BSL+ ladies: Who Does Hair Themself & Who Goes to Salon?

Do you wash/rollerset at home or go to a salon?

• I do it myself! No one else is gonna be as gentle with my hair as I am!

Votes: 302 79.1%
  • I go to a salon. I generally trust the stylists to be careful with my hair!

Votes: 30 7.9%
  • Other (please state)

Votes: 50 13.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I do my hair myself. I didn't go to a hairstylist until I was 18 & then it was for a cut at Supercuts in the mall. Ironically, it was one of the best cuts that I ever had & only cost me $20 for wash cut blowdry & syle!! But she wanted to relax my hair & kept going on about it, so I never went back to her. The stylist that I go to now I haven't gone to in over a year. She does great highlights & knows the difference between a trim & a cut. She can blow dry my hair straight on a med-low temp...something I have not gotten the hang of:ohwell:. If I had the confidence to do the highlights myself, no salon would ever see me except to purchase products!

I do my hair myself and I am very tired of doing it. I would love to cut it, if I knew I would maintain the cut but I know me. I know that I would not go to the salon on a regular basis and the cut will be short lived. I am at a crossroads. I love my length but I hate the hassle. I cut some bangs last night and I am pleased with the slight change. I am thinking of getting the layers cut again but who can I trust to do it right and keep the length!? *sigh* I am going to get it together eventually!

Wow! This is really a great thread. I'm actually dumbfounded to see that so many ladies are experiencing the same concerns all over the U.S. For the reasons listed, I too have stopped the frequency of visits to the salon. I find that they are very heavy handed, use harsh products, (by the way, everything isn't for everybody...) and don't take the time to GENTLY comb through my hair like I would. I went to the salon on Saturday and when I was ready to go under the dryer, I looked at the stylist's comb and saw all of that hair and I asked, "did all of that come from my head?" DANG!!!!

I'm relaxed at mid back length and I get constant comments about my length and the sighs of frustration when I get in the chair. I've had one stylist charge me extra for a deep conditioner and I brought my own product! WHAT?!!! *****!

I've created a little binder with tips from the board that I can immediately refer to that assists me in caring for my hair. Like the roller setting guide... Woo hoo, extremely helpful. It does take me longer, makes my arm hurt because of my length but I take self pride in knowing that I've treated my hair the way it should be treated.

Going to the salon has left me with disappointment after disappointment so with that being said, I'd say kini, do it yourself! You don't have to eat the whole cow to know it's beef...

HTH
Tonicag

I voted "I go to the salon" b/c I pretty much trust my Dom stylist...
Most Dom salons that I have been too have not been scissor happy at all. There are times when I do my hair myself, but nowadays, I prefer to have it washed and set.

However, if I lived out of NYC, there is a 99% chance that I would be doing my hair myself since I wouldn't be able to get a wash, set and deep condition for $20. Also, I would be very leery of just stepping into a random salon :nono:. Like others have mentioned, the main thing I like about doing my hair myself is that I can take the time to wash it and condition it to how I please. I make sure every single strand of hair is slathered and the conditioner combed through my hair. It's the rollersetting that get's me :ohwell:. I go to the salon for convenience, I sit back, let them wash and set and roller wrap and I'm out within 2 hours top. At home, I have to wash out the conditioner in the shower, make an attempt to rollerset... it's frustrating sometimes.

Up until last week salon 24/7, now I mix it up.

I have been lucky in that I don't waste my time at salons that don't treat my hair properly and if I have certain preferences than I speak up. If I want to use a particular setting lotion then that's what I bring and ask that they use. It's simple. I don't spend time sharing my routines nor do I care what a stylist thinks of them. I'm willing to search and search until I find the stylist that I like.

The only issue I've had is with Dominican salons that are incredibly rough with the hair. However I've since found another Dominican salon where they'll actually detangle the hair plus I now bring a detangling shampoo.

Reasons:

- Pampering -My old salon was a high end black salon and I loved my stylist and listening to the stories about the latest celeb or how the secretary (cousin to the owner) locked the doors on a Victoria Secret model until she agreed to pay her bill. Hell, I even saw Naomi Campbell last time I was there.

Ease - My hair is long in the back and it kills my arms to roll the hair. I enjoy just sitting back and having someone else do it.

Precision - I never do my relaxers or cuts at home. I go to my stylist who only applies to new growth and for cuts I go to a white salon or HE black salon because they often perform intricate cuts on a regular basis.

Lately I've been doing my hair at home 2x a month and the salon 2x a month. I like doing my hair and spending extra time conditioning and caring for my hair. I also like to fondle my hair :grin:
Also if my hair is in bad shape I know I can be extra tender with it whereas most stylist won't.

I myself am afraid to go back to my dominican stylist. I have not been there since April of this year. Just the thought of them combing my two textured hair scares the hell out of me:eek: because I know they are so rough! They want to hurry up and go to the next client. I am learnng the best way I can to do my own hair.

Oh, I plan on having RebiaElaine do my first touchup/textlax and trim since joining LHCF in two weeks then after that i am on my own!

Last edited:
I do my own hair. I've only been to the salon a handful of time since I was 12. The reason: My mom took me to get my hair trimmed and pressed out while she got her hair done and the stylist ended up cutting off 7 inches! When my mom got back she cussed the woman out and walked out without paying. Needless to say I've been a bit gun-shy since then and the last time I went to the salon (almost 2 years) the stylist was so rough and charged me so much that I have no desire to ever go back.

I can do my own hair thank you very much. I rarely have the patience to rollerset though.

The ladies that do your own hair, can you get the same bounce and softness like the salon? Thats my main reason for going.. any tips?

I do mine myself for 2 main reasons. 1. I don't have to listen to them complain and try to upsale me on services and products. AND #2. Convinence. I do my hair when it's convient for me, and most salons are not open durin those hours! 4:30am, 9:pm etc

I've always done my own roller sets. I only set foot in a salon for relaxers (which I don't get anymore) and cuts, so I go like once every 18 months. It saves me a lot of time and money and my hair has never been longer or healthier.

I selected other. Girl I love my stylist. Why? She allows me to wash and blow dry my own hair, then I go to her to flat iron and trim it. I don't trust her assistance or anyone to detangle my precious fine hair.

As far as roller sets. I been thinking about trying them out, if I do I will be doing them myself. KiniKakes I know once you start rollersetting your hair it will become a breeze in time.

Goodluck!

KiniKakes said:
ETA: Please ignore the the title of this thread......... i am opening this up to ANYONE who has dealt with rough stylists and, thus, considered doing their hair at home.

Ladies, I want to know how many of you do your own hair at home...... and how many of you still go to a salon for your roller sets?

Im wondering because, the longer my hair gets, the more i dread going in for a wash/set. It seems that VERY few stylists have the patience and know-how to detangle and rollerset long hair (esp. hair that is fine/thin like mine!) I just cringe sometimes at how rough the stylists are...... and how much hair comes out in the process. Of course, there's going to be natural shedding...... but i know that if they were just a bit more gentle/patient, i wouldnt lose all the hair that i do.

For a long time, ive been resisting doing my own rollersets at home. 1) Because im so lazy, and rollersetting my own hair tires me out and 2) Its sooo cheap to just zip down the street to the Dominicans ($15)

But as I hit MBL and approach WL, I am wondering if i should just stop being lazy and wash/rollerset on my own. (I do have a free-standing dryer at home). I just dont want to keep losing so much hair at the hands of others, when i really am capable of doing my own wash/rollersets. I hate the idea of giving up my weekly salon visits............ but if it means losing less hair, and eventually gaining thicker hair in the long run, than i gotta do what i gotta do!

So I was just wondering........ what do other long-haired ladies do?

For the past year or so, I would do my hair myself for the first two months, then around the third month in my stretch, I would alternate between doing my hair one week and going to the salon the next. I retained a lot of length that way and made it to APL thanks to my stylist. She was very gentle, patient, and never made me feel guilty about stretching so long. I ended up moving back home in December and started doing things myself, except on certain occasions.

My last salon visit was the reminder I needed to get back to doing things myself. My gosh! I don't know what I was thinking. I am 4 months post and I went to get my hair done by this dominican stylist b/c I was tired of looking like a hot mess:look:. Got lots of compliments the next day at work, but I'm not sure it was worth it... Her daughter scratched the living daylights out of my scalp while washing my hair, then she detangled with a small-tooth comb, blowdried, then gave me a trim (which ended up being a cut of 1.5-2 inches, basically my whole progress). I lost a tremendous amount of hair:eek:and broke some in the process of blowdrying. She looked at me in contempt when she asked me if I was going natural and kept snickering the whole time she was doing my hair. Of course, she tried to bully me into get a relaxer... After being on this board and reading the horror stories, you think I would know better...

Truth is vanity kept me in that seat:ohwell: I wanted to look nice for a change...I was getting tired of wearing a bun. For a minute, she actually made me rethink my decision to transition...What bothered me also was the realization that some of these dominican stylists don't actually use dominican products. She was using Redken and Biolage, JCrew (for men!:mad:) on another customer. Once her assistant gave me a touchup with a TCB relaxer and burned my scalp so bad, I had to wash my hair when I got home coz I couldn't undo the wrap coz my hair was sticking together...It's just sad.

Fortunately, I was referred to a wonderful stylist who actually cares about the health of the hair. She's a bit pricey in comparison to the DS, but at least, she knows what she's doing. No more of that abuse! This was the last straw :mad:. I'm learning how to do a flexirod set and will try to perfect my rollerset.

*sigh* I need to vent.

Nuelle said:
For the past year or so, I would do my hair myself for the first two months, then around the third month in my stretch, I would alternate between doing my hair one week and going to the salon the next. I retained a lot of length that way and made it to APL thanks to my stylist. She was very gentle, patient, and never made me feel guilty about stretching so long. I ended up moving back home in December and started doing things myself, except on certain occasions.

My last salon visit was the reminder I needed to get back to doing things myself. My gosh! I don't know what I was thinking. I am 4 months post and I went to get my hair done by this dominican stylist b/c I was tired of looking like a hot mess:look:. Got lots of compliments the next day at work, but I'm not sure it was worth it... Her daughter scratched the living daylights out of my scalp while washing my hair, then she detangled with a small-tooth comb, blowdried, then gave me a trim (which ended up being a cut of 1.5-2 inches, basically my whole progress). I lost a tremendous amount of hair:eek:and broke some in the process of blowdrying. She looked at me in contempt when she asked me if I was going natural and kept snickering the whole time she was doing my hair. Of course, she tried to bully me into get a relaxer... After being on this board and reading the horror stories, you think I would know better...

Truth is vanity kept me in that seat:ohwell: I wanted to look nice for a change...I was getting tired of wearing a bun. For a minute, she actually made me rethink my decision to transition...What bothered me also was the realization that some of these dominican stylists don't actually use dominican products. She was using Redken and Biolage, JCrew (for men!:mad:) on another customer. Once her assistant gave me a touchup with a TCB relaxer and burned my scalp so bad, I had to wash my hair when I got home coz I couldn't undo the wrap coz my hair was sticking together...It's just sad.

Fortunately, I was referred to a wonderful stylist who actually cares about the health of the hair. She's a bit pricey in comparison to the DS, but at least, she knows what she's doing. No more of that abuse! This was the last straw :mad:. I'm learning how to do a flexirod set and will try to perfect my rollerset.

*sigh* I need to vent.

:eek: :eek: Oh my gosh!! That had to be horrible.

The only reason I go to a salon is to get a touch up because I can't self relax. I do my rollersets myself.

When I learn to self relax, a salon will never see me again. :lol:

I have a great stylist now, but I only go to her for touch-up, color or a hard to do updo or style. Now that I have a corrective, I can do my roller wraps with ease. But my styist loves to retain health of hair and loves to assist in the growth and health of your hair, being that you are natural or relax.;)

Well, I'm only one inch from BSL, and I do everything myself, including relaxers, color, and rollersets. For trims, I ask a trusted family member to do it, as needed. I haven't been to a salon in over 20 years, and I still don't miss it. I actually enjoy doing my own hair, and I really don't ever plan on going to a salon again.

I'm majority do it myself. I'm a self-relaxer when I decide to relax, and I usually do my own rollersets and I even self-trim. I do break down and go to a salon once or twice a year. Usually around my birthday, but they always trim my hair and I get pissed and remember when I avoid them. I hate the "I want to even out your hair a bit".

It's funny I was always to cheap to go to as salon, i'd go like once a year but somehow in the past 2 months since joining this forum I have spent $400+ dollars in misc hair stuff dang I could have bought a Pibbs with that:perplexed

Sorry Ladies I haven't read the entire thread, but in answer to the poll, I prefer to go to the salon. I never, ever, ever wash my own hair. I've done it twice since I joined this forum in July and now I remember why I don't do it. I takes foreeever! and because of my Carpel Tunel (sp) I can't do my own wet set.

I have APL (front) BSL (back) relaxed 4a/4b hair.

For the last 10 years I have been going to the Dominican Salon to get a wash and set. Initially, I went weekly, now it's bi-weekly, sometimes only once a month :sad: depending on my schedule. I tried blowouts when wraps became the style but it didn't work for me. If I'm going to sit under a hot drier for 50-60 minutes (red/purple rollers - I like my curls tight) I'm darn sure going to have some curls to show for it!:yep: I always take my own products, but my hair loves their rinses. Two or three times a year I go to my "stylist" for a touch up and a trim or hair cut (depending on my mood). She has been doing my hair for about 17 yrs and she knows the difference between a trim and a cut. She's a great stylist and I always leave her chair with a HOT:gorgeous: hairdo.

My hair is suprisingly healthy, considering the fact that I rarely touch it. After I take my rollers out I finger comb it and let the curls fall naturally. I sleep with a satin bonnet. In the mornings, I shake and go. Once the curls go I either get it redone or I put on one of my phony ponies. I rarely, if ever, use a curling iron or comb. I think my lack of heat styling, low manipulation and use of good products keep my ends in good shape and allow my hair to grow to its full potential.

So far, it works for me. But every time I come here I learn something new. I can't wait to try it all!!!:grin: I'm turning into a PJ.:ohwell:

I havent read all of the responses but I do my own washes and let someone else perm it.

Everytime i find someone who does a good job at perming, they relocate.

The only reason, or reasons I would not let someone perm my hair is...

- hard water here i'd like to rinse under water from a water softener
- cost, ppl wanna charge me 40.00 to perm only (i condition and style at home). If my cousins knew how to perm, i could get them to do it for free and buy my own perm, talk about $$$ in my pockets!

I only go to the salon for my relaxers which is every 12-14 wks. I can't believe I've only been to the salon twice this year. My goal was 4 times a yr and I'm dead on it. My next appt is Aug 30th!

bumppp
im considering doing my touchups myself as my hair gets longer .. who knows .. i may get lazy ..but i like the anticipation of going to the salon and the only reason i do is for a touchup.. i could as well stick it out until she does something that pisses me off

ETA: Please ignore the the title of this thread......... i am opening this up to ANYONE who has dealt with rough stylists and, thus, considered doing their hair at home.

Ladies, I want to know how many of you do your own hair at home...... and how many of you still go to a salon for your roller sets?

Im wondering because, the longer my hair gets, the more i dread going in for a wash/set. It seems that VERY few stylists have the patience and know-how to detangle and rollerset long hair (esp. hair that is fine/thin like mine!) I just cringe sometimes at how rough the stylists are...... and how much hair comes out in the process. Of course, there's going to be natural shedding...... but i know that if they were just a bit more gentle/patient, i wouldnt lose all the hair that i do.

For a long time, ive been resisting doing my own rollersets at home. 1) Because im so lazy, and rollersetting my own hair tires me out and 2) Its sooo cheap to just zip down the street to the Dominicans ($15)

But as I hit MBL and approach WL, I am wondering if i should just stop being lazy and wash/rollerset on my own. (I do have a free-standing dryer at home). I just dont want to keep losing so much hair at the hands of others, when i really am capable of doing my own wash/rollersets. I hate the idea of giving up my weekly salon visits............ but if it means losing less hair, and eventually gaining thicker hair in the long run, than i gotta do what i gotta do!

So I was just wondering........ what do other long-haired ladies do?

OT: AHHHH you're gonna update us July 5, 2008 ::does happy dance:::grin:

Now lol. I actually HATE to step foot into the salon. They all want to "cure me" and make me have "long pretty hair". The first thing they want to do is to cut it :wallbash::wallbash: put it in layers and use little bitty combs and no heat protectant to "tame" my "wild" and thin hair. It is awful so I rather do my own, and I'm just shoulder length.

I do my weekly wash and sets at home and I only go to she salon for my touch ups and special occasions. The stylist I have been going to has been doing my hair since I was 5, so I trust her with my precious locks. lol

I go to the salon just about every week. My hair is still unhealthy at this point and I dont want to mess up my hair trying to experiment, do treatments and suffer more breakage than I have too. Once I get my breakage issues under control, I will start doing my own hair again.

I do my own hair, but while I am in NY I got to the salon. I now look at salons as pamper treatment, because I can do everything that they do right at home myself.

I voted :Other because while I have been lucky to have had stylists over the past 20 yrs who knew what they were doing and did it well I only got them to relax and trim only( I am too scared of chemicals and scissors:grin:)The rest of the weeks b/w touchups I am the maintenance girl. I wash, conditioned, wrapped, or roller set my hair for years. I mainly watched what the stylist did and used and emulated it at home with salon quality results most of the time. I have fine hair so I stayed away from flat irons and blow dryers except when going to the salon for that touch up visit. I think this is what has kept my hair healthy.

What a timely thread! As my hair get longer I WANT to do my own hair, but I don't know if it's my water or what, but I lose MORE hair when I attempt to do it myself, and it is so hard and frizzy.

I love the results and I love my stylist, but I don't love her small toothed comb. The shampoo lady is so sweet, but she combs through the shampoos and combs through the conditioner and granted my hair is beautiful, the sound of hair crunching makes me cringe. It doesn't always mean lost hair I guess, but once I saw the hair in the little comb. Granted again, it could be long strands woven up, but, uh, ew!

My hair has been growing in her care, even my edges, which even when natural, didn't flourish. I really wonder about when I achieve armpit length and beyond and that shampoo bowl, but what choice do I have.

And I did get L'anza's sun and swim shampoo based on a tip here and my hair flourished combability/conditioning-wise with it, L'anza hair repair and kenra mc, but I can't do a roller set to save my life.

:(

I have brastrap length hair, and aside from the stylist ( boston- clarissa at liz's hair care is perfect!) i frequent back home, no one has cared for my thick hair properly. I love my stylist now, but I am thinking about relaxing at home (i only go to the salon for touch ups). from a financial point, i need to save all that i can, especially now that gas is at 4/gallon.
one lady told me she was gonna start riding her bike to the salon! idk, but for me, i'd sweat out my style in about 10 minutes on a bike :grin:

anyways, ill be lurking on that self relaxing how to thread!

Back