Bunners--Do you bun until next wash day?

Do you bun until the next wash day?

• Yes

Votes: 30 17.4%
  • No, I rebun.

Votes: 142 82.6%

• Total voters
good question. I had always wondered if people were keeping the same bun for days at a time. I rebun every morning. I wear my hair loose at night wrapped in my scarf.

I do this too. :yep: I am a 4C and if I bun only once a week, my new growth would look like I am T-Pains twin sister.

I put my bun up every morning, and take it down at night and put my hair in 6 little buns for the night.

I bun in the morning take it down every night moisturize and massage my scalp and I rebun the next morning I repeat this everyday:)

I suspect you might be my hair cousin/twin or some other family member!

How do you keep your bun neat after setting it the first time? After my washing session, I bun it, maybe put some heavy butters or aloe vera gel on the top and tie it down for bed. Although I keep it in until wash day on the weekend, I notice it gets puffy (keeps growing the more I move away from wash day) and the hair gets very tangled inside. So how do you take it down every night and put it back in so nicely? are you untangling as well? With a comb/fingers?

No, I rebun but I never comb through my hair. I just resmooth the ponytail to the back and moisturize and rebun. Never combing:yep: Well, actually I'm not a bunner, I'm a baggier:grin:but I redo it everyday!

I absolutely stay bunned until the next wash. If I took it down, it would be all over. :perplexed I usually CW twice a week and clarify on Sat or Sun. To stay moisturized I apply quite a bit of Hair Milk and Shea Butter Creme while wet. To maintain the bun until the next wash, I just splash on a little water, smooth down with pomade and tie it down with a silk scarf. This is really low maintenance for me and, but just enough maintenance to maintain my hair's health.

I take down my bun and moisturize at night. I just take the pins out, though, I don't take down the actual ponytail.

I absolutely stay bunned until the next wash. If I took it down, it would be all over. :perplexed I usually CW twice a week and clarify on Sat or Sun. To stay moisturized I apply quite a bit of Hair Milk and Shea Butter Creme while wet. To maintain the bun until the next wash, I just splash on a little water, smooth down with pomade and tie it down with a silk scarf. This is really low maintenance for me and, but just enough maintenance to maintain my hair's health.

Divine22,
I usually keep my buns in until the next wash which is 1/week.
I'm a kinky headed natural.
It sounds like you do the same except for the fact that you wash 2/week. Does this mean you take down your bun down every 2-3 days or so and redo? My hair gets very dry and tangled by the 3rd or 4th day so I'm wondering if I should CW 2/week to keep my bun fresh. Whatcha think?

And what do you do about your edges? I get nervous that my edges suffer by pulling my hair back. I don't pull tightly (I don't think and don't know how to measure whether I am doing too much or not. All I know is that it doesn't hurt and I don't see any white bumps). I keep it down mostly because of the heavy products I put on it to keep it down, water and a scarf. I should probably put some MN in the front to encourage more growth with some castor oil. I try to avoid using any gels but if I do need some, I'll use my generic Stop n Shop Aloe Vera gel (used to protect against sunburn) and on special occasions the IC with sparklelite.

Any advice? Bun experts....

I bun 5 times a week. I let my hair out the day after wash day (Monday) and on Tuesday. The rest of the week it's in a bun using a foam donut, which keeps my ends moisturized, tucked under and protected. ;)

doesn't the foam just suck the moisture right out of your hair? I have foam donut too, but haven't used for fear of doing more harm than good

I rebun and moisturize. My hair is really prone to tangling and matting in areas so I have to keep it detangled.

doesn't the foam just suck the moisture right out of your hair? I have foam donut too, but haven't used for fear of doing more harm than good

I use it too and this is a good question. I bun daily because I cowash daily after my 3-4 days with my hair out.. I hate frizzy buns so I just start over daily..

I covered my foam donut with an old satin scarf...I cut up the scarf and sewed it onto the foam. Its wonderful now, slippery and not sucking away moisture.

i cant do it... my buns get jacked up in my sleep. and i need acess to my hair and scalp once a day

I try to re-bun and moisturize daily.

When folks refer to manipulation, I think they are usually referring to the unnecessary stress and/or breakage resulting from combing or otherwise rough handling of the hair. Simply taking the bobbi pins out of my bun, gently sectioning my hair with my fingers, moisturizing my scalp/ends, and rebunning is not what I would consider manipulation. I dont use a comb or brush, and once Im finished moisturizing i re-bun and smooth my hair gently with my fingers.

The whole procedure is simple and involves minimal manipulation and, subsequently, little to no hair loss. :)

ETA: I feel compelled to add that there have been occasions when Ive bunned a full week without taking it down to moisturize. However, this was done more so out of laziness, or my schedule was simply too busy and i was unable to do so..... but not because i was concerned about minimizing manipulation.

This describes me 100%.

Yes I bun until next wash day...:yep:
I don't take my bun down unless it loose or is no longer smooth but other than that it stays up til wash day.. I sometimes take the excess hair and moisturize it then re wrap it around my hair ball then secure my scrunchie back on..:grin:

i bun with out taking it out. my hair takes a bit of elbow grease to slick back the way i like it and it stays there for a week. i tried taking it down every day but its too much manipulation for me.I also do not moisturize my ends after the initial bunning my ends will dread while they dry especially when i dont use a sock. i can go longer than a week if i dont put too much gel. 2 weeks max. the key is just not to put it tight and make the gel do the work. this is how i can cositently gain length. in my avi is a loose bun although it dosent look like it.

I couldn't sleep in that thing. Girrrl, I can hardly drive in 'em. My bun keeps hitting the headrest of the automobile!!!!!!!!! :wallbash:

I co-wash in the evening, re-wet in the morning and then make a bun/updo with the ends protected. Repeat daily.

Back