BSL+ ladies: Who Does Hair Themself & Who Goes to Salon?

Do you wash/rollerset at home or go to a salon?

• I do it myself! No one else is gonna be as gentle with my hair as I am!

Votes: 302 79.1%
  • I go to a salon. I generally trust the stylists to be careful with my hair!

Votes: 30 7.9%
  • Other (please state)

Votes: 50 13.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

KiniKakes

ETA: Please ignore the the title of this thread......... i am opening this up to ANYONE who has dealt with rough stylists and, thus, considered doing their hair at home.

Ladies, I want to know how many of you do your own hair at home...... and how many of you still go to a salon for your roller sets?

Im wondering because, the longer my hair gets, the more i dread going in for a wash/set. It seems that VERY few stylists have the patience and know-how to detangle and rollerset long hair (esp. hair that is fine/thin like mine!) I just cringe sometimes at how rough the stylists are...... and how much hair comes out in the process. Of course, there's going to be natural shedding...... but i know that if they were just a bit more gentle/patient, i wouldnt lose all the hair that i do.

For a long time, ive been resisting doing my own rollersets at home. 1) Because im so lazy, and rollersetting my own hair tires me out and 2) Its sooo cheap to just zip down the street to the Dominicans ($15)

But as I hit MBL and approach WL, I am wondering if i should just stop being lazy and wash/rollerset on my own. (I do have a free-standing dryer at home). I just dont want to keep losing so much hair at the hands of others, when i really am capable of doing my own wash/rollersets. I hate the idea of giving up my weekly salon visits............ but if it means losing less hair, and eventually gaining thicker hair in the long run, than i gotta do what i gotta do!

So I was just wondering........ what do other long-haired ladies do?

Last edited:
KiniKakes said:
Ladies who are BSL/MBL/WL and beyond:

How many of you do your own hair at home...... and how many of you still go to a salon for your roller sets?

Im wondering because, the longer my hair gets, the more i dread going in for a wash/set. It seems that VERY few stylists have the patience and know-how to detangle and rollerset long hair (esp. hair that is fine/thin like mine!) I just cringe sometimes at how rough the stylists are...... and how much hair comes out in the process. Of course, there's going to be natural shedding...... but i know that if they were just a bit more gentle/patient, i wouldnt lose all the hair that i do.

For a long time, ive been resisting doing my own rollersets at home. 1) Because im so lazy, and rollersetting my own hair tires me out and 2) Its sooo cheap to just zip down the street to the Dominicans ($15)

But as my hair reaches MBL and approaches WL, I am wondering if i should just stop being lazy and wash/rollerset on my own. (I do have a free-standing dryer at home). I just dont want to keep losing so much hair at the hands of others, when i really am capable of doing my own wash/rollersets. I hate the idea of giving up my weekly salon visits............ but if it means losing less hair, and eventually gaining thicker hair in the long run, than i gotta do what i gotta do!

So I was just wondering........ what do other long-haired ladies do?

I wish I could be in this convo:( maybe next year

guesswho said:
I wish I could be in this convo:( maybe next year

Awww, Guesswho, I didnt mean to make anyone feel excluded! :( Im sorry!

In retrospect, i should have just asked EVERYONE, not just BSL and longer. Im sure this is an issue that we ALL deal with, and i really do welcome all opinions.

Im gonna go add an edit to my original post.

Last edited:
im no where near BSL but I just thinking this to myself the other day. I've been washing my hair myself but last weekend I decided to go to the dominicans for a wash and set. It came out great but I noticed that more hair came out versus when I do my hair myself. Now it wasnt a lot of hair but it was more than I'm used to and at this stage I need to keep as much hair as possible. so I decided it's not worth it to me.

I'm not BSL yet, but I have been wondering about this for sooo long. The last time I went to a Dominican salon was in Dec. and I vowed NEVER to step foot in there again. But now that I have a special event coming up and I want to wear my hair out, I was actually considering going thru all that roughness again.

But the more I thought about it, the more I said no. :nono: So I decided to do my own rollerset. Thing is, I have no idea how to rollerset. :look: I've tried and failed miserably. But I WILL learn! I already know the rollers and dryer I want to get. So I'm almost ready to go.

KiniKakes said:
Awww, Guesswho, I didnt mean to make anyone feel excluded! :( Im sorry!

In retrospect, i should have just asked EVERYONE, not just BSL and longer. Im sure this is an issue that we ALL deal with, and i really do welcome all opinions.

Gosh, im really wishing i'd rephrased the title of this thread. *smh* :ohwell: Ehh well, im gonna go add an edit to my original post.

No don't edit it, its very inspiring it gives me hope its ok you are too sweet:)

I have started doing my own hair, because as you stated NO one is going to be as gentle on my own hair than me. I have also noticed how much my hair has grown to health and thickness due to me doing my own hair. Not to mention when you go they just beat you up and say your hair is not healthy for stretching or for not trimming, and I believe the salon is a place of solace. So, I have grown my hair from ear/neck length to shoulder length all by myself and I had been going to salons for years and never achieved that. SO my progress speaks for itself. I'mma do my own hair..and I suggest you break out that dryer KINI:lol:...cuz as it gets longer it will get harder.

"I do it myself! No one else is gonna be as gentle with my hair as I am!"

This is me all day.

I am thinking about going to a salon in the near future tho. But I won't make it a routine thing.

I love being independent with my haircare. Dcing in my panties:lol: , taking my time, using my own products, and lots more advantages that I won't give up.

My vote was for "I do it myself! No one else is gonna be as gentle with my hair as I am!"

The above statement couldn't be more accurate. I avoid salons like the plague. There is no way that I'm going to pay someone to complain and gripe about how much hair I have, want to cut it and not be gentle like myself. My hair looks better when I do it myself, anyway. In the past, I have come across a couple of excellent hairstylists, but they left town. :(

Last edited:
LocksOfLuV said:
I love being independent with my haircare. Dcing in my panties:lol: , taking my time, using my own products, and lots more advantages that I won't give up.

I hear ya girl!!!!!! :lol:

freshlikemoi said:
SO my progress speaks for itself. I'mma do my own hair..and I suggest you break out that dryer KINI:lol:...cuz as it gets longer it will get harder.

Yes MA'AM!!!!!! :lol:

You are right, man! I just gotta stop being lazy......... and start doing it myself, cuz the reality is that no one cares as much as me about preserving my progress....

KiniKakes said:
I hear ya girl!!!!!! :lol:

I never really had a bad stylist, I only had 3 whom which all were good.

I can tell you honestly, I miss the pampering. I miss the interaction and having someone to talk to about *me* and *my hair*.

I really do. I think that is one of the reason why I will be revisting soon. Plus I want to see how they are doing.

Anyways Kini, do you even know HOW to rollerset and stuff?:lol:

I've been DIY since I came to this board. There's no way a stylist could be as patient and gentle with my hair as I can. I learned how to rollerset, and I doubt I'll ever need to go back to the salon for anything!

LocksOfLuV said:

This is me all day.

I am thinking about going to a salon in the near future tho. But I won't make it a routine thing.

this is me too. i like to stay under the dryer as much as I like. plus when I go to the salon they are so quick to tell me I need a perm, even if I have a 1/4 of an inch of ng.

but I will say my hair never comes out as well as it does when I go to the salon. it doesnt come out as straight and as shiny.

LocksOfLuV said:

This is me all day.

Hell, I DC with just a towel on! LOL.

But for me, even if I learn to rollerset, I STILL can't apply my own relaxer. A shame!

ETA: I WISH I could rollerset like Lauren450! When I try to rollerset, I always envision it coming out like yours, but when the rollers come out, it's a poofy mess!

I do my own. There are WAY too many advantages to me doing and WAY too many disadvantages to going to a salon. I just can't be bothered.

I can count on one hand the number of times I've stepped foot in a salon in the past 2 years. I like to get a super straight flat iron done once or twice a year, and if I know of a halfway decent stylist, I'll go but if not, it's all me...hence me not having any length checks since October. :lol: I don't let just anybody play in it. :naughty:

I say do it yourself. Seriously. They are going to continue to manhandle your hair, and your hair is going to get longer. Then you're going to have to deal with people jacking prices up on you just because you have "all that hair" After the first time I got charged $80 for a service that she charged everyone else $65 for, I knew I was going to have to do something different because I had no plans of cutting my hair and it was getting thicker by the day.

Do it, Kini! :clap:

locabouthair said:
Now it wasnt a lot of hair but it was more than I'm used to and at this stage I need to keep as much hair as possible. so I decided it's not worth it to me.

Good points, and i concur!

Yet another great topic. I have pondered the same thing. Once I grew out my relaxer I stopped going to the salon and I haven't been in at least 3 years. My hair is pretty thick and I didn't want anyone impatiently man handling my hair. Now that I am thinking about relaxing and getting a decent hair cut I will have to go to the salon. I could probably do my virgin relaxer but I know I would be too freaked out to do my own touch ups. All in all I think the salon will be seeing me for chemical services and perhaps special occasions.

Divine Inspiration said:
I do my own. There are WAY too many advantages to me doing and WAY too many disadvantages to going to a salon. I just can't be bothered.

I can count on one hand the number of times I've stepped foot in a salon in the past 2 years. I like to get a super straight flat iron done once or twice a year, and if I know of a halfway decent stylist, I'll go but if not, it's all me...hence me not having any length checks since October. :lol: I don't let just anybody play in it. :naughty:

I say do it yourself. Seriously. They are going to continue to manhandle your hair, and your hair is going to get longer. Then you're going to have to deal with people jacking prices up on you just because you have "all that hair" After the first time I got charged $80 for a service that she charged everyone else $65 for, I knew I was going to have to do something different because I had no plans of cutting my hair and it was getting thicker by the day.

Do it, Kini! :clap:

You make such compelling arguments, DI!!!! I was nodding all hard as i read thru this post. :lol: You are right tho......... i think im gonna have to just start pumping iron and get my arms ready to do my rollersets on the regular. Because as u said, my hair is just going to get longer, and im only going to feel more and more frustrated as time goes on.:look:

lauren450 said:
I've been DIY since I came to this board. There's no way a stylist could be as patient and gentle with my hair as I can. I learned how to rollerset, and I doubt I'll ever need to go back to the salon for anything!

Good point. The times that I have gone to a stylist, I cringed several times as the things they did and said. I give up on going anymore. Plus, when it comes to relaxing, I am afraid that they will relax my hair too straight.

LocksOfLuV said:
Anyways Kini, do you even know HOW to rollerset and stuff?:lol:

Err, uhhh, ummm..... weeeelllll...... :sekret:

Once upon a time, in college (when my hair was about shoulder length), i did manage to do a few shoddy rollersets, because i couldnt afford to go to the salon. :lol: But we're talking about 10 years ago now. *sigh* So...... lets just say its been a while!!!! Im gonna straight be stalking Macherieamour, and other's, Foktis to get myself ready for this. *smh*

So who has good roller setting tutorials in their Fokti? Could ya'all throw out some names for a sista?!! :grin:

My hair is very thick and I am "approaching" BSL, but now I do my hair myself. The last time I went to the Domnican Salon she was just tooooo rough during the detangling process and she kept rubbing the towel through my hair numerous times after she rinsed out the conditioner. My best friend said to me "Just do your own hair from now on because at this point no one is going to handle it like you would." I had told her how I just couldn't stand the detangling process. If I can find someone that specializes in long hair maybe I will try them but until then--- I am on my own with the help of my Mom whenever she comes to visit me.

I am tooooooo through with salons. I'm way better at doing hair than some of the professionals. And they just seem like they are going through the motions.

My last salon visit was in early April, it was a Re-do of a touchup they jacked up in February. I mean it! that was my LAST & Final salon visit.

I was already down to only going 2 times a year for my touchup and even then, I'd just ask them to blow it dry and I'd go home and style it myself... but this recent faux pas was the last straw.:ohwell:

Oh. PS I'm not BSL yet.

Last edited:
I agree with all the ladies. I defianately prefer doing my own hair, because like it was said before, no one can care for your hair like you do. Altough I know how to do my own hair, I have only been nuturing my own hair like it is suppossed to be in the last 2 years.

I do have to go to get my hair braided by someone else, because I'm short on time. The braids look nice, but I have to listen to them complain about hair thick my hair is. I have to basically tell them how to do my hair, how to comb it. Becauseif not the will just do your hair any kind of way. The braiders I have experienced can care less how the hair is underneath the braid just as long as the braids look nice. That is even if all your own hair falls out in the process. So yes I would have to agree with every one else, I do my own hair !!!! Good post! Whew, THANK GOD for LHCF. :)

I do my own. I no longer trust mean stylist:mad: . They don't like dealing with long natural hair. They are always trying to talk me into getting a relaxer.

Kini babe, u must have had me in mind when u created this thread:lol: ...I have been feeling the same way lately. Im on a hair journey and it feels like every time i visit my Dom. sytlist now,I am ever more aware of how she handles my hair. Even with the rollersets,she places the metal clips too tightly on my roots:eek: ...My hair is baby fine,Im a 3b/c, and almost transparent when wet,so i can not fathom why she continues to tug at it like Im a 5d/e or something...Im always grabbing her hand saying "mami pelo es muy fino,mucho molesta"...trust me i go thru it with my dom. stylist...I know she is tired of my behind,wondering why i keep coming back.:perplexed ...

I was there last saturday for a rinse. She refused to DC me afta' the rinse, saying that my color would not "take"....my hair was soooooo tangled and matted I was about to cry:( ....I just finished my 12wk stretch (thanks to your advice;) ) a week prior to that visit and I was 2inches shy of APL....I lost alot of hair while she was detangling,lucky I had some Alter Ego garlic treatment in my duffle bag (yes i have an arsenal of products that i bring:look: ) to help with the situation...Im so fed up with the reckless hair "handlements",but i digress!:ohwell:

:naughty: While I'm constantly asking others to do my hair for me since I'm so darn lazy, I'm never totally serious. My hair's texture makes it extremely fragile and most people do NOT know how to treat it with care. I've had friends braid my hair for me and I've lost so much because they insist on trying to comb through my hair root to tip with a fine tooth comb :naughty:
Then I've had others who think that because my hair is so tightly coiled that it can withstand rough handling. Last December when I took down my minibraids I hated having people help me because they were so rough in getting through any knots and tangles in my hair. It was so hard to suck it up and let them help but I had to because the job was just too big for me to tackle alone. The last time I left a stylist touch my hair was two weeks ago and I still shudder at the way she ripped a pick through my hair in order to give me a perfectly round fro (I was an extra in a movie set in the 70s and the hair lady wouldn't let me on set with my chunky fro). Basically, except for one or two times everyone I've let touch my hair has manhandled it. And even when you tell people they're being too rough, they always put it back on you like you're being too sensitive and they're not doing any damage when YOU can tell that they are. If you don't like the way the stylists at the salon treat your hair, then do it yourself. I do almost all of my styling myself and while I'm lazy and hate doing it, it does help me sleep better at night knowing that my hair wasn't abused during the creation of whatever style I'm wearing.

I do my own hair now every friday and use the products that i want and do my hair exactly how i want em :yep: ...I do good rollersets ,doobies,silk wrap, and color..Kini i wish i were patient enough to do a tutorial on my fotki but dang thats some work! :lol: ....Im trying to experiment with doing a blow out I got my Denman round brush so one of these days ill try .....I only go to the salon for retouches but I wanna start doing them myself ..ill get up the nerve one day:look: ...I just got tired of paying alot of money for something that i had to touch up when I got home ..or dealing with "tudes" or stylist being scissor happy or products that I didnt care for..
It takes practise but ur hair will thank u for it..You can do it:)

I do my own hair.
I don't like to depend on other people taking care of my hair.
I had one to many stylist's that showed up to late,were overbooked all the time so they had to rush through our appointment and charged waaay to much money just b/c they were the only decent one available in the area.
Plus now I have more money for my other hobby... purses:look: :lol:

KiniKakes said:
Err, uhhh, ummm..... weeeelllll...... :sekret:

Once upon a time, in college (when my hair was about shoulder length), i did manage to do a few shoddy rollersets, because i couldnt afford to go to the salon. :lol: But we're talking about 10 years ago now. *sigh* So...... lets just say its been a while!!!! Im gonna straight be stalking Macherieamour, and other's, Foktis to get myself ready for this. *smh*

So who has good roller setting tutorials in their Fokti? Could ya'all throw out some names for a sista?!! :grin:

Thanks for starting this thread Kini! I don't go to the salon much because of exactly what everyone in this thread has said. I would like to learn how to rollerset too.

Back