauty’s Babassu Cream Deep Conditioner but $15 for 8oz? I go through deep conditioner too quickly to spend that kind of money. I have used chagrin valley's shampoo bar that contained babassu and had great results so I am not surprised if some people like it just as much as (if not more than) evco.

I think I'd rather purchase the oil. You can get 16oz for $10. http://www.fromnaturewithlove.com/soap/product.asp?product_id=ORGOILBABASSU ...after looking on the website it looks a lot like coconut oil. Interesting.

I would be more interested in the oil rather than the dc. My skin loves evco (even my face!) So I wouldnt mind playing around with the tree of many boobs oil to see if it is better. My hair used to love evco but here in India my hair threw a tantrum and hasnt really responded to it. When I chopped off all my hair my little stuble hair didnt like it either (left my hair crunchy instead of soft) so I dunno

^^thamks for bumping. It is sold out on the site. There is behentrimonium methosulfate in it. I wonder if this ingredient is damaging to the hair.

Any other reviews?

^^thamks for bumping. It is sold out on the site. There is behentrimonium methosulfate in it. I wonder if this ingredient is damaging to the hair.

Any other reviews?

BTMS is an emulsifier. It's not the harsh sulfates like SLS. A lot of natural haircare companies use it.

I still love that babassu DC from Brown Butter Beauty. I ordered a large one during the last Black Friday sale.

Back