Black salons closing due to changing trends

I had a wonderful stylist for at least 20 years. She was old school, not so much about style but healthy hair. Since I relocated to Maryland a few years ago, I have had one bad experience after another. My last stylist was ok and great on time management; however, I had to pay $120 for a touch up and rinse. The one before that was priced more reasonably; however, she used very cheap products. The last time I patronized her shop, I had to wait a long time. The stylist had the nerve to even let 2 walk-ins go before me who needed their weaves tightned. She finally washed and set my hair and kept increasing the time on the dryer so that I could be out of her way while she attended to other clients with weaves. When I knew that my hair was fully dry, I cut the timer off myself and took the rollers out. I gave her only a fourth of the price for my hair. When I told her I didn't appreciate her taking others ahead of me, she replied, "Weaves are my money makers!". Needless to say she never saw me again.

I am currently stretching my relaxer and toying with going natural. I don't trust myself to do my own perm and I can't stomach wasting time and too much money at a hair salon. The article really did not touch on key points that will cause Black hair salons to become extinct

Personally I believe clients are just tired of their bs weather it be not knowing how to handle natural hair to cutting instead of trimming. Just people being tired of hairdressers bad business practices. Its common knowledge if you don't like how someone does something do it yourself and thats what some of us are doing. I haven't been to a hairdresser in 3 years simply because I can handle my natural hair with the TLC it needs better than any hairdresser can.

I know a stylist who works on all types of hair and all ethnicities. She's AA and is very professional. However she is completely arrogant and refuse to adopt natural hair trends such as natural products in her salon etc. I also found stylists increasing their prices since clients are leaving and opting to do their own hair. She took my decision to take care of my hair personal esp since I was not about to pay $75 which was $15 more for a straw set to compensate for a loss of clients. I haven't been to a salon since 2009 and my hair is healthier, thicker, and longer than ever.

I hate to generalize (I am speaking from an experience I had and not all black owned and operated salons).

I went to a black owned salon last year at the recommendation of a friend.
The house was a mess.
The power went out twice.
She left me in the chair while she went to pick up her grandson.
She ate grapes while she did my hair
She talked on the phone most of the time, enabling me from asking questions.
It was really loud. The clients in the next room were watching a Tyler Perry movie that I know they have seen ten times and laughing so loud.

She did an okay job but I never went back.

Getting my hair done is a treat. I like to be relaxed and leave feeling beautiful and confident. I want it quick and painless.

i think it's the recession. i think dominican salons are doing well because they are cheap.

i personally stopped going to black salons long long time ago due the unprofessional behavior listed in previous posts. i don't have time to spend all my money and be treated like i'm doing them a favor by doing business there.

i went to a more expensive, white owned salon because i'd pay more to be treated with respect. i did my hair in between visits myself to save the difference in price. weekly visits at an unprofessional shop cost me $50. visits every two months at a white owned salon that treated my time with value $125. i was actually saving money and time!

NOW i go to an african american owned salon and have a stylist who is expensive (comparatively speaking) but she only does my hair when i am there. no other customers. she doesn't talk on the phone over my head. she knows how to do natural hair. isn't scissor happy or jealous or stupid! (sorry....i get mad everytime i think of how i wasted a whole day at a salon with someone who cut off my progress, and overprocessed my hair!)

just to add....i agree with reeko43.....the article did not touch on the REASONS WHY salons are becoming extinct.

i know salons that do natural and relaxed hair, treat customers with respect and value our business that are doing just fine.

i believe some salons are losing customers because a lot of ladies are DIYs both relaxed and natural b/c of rising prices, unprofessionalism, unhealthy salon practices, or they dont their hair ripped out by rattail combs, or their progress chopped off by SHSs...but idk if its so extreme that a whole bunch of shops are closing down b/c its still alot of women that go to salons religiously to get their hair done...i know grown women that dont even wash their own hair, they let the salon do it.

The article was too short and left out alot of info. I'm relaxed and I used to have a standing bi-weekly appointment. My stylist at the time LOVED me! :lol:

Now, I have a new stylist and I only see her every 3 1/2 months for my relaxer touch ups. I do everything else myself. She doesn't give me a hard time about my schedule and actually encourages relaxer stretching. My ultimate goal is to only get 3 relaxer touch ups a year.

To make up for me going less, I tip well. However, she earns the tip. I never wait more than 5 minutes, she has me in and out in an hour, and my hair always looks fabulous.

I put up with all kinds of nonsense years ago with SHSs and unprofessional stylists. Never again. Like someone else said in this thread the lousy stylists who treat our hair like they used to treat their Barbie dolls are feeling the heat from this recession. I've learned that my hair can progress just fine without them abusing it and charging me an arm and a leg.

I have little sympathy for them. As far as culture? The gossip and shop talk was fun to listen to but it wasn't enough to let them keep trashing my hair.

I haven't been to a Black Salon since '05 or '06. I will never go to one again unless they change!

-They need to stop being slow! You come in at 7am and leave at 7pm. I don't spend that much time at my job!
-They need to stop eating all over the clients head! Who eats around hair anyways...Nasty much!
-The clients have to stop having drama with other clients wanting to fight!
-The stylist have to stop bringing their baby daddy drama to work!
-They need to stop with the "somebody stole my clients from me" drama! Upgrade your skills ma!
-They need to stop talking on the phone while curling, flat-ironing or relaxing people's hair!
-They need to stop asking their clients to do ish for them like, "Yeah I know you are MY client and you are PAYING ME to provide a service for YOU, but while you waiting for your turn to get under the dryer... can you run next door to the lickka store and get me a pop".
-They just need to be professional!

Maybe this will be a wakeup call for them!

This is both hilarious and sad because it's so true! And you must be from the Midwest because that is just how it goes down—stylists sending someone down the street to get a 79 cent red Faygo pop, SMH. Ah, my youth in Detroit hair salons...that post just made me reminisce.

If they want to start making more business, they need to change their own things. Just like salons had to learn to do relaxers instead of press n' curls, they now should start learning about natural hair and the many beautiful styles they can create. I know I don't have the dexterity to do many of these styles, so I would gladly pay someone else to do it for me for a while. However, the idiots that did my hair have no idea how to manage long natural hair either.

Further more they can make a business out of GROWING long hair instead of contributing to the damaging products and services that keep our hair short and ugly. Imagine it: "Long Hair Salons" comitted to getting get your black hair as long, strong, and healthy.

ITA with the bolded. My boyfriend and I have talked for months about what it would be like to start a salon like that. If the trend is truly moving the way Essence says it is, that might not be a bad idea...

I personally have not been a regular salon visitor since High School. I did go to a salon last year because my boyfriend insisted—we had an event to go to and being a man from the south, he was still of the mindset that a woman HAD TO go to a salon if she were dolling up for an event. I did not want straight hair so I asked for a rod set and that stylist had me leaving there looking like a 6th grader with all these tight candy curls in my head! She used sooooo much setting foam that my hair was tearing when she took the rods out. I told her that I like a loose, fuller curly look and she proceeded to press my roots :confused: That was the last time the beau asked me to go to a salon...I truly could have done my hair better myself.

Although I'm not engaged and don't plan on marrying anytime soon, I'm seriously considering doing my own hair for my wedding. Black stylist in general are just terrible with natural hair. It's just less stressful to do it myself, plus the results are way better IMO.

Good riddance! I'm glad I stopped going to the salons when I did or I wouldn't have any hair on my head by now.

The salons I frequented and the stylists I know perpetuate ignorance about black hair. And every time I meet a stylist, why do they keep insisting I NEED a texturizer if I'm gonna wear my hair natural???:nono:

Last edited:
Nope. They don't teach you that in beauty school. You have to learn that through your own interest.

And that is sad. I would have thought during schooling they'd be taught about different textures! :nono: This thread is so on point especially those of you referring to beauticians professionalism, pricing, and skills affecting thier decline in business.

Last edited:
People just got tired of the "crap" and learned to do their own hair. I still can't get salon results at home so I'll remain faithful to my stylist; but she is one of the few professional and ON TIME stylists I've ever gone to

And that is sad. I would have thought during schooling they'd be taught about different textures! :nono: This thread is so on point especially those of you referring to beauticians professionalism, pricing, and skills affecting thier decline in business.

Have you ever seen a mannequin head with anything other than type 1 hair? They do teach how to perm (straight to curly) and relax hair, but that's about it when dealing with textures.

But according to some, the disappearance of the Black salon is robbing women of a rich cultural experience. "You are erasing culture... history... and a way African-Americans have socialized with each other for decades,"

Uhmm.... most of the salons I visited are messy, gossip filled, and staffed with rude stylist that eat everywhere. I think the closings are mostly self inflicted. I don't see this as a cultural loss :nono:.

Not all salons are (totally) unprofessional. I think that in a black salon you find a place of comfort so not everyone is so uptight. I know of two salons in my area that are very professional and upscale but warm and inviting as well. My long time stylist did break some of the rules but that was only when he was around family (I count myself as one but we're not really related). I didn't mind because he was not abusive with it. In fact he would not even play a certain type of music until most of his clients had left the salon.

Of course when you go fto upscale salons you have to pay upscale prices. I don't go to him anymore just because it became too pricey and I went in another direction. I used to go weekly then 2x per month then every 3 weeks then I started getting weaves and his price was steep so I went in search of and found a cheaper stylist but she was the ghetto stylist from Hades :blush: LOL! Everything you spoke of in the previous posts she was guilty of - and more.

Another professional pricey stylist (black) gently shared with me that I could be natural and still rock a straight style. I heeded her advice then found the hair forums and have only been to a salon maybe five times in the past (almost) 2 years - mostly for trims. I have let a few people cornrow my hair. I am now my own stylist. It takes a lot of time and I don't always get it right and I know that I am not a professional or even close but its a labor of love and I'm pleased that I chose the natural route:grin:. Its always affirming to get compliments or questions about my styles or regimen or to be told that I was their inspiration. Who me:lol:?

I think the salons will be around for awhile but they are probably taking a hit for lots of reasons - as are most businesses. I would prefer not to go to a white stylist only because I just don't trust that they know how to properly care for my type of hair. On the few occasions that I have tried them I have been right.

Have you ever seen a mannequin head with anything other than type 1 hair? They do teach how to perm (straight to curly) and relax hair, but that's about it when dealing with textures.

:lachen: Nope. But I always thought because that was the cheapest synthetic hair to duplicate. I bought my niece one for 15 bucks, it was cheaper and browner than Barbie.

This is both hilarious and sad because it's so true! And you must be from the Midwest because that is just how it goes down—stylists sending someone down the street to get a 79 cent red Faygo pop, SMH. Ah, my youth in Detroit hair salons...that post just made me reminisce.

LOL yes I am from Detroit as well! Yes they do that or they have their clients go on a chicken run too! You know its time to find a new salon or be a DIY'er when they start ordering food at your salon. That means you gone be there a longgggggggggg time!

You should NEVER have enough time to eat a salon when getting your hair done. You should be in and out *snaps fingers* like that!

Honestly, I am glad to see the trend--makes room for a more knowledgeable and customer friendly hair stylist. One of my 2011 goals is to be a hair stylist---one that caters to the needs of the client...NOT MY BOTTOM LINE.

Quality and consistency brings business; professionalism a must.

Honestly, I am glad to see the trend--makes room for a more knowledgeable and customer friendly hair stylist. One of my 2011 goals is to be a hair stylist---one that caters to the needs of the client...NOT MY BOTTOM LINE.

Quality and consistency brings business; professionalism a must.

I start beauty school next month and plan on being a stylist next year too. I would be lying if I said that my bottom line doesn't come 1st. I will cater to the needs of the client and the health of their hair is very important, but survival is the 1st goal of any business.

I plan on being very professional and taking very good care of all of my clients hair, but they will pay for it. I will specialize so my services will be worth the price. Be careful in how you market your services and don't lowball yourself. People are always willing to pay $$ for good customer service.

Nope. They don't teach you that in beauty school. You have to learn that through your own interest.

I'd say that true for most schools. But some do try to focus on different hair textures. Aveda is a good example.

I love a good salon that caters to a multicultural clientele. Haven't been to a stereotypical black salon in ages due to lack of professionalism and time management skills.

I think one of the reasons why black salons are losing business is because more and more people are choosing to do their own hair. For two years, i had been searching for a stylist who would take care of my natural 4B hair. I found that many people either a) did not want to deep condition my hair and b) were rough with it when blowdrying. Many of them would often towel dry my hair roughly. I said enough was enough. I bought my cortex flat iron from TJ Max and use my redken products and my hair turn out just as good, if not better than when i was going to the salon. Also, I take better care of my hair than anyone else will. You will not find me in the salon for a while.

I think this is the reason for some of us also. I have not stepped into a salon since the summer of 2002 and that was only to get my ends trimmed on already clean and straightened hair.
I am like you, I know my hair better and can do it better in MUCH shorter time. Why pay the money anyway??:look:

AA

Has anyone thought of starting a Long Hair Salon for black women?
(Relaxed or natural) I think if salons, in addition to professionalism, started turning out healthy hair and longer hair. They would get more clients.

AA

its called job training when we have new medical practices or computer programs we have to go for classes. They better roll with the times i am self taught i can weave color and cut AND i take care of my neices natural hair so idk why they are not on it since the rise of the dominican salons

Has anyone thought of starting a Long Hair Salon for black women?
(Relaxed or natural) I think if salons, in addition to professionalism, started turning out healthy hair and longer hair. They would get more clients.

AA

Yes. I will have to build up to it but my salon will focus on growing long healthy hair but it will be multicultural. I've heard just as many yt women say they have a hard time growing their hair out as aa women.

I agree. If you have a good product or service coupled with excellent customer service, people will come and don't mind paying for it.

LOL yes I am from Detroit as well! Yes they do that or they have their clients go on a chicken run too! You know its time to find a new salon or be a DIY'er when they start ordering food at your salon. That means you gone be there a longgggggggggg time!

You should NEVER have enough time to eat a salon when getting your hair done. You should be in and out *snaps fingers* like that!

Lansing checking in on this one, have you ever had them go on a break to eat the delivery in front of you :nono:?

But according to some, the disappearance of the Black [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]salon[/COLOR] is robbing women of a rich cultural experience. "You are erasing culture... history... and a way African-Americans have socialized with each other for decades," said Charles Gallagher, a white Sociology Professor at La Salle University. "[At White salons] you don't learn
[/COLOR]​

Maybe someone should tell the kind professor that some Black people go to church, volunteer at community centers, get soul food take-out and read the newspapers...as well as gossip with friends and family. Black salons as a rich cultural experience might be the case for some but not for all. Besides, they are often overbooked, wasting your time and money. I don't care much to hear about Laquisha's boyfriend last Saturday night and the fight she had with LaTeesha's cousin where the police intervened. I also don't want to be asked to buy fragrance oils by a man with henna-tinted beard, carrying a rickety cardboard box and selling bean pies in the trunk of his car. Foremost, I want my service started within 5-10 minutes of the appointment time and certainly do not want to have it stop mid-air while you go and get fried catfish and hushpuppies at momma-anem, bring it back, talk on the phone and juggle bites and licking fingers while touching my head.:look: Those were ghetto salons. As for the buppie bougie Black salons in the burbs? They replaced professionalism with attitude-ism, thinking it is one and the same.:rolleyes:

Lansing checking in on this one, have you ever had them go on a break to eat the delivery in front of you :nono:?

Or how about after you turn down the chicken run lady's offer to bring you something back, your stylist says: "You sure you don't want her to bring you something back?"

That's when you know you won't see home before sundown.:nono:

Back