BLUE COLLAR MAN/COLLEGE EDUCATED WOMAN

BrooklynSouth

Sure, I know there are posts but do you know of any which work well?
I met a really nice man who is blue collar, divorced with an adult son...so real, so open and likes to do the things I like to do. He understands I want a friendship with possibly more at my speed. He owns his business, high school graduate, intelligent, funny, loves to travel, go out, such a kind person. He is not intimidated by my degrees at all. He has thus far agreed to explore things I enjoy which he has not explored before. I feel like an elitist thinking that only a similar educated man would be the right man...so far those men have been such a disappointment..please tell me you have or know of a successful partnership like this. I need some encouragement here.

Well I can't necessarily answer your question, but what are you worried about? You found a GOOD man.:ohwell:

If you are not bothered by him being blue-collared then go for it!

I know a insanely happy couple like this. When one of my friends started dating her husband folks asked her what she was doing with someone like 'him'. (She's a braniac with 2 master's degrees) Now all those women who made snide comments WISH they had a husband like hers. They have similar interests, he's very smart, is his own boss, is hard working and he's a secure and happy man. (sounds like your man!) He loves the ground she walks on. He wasn't as well traveled as she was because he hadn't been exposed and didn't know how. She showed him the ropes and now he plans all their trips. She jokes and says she created a monster. She is in awe of who he is as a man and still head over heels in love after 7 years of marriage.

Your post made me smile. If I were you? I'd jump off that cliff of love and never look back.....degree or not! Congrats!

You just described a boat load of Black men in NY.... (is he Black :look:). Most
are open to dating women who are educated simply because they have done so in the past and found it beneficial.

One guy in particular sounds like your gentleman below. He is/was with a woman who had 2 Masters and she worked at a hospital in NY. He put her through hell....she lost a baby, stress, etc. I do not know if they are still together.

Another couple I know....great marriage. He stood by his wife when she took ill and no one could say a word. Treated her great.

Sure, I know there are posts but do you know of any which work well?
I met a really nice man who is blue collar, divorced with an adult son...so real, so open and likes to do the things I like to do. He understands I want a friendship with possibly more at my speed. He owns his business, high school graduate, intelligent, funny, loves to travel, go out, such a kind person. He is not intimidated by my degrees at all. He has thus far agreed to explore things I enjoy which he has not explored before. I feel like an elitist thinking that only a similar educated man would be the right man...so far those men have been such a disappointment..please tell me you have or know of a successful partnership like this. I need some encouragement here.

Your guy seems to be a good guy from your posts. In my experience, blue collar/professional woman relationships don't work. The men I have dated in the past say the college education does not bother them, but it comes out later that it does. It really just depends on the man. I have a family member in this situation who is married, breadwinner and has more education, she is not happy:nono: and the husband is resentful at times.

I know a insanely happy couple like this. When one of my friends started dating her husband folks asked her what she was doing with someone like 'him'. (She's a braniac with 2 master's degrees) Now all those women who made snide comments WISH they had a husband like hers. They have similar interests, he's very smart, is his own boss, is hard working and he's a secure and happy man. (sounds like your man!) He loves the ground she walks on. He wasn't as well traveled as she was because he hadn't been exposed and didn't know how. She showed him the ropes and now he plans all their trips. She jokes and says she created a monster. She is in awe of who he is as a man and still head over heels in love after 7 years of marriage.

Your post made me smile. If I were you? I'd jump off that cliff of love and never look back.....degree or not! Congrats!

This sounds a lot like me and my husband! We are very very happy. I wasn't going to let a good man pass me by that I had so much in common with. We hit is off as soon as we met and took it at my slow speed.

Go for it. The man owns his own business. Any brother who's his own boss rather than working for someone else gets my vote. You pointed out more reasons in your post to give him a chance than not to.

You still remember how to kick a man to the curb if he doesn't act right, don't you? Then do your thing, Sis. Good luck!

that is a BEAUTIFUL story! :yep:

Go for it. The man owns his own business. Any brother who's his own boss rather than working for someone else gets my vote. You pointed out more reasons in your post to give him a chance than not to.

You still remember how to kick a man to the curb if he doesn't act right, don't you? Then do your thing, Sis. Good luck!

Yeah, I agree with the part in bold.

I typically don't date blue-collar men just because of the resentment issues and all of that, but I think a blue-collar man owning his own business is a completely different ballgame. I respect the hell out of a man who takes a "blue collar" skill that he has (building stuff, painting, landscaping, etc.) and creates a business out of it. That takes imagination and ingenuity -- qualities I love in a man!

So go for it and see what happens!

Exactly. I feel as though having a gazillion degrees can't top being your own boss sometimes anyway:ohwell: :lachen::lachen::lachen:
Good luck, and I wish you the best, keep us updates, sweetie. :yep:

I typically don't date blue-collar men just because of the resentment issues and all of that, but I think a blue-collar man owning his own business is a completely different ballgame. I respect the hell out of a man who takes a "blue collar" skill that he has (building stuff, painting, landscaping, etc.) and creates a business out of it. That takes imagination and ingenuity -- qualities I love in a man!

ITA! :yep:

Right "owns" his own business...I say give it a shot.

Now if you said, "trying to start"....hold on a bit.:grin:

I agree. I know a handful of couples with this mix. Sometimes she's the educated one and other times he is.

With my favorite of the group - he is a business owner too (Does anyone else see a running theme here???). I'm bummed because I missed what I heard was a wonderful wedding. But I totally love getting pictures in the email of their new baby!

I agree w/this. Sometimes we just overthink ourselves out of a good relationship. If you've found a good man, who's doing well financial and is not intimidated by you, go for it. Cause I am sure there are some single ladies who would be more than happy to have him.

~Honey

Don't think of him as "blue collar" think of him as a "entreperneur".

Thank you all so much! Well, he's kind of a 'brother'..he is Puerto Rican..new for me. I'll be giving him a chance..so far, so good. I feared what friends, family would say but after all..I just want to be loved for me and so far we are clicking. I met him through Match.com of all things. The spelling and grammar turned me off at first but this guy has a great command of language and the tiny bit of spanish accent is wonderful to hear.
Thanks again.

Thank you all so much! Well, he's kind of a 'brother'..he is Puerto Rican..new for me. I'll be giving him a chance..so far, so good. I feared what friends, family would say but after all..I just want to be loved for me and so far we are clicking. I met him through Match.com of all things. The spelling and grammar turned me off at first but this guy has a great command of language and the tiny bit of spanish accent is wonderful to hear.
Thanks again.

As I said to one of my friends, fear more what your friends and family will say when you are single and childless (if you don't have already) in 20 years more than what they will say when you are married with your husband and kids.

As in...don't let them be a part of your equation NOW. They will deal.

Thanks again.

Aw lawd you done said it now! Puerto Rican? With a little accent? Owns his own business? AND you click?

Back