Bunning your hair???

CHANNYY

Hey Ladies,

I just started my journey to acheive healthy hair! After doing much research, I started to bun my hair after reading many people have had success with this protective style method However, I heard also little manipulation is the key. Which brings me to my question?

1) How often do you take your bun down? When I say down I mean the bun and ponytail?? Daily, Weekly, etc..

If you do take your bun down everyday to mositurize and seal have you seen results? To me, everyday you would have to comb and brush your hair back into the ponytail and then bun. Which doesnt cut down on little manipulation.

I'm realizing on this journey everything is about trail in error. I just dont want to spend a great deal of time and not get any results. Any insight will be greatly appreciated!!

Channy

I wear a twisted bun....i take it down, but keep it in twists when I go to bed...put a bag over it. I have started to move the bun palcement around. Sometimes i will put it near the back of my head and sometimes near the top. I try not to use tight bun holders. hope that helps....

You can also search "buns" on this site...

Hello, welcome to the journey! The bun should be our LHCF mascot. :lol:
I take my bun down daily if for nothing else than time redo it and tidy it up. Bunning has worked well for me, even with the daily manipulation.

I take mine down twice a week. When I get home from work, I remove the bun, leave the ponytail, spritz the hair and apply some oil or butter to the ends. I finger comb and make two twists with the hair and put on my scarf/bonnet. In the morning I finger comb the twists out, put the donut on and rebun.

I wash mid-week, typically on Wednesday, and place the ponytail in a different position for the next few days. Redoing the entire thing nightly was too much manipulation for my hair :nono:, so this is a good compromise.

I take it down daily to spritz with a moisturizer and water and seal. I also like to comb it with a wide tooth comb to get rid of any dead hairs, because if I don't they linger and turn into little tangle balls.

Personally, I need some type of manipulation. My hair does not do well without, it will mat and tangle. :( So I take it down every 1-3 days. Fourth day is seriously pushing it. I didn't take it down all week last day and omgosh the 3 hour detangling session wasn't worth it. :ohwell: I think if you wear it in the exact same style it will cut down on manipulation. Like if wear one braid, I can take out the bun comb and moisturize and braid it again. But I can't say daily manipulation really hurts me.

I usually wear a braided bun but i'm going to try to do a different one every week.

I do wear an invisible net wrapped around my bun to keep it in place so it doesn't get shifty especially since I work out with it and such.

I protective style 90% of the time, one style being a bun. I take it down everyday to moisturize and seal, but not comb/brush. I only use a comb once a week on wash day, the other days are finger detangling days. So very low manipulation.

When I bun, I take it down every other day or so and spritz the roots. Apply oils to seal and put it back up.
I only finger comb it when I do this.

Weekly I prepoo with oils and detangle with a wide tooth comb to remove shed hair.

I can't go more than a day or two. More than that leaves me with matted roots.
Sent from my iPhone while out living my best life!

I take my bun down nightly, moisturize/seal, scarf hair for the evening. Redo bun in the morning.

My buns don't involve brushing or a ponytail. I just twist my hair around itself and secure it, so there's not a whole lot of manipulation involved.

I put my hair in a bun in the morning before work and take it out in the evening when I get home. Sometimes I cowash, sometimes I moisturize, sometimes I just oil my ends. Then it goes in a loose bun on top of my head for bed.

Some days I put extra effort into it and do a sock bun or something somewhat nice looking, but I get breakage from ponytails, so I don't do buns that involve them often. i like to secure my bun with pins or a hair stick.

xfre6f.gif

I wanna get back into bunning but I'm scared of the breakage I think I was getting from bunning daily.

Now that I look back at it, I'm thinking my ponytails were too tight. Plus, I never rotated the position of the bun.

I'm trying to do better in 2012 because that really is my all-time favorite ps and I think my hair does a lot better with less manipulation.

I take mine down every three to four days, to detangle my hair and throughly moisturize and seal it. I do this mostly because waiting too long leads to vicious tangling at the roots, which results in breakage.

If my hair is looking or feeling dry in between, I spritz with a moisturizing spray, which lets it stay moist without having to manipulate.

I take the bun down and moisturize/seal the length of my hair daily, and I also baggy the length of my hair at night. I take the whole thing down and moisturize/seal my whole head every other day.

I can go about 3 days with the same bun in. I wash and deep condition on Tuesdays and Saturdays so I try to keep it bunned between wash days but if it gets TOO frizzy/messy, I will take it down, smooth the back and front, and re-bun. Because I deep condition twice a week, use 2 leave-ins (spray for detangling, cream for moisture) and seal with a heavy moisturizer (one of the Alikay Naturals hair butters) on both wash days, there's no need for me to moisturize on any day other than wash day.

I take it down daily, moisturize and I make 4 loose braids at night.
I don't use any tools though: if I need to smooth down my hair, I use aloe vera gel or flax gel or a butter. Bobby pins sometimes. And I use satin scrunchies or I cut some leggings or nylon socks to make my scrunchies.

My bun is never wet as it would give me a headache and mushy hair. Flax gel is good for adding a bit of water without it being too much.
I started bunning when I chopped my hair at neck length: I made sure I could make a small tucked in pony tail that looked good in a scrunchie before big chopping (it looked like a bun), which saved me from the madness of styling or shaping my hair daily.

I've been trying to decide what to do with wearing my hair in a bun to avoid too much manipulation.

Last Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, I was able to get away with not having to redo my bun. I just kept my hair in a high bun morning and night. At night, I would just spray some Shea Moisture Mist and apply some Curl Enhancing Smoothie and wrap my edges/sides with a scarf to lay down any frizz. It worked pretty well for me. :yep:

i bun daily, no combs or brushes. i use spin pins to secure it. i m&s nightly. i wash my hair twice a week to get rid of buildup.

Hi:wave:! I use one of those synthetic hair scrunchies that I got at Sally's and I use it every day. I take it out in the evening to LOC every other night, put a flexi rod and wrap for the night. I then put my scrunchie bun in in the morning. I have not suffered any breakage - I have done my hair like this since March 2011. I place it sometimes on top, low, or sides. It is very versatile and I love the fact that my hair is healthier and retaining length:yep:.
HHGJ!

Back