BREAKAGE!!! PLZ COME HELP ME>>>

tt8

So I did an aphogee treatment last weekend with good results. I had no problems detangling my natural hair afterwards cause I didnt saturate my hair just enough to do the trick. So why Monday come around and my ends are snapping off:sad:. Im so pissed because I am a member of the stuck at "FREAKIN SL" club you know I need all the help I can get. Plz tell me what I can do to alleviate the problem.
-backstory... I was using a chelating shampoo 1-2x a week for my hard water issue... I use Paul Mitchell Super Charger and or Pantene Relax n Natural Mask to deep dish... My chelating poo is Joico or Aveda... should I mix anything in my DC?? JUST HELP ME STOP THE SNAPPING OF ENDS

Did you use a good moisturizing deep conditioner after the aphogee treatment? I think using a chelating poo that often also isn't necessary...I have hard water also, and only use a chelater twice a month. When I do that, I follow with a moisturizing poo then a good solid DC.

I think you need to up your moisture for a couple weeks to bring it back.

I have heard that Pantene Leaves a film on your hair you might want to try and clarify your hair with some baking soda or ACV..

:bighug: so sorry that this is happening

I agree. I think you are chelating too much! I only chelate once every 6 washes or so now.

So what should I do now about the breakage since we might have the culprit figured out, what's my solution!?!

When I had breakage after a protein treatment, I did a CW the next day with a moisturizing conditioner. It helped to slow down the breakage tremendously. I must warn you that the breakage won't completely stop right away, but it will be better. You will have to keep moisturizing daily. HTH.

Thank you. Do you think the dc's I used are great enough for the moisture or should I add EVOO or coconut oil??
When I had breakage after a protein treatment, I did a CW the next day with a moisturizing conditioner. It helped to slow down the breakage tremendously. I must warn you that the breakage won't completely stop right away, but it will be better. You will have to keep moisturizing daily. HTH.

Do a search on breakage. There will be a lot of support.

I also think babying your hair (i.e. combing, handling it gently) could help prevent breakage!

So what should I do now about the breakage since we might have the culprit figured out, what's my solution!?!
I think since we might know what the culprit is, is to stop using it and use a moisturizing poo followed by your DC for a couple weeks. You can add EVOO or coconut oil if you want...it won't hurt a thing, just make your hair softer and moister which is what you really need right now. Test that for a while to see what happens, if you throw too many things into the mix you won't know what's working/not working.

So sorry this is happening to you. I agree - I think a good moisturizing conditioner will definitely help. Just be careful because some conditioners that say moisturizing still have protein it and at this point, I don't think you need any more protein:nono:. Regarding oils - does your hair usually respond well to oils? I ask because, my hair actually starts to respond negatively to heavier oils - it's as if the moisture is actually being blocked out of my hair, and the short hairs start to follow pretty quickly. I find if I do use an oil it has to be something lite such as jojoba or sweet almond - anything too heavy and forget (but this is just my experience). If your hair normally works well with oils then by all means.

Thank you. Do you think the dc's I used are great enough for the moisture or should I add EVOO or coconut oil??

EVOO is pretty good to add for moisture. Just make sure your conditioner doesn't contain any protein ingredients. U need to stay far from that for now! :killlurk:

I did this to my hair last month. I thought since I have hard water that I HAD to chelate with every wash, then I would use protein conditioners and moisturizers then I did an aphogee before and after a relaxer and guess what? My hair broke like crazy!! I now have lost four inches of hair from a middle part all the way down the center of my hair! I stopped chelating. I knew that too often was too much and I had protein overload. Listen to your hair!!! Its difficult bcuz you want to grow it but feel if you do nothing or its not enuff. Moisturize! Make sure whatever you use is protein-free! Your hair should be normal within a month. . .or Two.

Times like these I wish I had a fotki!:nono:

Back