Buy Less In 2009

La Colocha

Hi ladies, some ladies have asked for another no buy challenge this month. But instead i was thinking of a buy less in 09. This is not a no buy, You do not have to sign up. This is to establish your personal goals to save money on buying products this year. You can set your own limit on how much you want to spend per month on products. Anyone is welcome.
My personal goal for the month of march is to spend no more than $30.00. Tell me what you ladies think and feel free to share your personal goals. Lets save in 09.

Hey girl! I will limit my goals for the month or march to be $50.00 only because I need another bottle of MT (I want to keep a stash...the word is getting out) and I need some EP mango butter, with my Aphogee Keratin Green Tea Leave-In...

I need to stick to this. Enjoyed the last challenge.

Hey girl! I will limit my goals for the month or march to be $50.00 only because I need another bottle of MT (I want to keep a stash...the word is getting out) and I need some EP mango butter, with my Aphogee Keratin Green Tea Leave-In...

I need to stick to this. Enjoyed the last challenge.

I enjoyed it to sonya. I thought this would be a good thing to do, we can share our goals with each other and help support each other. thank you.

I love saving. I don't think it'll be a problem for me to spend less for hair products in 2009 because my hair care product stash looks good right now. I don't think I'll need anything for quite a while.

I have definitely slowed my roll. I am working on using products that I have. I went to TJ Maxx today but I only bought products that I genuinely need, like thermal styling aids since I will be straightening my hair soon. I'm not jumping on any more product bandwagons because I know my staple products now.

I don't care how many people say Wen is the holy grail. I'm not buying any :nono2:

I don't care how many people say Wen is the holy grail. I'm not buying any :nono2:

Don't buy it. It worked great but it smelled like cough syrup (every single one of them smelled like robitussin to me).

And, it's overpriced. You could get like 7 bottles of Trader Joe's Nourish Spa conditioner for the price of the 16oz Wen. And it smells better, works just as well, if not better, and lasts longer.

I think this is a great idea! I already buy the least amount of products possible and they're all really cheap so I don't have a problem in this area. I made a conscious decision to use all natural products and to use the cheapest available and now it's easy.

Don't buy it. It worked great but it smelled like cough syrup (every single one of them smelled like robitussin to me).

And, it's overpriced. You could get like 7 bottles of Trader Joe's Nourish Spa conditioner for the price of the 16oz Wen. And it smells better, works just as well, if not better, and lasts longer.

I think this is a great idea! I already buy the least amount of products possible and they're all really cheap so I don't have a problem in this area. I made a conscious decision to use all natural products and to use the cheapest available and now it's easy.

Hi msa i want to thank you for sharing how you use castor oil and water. It got me thinking to try my avocado butter and water. My hair loves it now i know that i don't have to put alot of products in my hair at one time.

I love Trader Joe's NS is just as good? That's my co-wash/cream rinse staple!! :up: :thankyou: I'll never be tempted again!

:giggle:. We can still use your support mona.

Oh, no doubt LaC...no doubt...:yep:

I'm trying to buy less as well.

It may seem like I'm buying a lot, but I'm actually buying bulk amounts or large/salon sized conditioners or items that have been discounted or grouped together to save on shipping (love the exchange board here) and restocks [usually my staples, not so much new stuff] so my spending is actually starting to trickle down about now..:yep: If there's a coupon or a sale that benefits me...I'm there.

Hi msa i want to thank you for sharing how you use castor oil and water. It got me thinking to try my avocado butter and water. My hair loves it now i know that i don't have to put alot of products in my hair at one time.

You're welcome! I'm glad you found something that worked for you.

I'm telling you, water and castor oil just makes my life so much easier (and cheaper). And it lets my hair breathe and just be, without too much interference from me.

Btw, I love your username.

True that...true....but TJ's Nourish and Spa Conditioner [edited to add]caused tangling for me...so, while nice price point wise...not very beneficial for my head..

my hair has been :love: WEN....can't believe I avoided it so long:blush: exactly because of the price point :nono:..but when the installment plan became available [thanks for the unkowing push JN and Toy], I could no longer resist and I don't regret it one bit. It was worth it.

The saying on here goes...everything doesn't work for all heads...but it doesn't mean it don't work for some..

Last edited:
Good thread. I agree since I currently have my hair in braids to protect it from myself (yeah, I said it) and I am on a no-poo/less cone/co-wash kick concerning my dd's hair. I washed her hair two weeks ago with condish and baking soda. Niiice. Thanks msa and others who consistently do this (is this the "thanks, msa" thread?). I use a mixture of oils and condish for my dd's twists and life is so much easier, on our heads and me!!!
So after I take my braids down, I will be using up the products I already have.

True that...true....but TJ's Nourish and Spa Conditioner was ripping my hair out...so, while nice price point wise...not very beneficial for my head..

my hair has been :love: WEN....can't believe I avoided it so long:blush: exactly because of the price point :nono:..but when the installment plan became available [thanks for the unkowing push JN and Toy], I could no longer resist and I don't regret it one bit. It was worth it.

The saying on here goes...everything doesn't work for all heads...but it doesn't mean it don't work for some..

The conditioner was ripping your hair out? How so? Was it your method of combing? Please explain because one of my friends just started using it after I recommended it so I just want to give her a heads up if I need to.

Wen was nice. It just smelled horrible and was overpriced for those ingredients, which you can find in less expensive conditioners that are more easily accessible. I've been to his salon here with a friend and even a stylist there felt it was overpriced for what it was and that you could find comparable things on the market.

But you're right, it has worked for a lot of people and that's great.

True that...true....but TJ's Nourish and Spa Conditioner was ripping my hair out...so, while nice price point wise...not very beneficial for my head..

I don't understand why it would rip your hair out, however I am natural so I wonder if that makes a difference. I like NS as a cream rinse, it gives me great slip for my final detangle step which sounds like the exact opposite for you.

The conditioner was ripping your hair out? How so? Was it your method of combing? Please explain because one of my friends just started using it after I recommended it so I just want to give her a heads up if I need to.

Wen was nice. It just smelled horrible and was overpriced for those ingredients, which you can find in less expensive conditioners that are more easily accessible. I've been to his salon here with a friend and even a stylist there felt it was overpriced for what it was and that you could find comparable things on the market.

I'm with you on the overpriced. I rather just live without it than to try it, fall in love and then be bummed out because I can justify it in my budget. I have to save money for my nail polish and nutritional supplements as well so I need all those costs balance out in my budget.

I finally figured out what my staples are and how to best care for my cotton fluff natural hair! So I can stay focused now and not be all ADD ADHD with everyone else with all the products running around this board.

Bumping...

I am using the envelope system to help me with my goals. I am also using this for my personal financial goals. I have an envelope for bills, personal things, entertainment, etc. Once i spend the money in the envelope it is done until the next month, And if i have some money left over that money goes straight to savings and i start over with each envelope at the beginning of the month. I have been doing this for one month and it has helped me alot. Ladies also feel free to post how you are saving. Coupons,specials etc. If you are buying on ground i know the newspaper has coupons for different products and in store specials. Some stores have rebates also. Also for internet purchases we have discount codes here and companies have sales all the time. Every little bit helps.

:lol: I'm sowry, my bad @ msa and Atlanta....I shouldn't have said ripping...all the doggone tangling made me feel like I was ripping my hair out - that's better... :lol: it just didn't agree with my hair. I tried to make it work though :ohwell:.

I gave it away to my thick haired cousin.

Glad it worked for y'all though..:yep:

Bumping...

I am using the envelope system to help me with my goals. I am also using this for my personal financial goals. I have an envelope for bills, personal things, entertainment, etc. Once i spend the money in the envelope it is done until the next month, And if i have some money left over that money goes straight to savings and i start over with each envelope at the beginning of the month. I have been doing this for one month and it has helped me alot. Ladies also feel free to post how you are saving. Coupons,specials etc. If you are buying on ground i know the newspaper has coupons for different products and in store specials. Some stores have rebates also. Also for internet purchases we have discount codes here and companies have sales all the time. Every little bit helps.
This is a great idea, I need to do something similar :scratchch

ETA: :idea: I want a Pibbs, an envelope system would be perfect to make that purchase!!

Last edited:
:lol: I'm sowry, my bad @ msa and Atlanta....I shouldn't have said ripping...all the doggone tangling made me feel like I was ripping my hair out - that's better... :lol: it just didn't agree with my hair. I tried to make it work though :ohwell:.

I gave it away to my thick haired cousin.

Glad it worked for y'all though..:yep:

Thanks for explaining, I was scared there for a minute. So far my friend really likes it (especially since it's so cheap). I liked it as well, but I don't use it anymore because it's not 100% natural.

Oh yeah that's a great way to save money. All my stuff is cheap. Baking soda, castor oil, ingredients for the caramel DC, other groceries that work on hair (like coconut milk).

CVS is a great place to shop for hair products because of those extra care bucks you build up. Also target has great sales often.

Why?:wallbash: Why did i go in the no cone conditioner thread?:wallbash: Why was i curious to see what elucence conditioner was?:wallbash: Why is the search function my friend and i dedcide to goolgle this which led me to curlmart which led me to elucence,which led me to discover that this conditioner is 60%off, $8.00.:nono: Why do i want to buy this so bad that my stomach hurts, i don't need it. I bought the things on my list that i wanted to try. But in my mind i keep seeing elucence $8.00. I need help, i think im cursed:sad:.But im not going to buy it. Rant off.

well if you do buy it make sure to use the code IVILLAGE for a 20% discount

that's probably not helping but just save as much as possible if you decide to buy :lol:

I've been wanting to buy it for a while, but I have so many conditioners that I need to use up first. No need to add another.

I have slowed down some on purchasing hair products already but I must admit that I am now working on taking care of my hair from the inside out via vitamins and supplements. My whole body is benefitting from this new change and besides I have enough hair products to last me at least 2-3 years, maybe more, depending on how fast I use them up:grin:.

I know that now that I am transitioning to texlaxed hair that I may have to add some other type of products like products to make curls pop, etc, but apart from that, I should be fine for a long while yet. This "challenge" is great for me right now and to be honest, I need this kind of support:drunk:.

well if you do buy it make sure to use the code IVILLAGE for a 20% discount

that's probably not helping but just save as much as possible if you decide to buy :lol:

I've been wanting to buy it for a while, but I have so many conditioners that I need to use up first. No need to add another.

I know kay thanks im not going to get it. I will concentrate on what i have. It was so tempting though.

Im still doing good so far im done purchasing this month. I have maybe a dollar and some change left to put in savings from my budget. Now i have to wait until april 1st. For my next balance, i like doing this it gives me some kind of control over what i purchase. And i even have a few staples now. Hopefully i can get to the day where i only have to restock on staples.

This is the end of the second week and im feeling kind of bad. There are so many things on sale its just ridiculous, dirt cheap. Im loving the products that i have but i want more:look:. I hope this feeling passes.

I did purchase today....

Megatek (cause I was running out)
Elasta QP Mango Butter (needed a new moisturizer)
Aphogee green tea Leave in--needed my daily shot of protein! My hair hearts it!
And one spiral curled phony pony! (Great protective style)

That's it for March!

Back