Bunners--Do you bun until next wash day?

Do you bun until the next wash day?

• Yes

Votes: 30 17.4%
  • No, I rebun.

Votes: 142 82.6%

• Total voters

amwcah

Do you bun until next wash day? Or, do you take down your bun everyday and moisturize? I know that the less manipulation is better, but what about your hair becoming dry. Is this a concern?

I bun 5 times a week. I let my hair out the day after wash day (Monday) and on Tuesday. The rest of the week it's in a bun using a foam donut, which keeps my ends moisturized, tucked under and protected. ;)

I bun in the morning take it down every night moisturize and massage my scalp and I rebun the next morning I repeat this everyday:)

I try to re-bun and moisturize daily.

When folks refer to manipulation, I think they are usually referring to the unnecessary stress and/or breakage resulting from combing or otherwise rough handling of the hair. Simply taking the bobbi pins out of my bun, gently sectioning my hair with my fingers, moisturizing my scalp/ends, and rebunning is not what I would consider manipulation. I dont use a comb or brush, and once Im finished moisturizing i re-bun and smooth my hair gently with my fingers.

The whole procedure is simple and involves minimal manipulation and, subsequently, little to no hair loss. :)

ETA: I feel compelled to add that there have been occasions when Ive bunned a full week without taking it down to moisturize. However, this was done more so out of laziness, or my schedule was simply too busy and i was unable to do so..... but not because i was concerned about minimizing manipulation.

Last edited:
I wear a braided bun. Every morning, I remove the elastic from my braid, add moisturizer and oil to to the top of my head, rake/smooth/brush the top of my hair back into place, then replace the elastic. I then undo my braid, moisturize and oil my hair, and then rebraid. I guess this qualifies as re-bunning, although I only comb my hair through on wash days.

guesswho said:
I bun in the morning take it down every night moisturize and massage my scalp and I rebun the next morning I repeat this everyday:)

Me too, although over the past few weeks I added the massaging.

guesswho said:
I do the same thing. Even if I don't moisturize I still take my bun down at night. I don't like the tension created in a bun so at night when I come home I take my bun down and place my hair in a lose messy bun with a scrunchy, use a jaw clip, or just leave it loose.

KiniKakes said:

When folks refer to manipulation, I think they are usually referring to the unnecessary stress and/or breakage resulting from combing or otherwise rough handling of the hair. Simply taking the bobbi pins out of my bun, gently sectioning my hair with my fingers, moisturizing my scalp/ends, and rebunning is not what I would consider manipulation. I dont use a comb or brush, and once Im finished moisturizing i re-bun and smooth my hair gently with my fingers.

The whole procedure is simple and involves minimal manipulation and, subsequently, little to no hair loss. :)

ETA: I feel compelled to add that there have been occasions when Ive bunned a full week without taking it down to moisturize. However, this was done more so out of laziness, or my schedule was simply too busy and i was unable to do so..... but not because i was concerned about minimizing manipulation.

Yes, I agree it would be low manipulation if you don't comb or brush. Sometimes I am compelled to use my boar bristle brush though.:(

My wash day is Sunday so I normally leave my hair bunned until Wednesday, take it down, spray it with Dove Moisture Mist, grease with Lenzi's Request, massage my scalp, then put it back up until it's time to wash again on Sunday. Very, very little manipulation.

amwcah said:
Yes, I agree it would be low manipulation if you don't comb or brush. Sometimes I am compelled to use my boar bristle brush though.:(

Yeppers, thats the key right thurr. :)

I agree wholeheartedly! :up:

KiniKakes said:

I have bunned for a full week before. I did it for about 2 months, and my hair loved it at the time.

I don't do it any more though. I'll usually moisturize and rebun daily or every other day. Also, with the weather warming up, I've been wearing my hair out more so bunning all week doesn't appeal to me as much anymore.

good question. I had always wondered if people were keeping the same bun for days at a time. I rebun every morning. I wear my hair loose at night wrapped in my scarf.

i re-bun approximately every 2 days
I take it down, moisturize the ends, massage my scalp
re-do it and leave it alone for a couple more days.

Thank you ladies for responding!

Divine Inspiration~What type of bun did you wear for a week? Did you apply moisture to the daily to the surface of your hair?

nelli711~Do you sleep with the bun?

Kween2~I might give this a try! :) I fear overmoisturizing with moisturizing daily.

Sheenaspelman~Thanks! I been wondering this for awhile myself.;)

SweetCaramel1~I'm loving your hair!:p

PatTodd said:
I wear a braided bun. Every morning, I remove the elastic from my braid, add moisturizer and oil to to the top of my head, rake/smooth/brush the top of my hair back into place, then replace the elastic. I then undo my braid, moisturize and oil my hair, and then rebraid. I guess this qualifies as re-bunning, although I only comb my hair through on wash days.

This is what I do too.

I wear the same bun throughout the week but I untwist the excess hair from my ponytail to moisturize then twist hair back up and add scrunchie..

Back