Black products and services - why can't we just pay up?

Why does it always seem that many people in here have an issue with products and services by black women/companies if the prices are higher than what "they" think it should be? I rephrased this questions several times and I hope this makes sense And BTW, I'm black as well in case anyone is wondering.

It almost seems like people expect products and services rendered by black women should be discounted or something. Then I've seen members cause another member to change their mind about getting a more expensive service because people feel it should be cheaper. Why do we feel the need to try to put our own price tag on things like that?

For example: One of the Miss Jessie's threads really took me for a loop. The OP asked something like "If money were no object, would you get your hair done at Miss Jessies?" Then so many people chimed in and said that it's too expensive or that it should be $200 instead of $600. How can someone devalue a service? I understand if someone feels that the service they received was not worth anything because they were not satisfied, but to try to re-price it altogether?...... Those girls are providing a service that THEY feel is worth $600. I don't think they could ever fully justify why they charge what they charge to anyone's satisfaction - and they shouldn't have to. If they did, they would probably list a whole bunch of things that people would STILL try to downplay. I wanted to post a reply in that thread but I didn't want to throw it off-topic.

Another example: Someone posted a thread about the lady from Boundless Tresses charging $11 for shipping. Then someone else in the thread expected the BT owner to come and "explain herself" about the shipping charge. What the? She is selling a quality product and does anyone think about the labor that goes behind it when it comes to shipping? How about boxes, internal packaging, labeling of the bottle, etc.

Why do we feel like we are entitled to discounted products and services all the time? If you want the product, can't you just pay and call it a day? I hardly see anyone complain about paying $30 for 2oz of Kerastase product but you'll complain about $50 for 16oz of a Miss Jessie's product or $11 for shipping for BT. That's just to name a couple.

very true!

Me, i buy anything no matter the price if i want it i will buy it! lol (an i wonder why im always broke lol)

There are plenty of services / products by non black vendors that by MY standards are overpriced(including shipping) and I don't buy.

I am very happy to purchase from Black vendors (like my current fav, sweetcashew) that meet MY standards for quality and price.

In the case of Miss Jessie's, I think that the prices they charge would be debated regardless of who is doing the charging.

The price/value of Aveda and Ojon is debated back and forth across hair hair boards.

From an economic point of view, it makes perfect sense that the supply and demand price points be a steady topic on high end products/services.

I guarantee that as I type somebody on a shoe board is debating whether Louboutin's are worth a mortgage payment.

There are plenty of services / products by non black vendors that by MY standards are overpriced(including shipping) and I don't buy.

I am very happy to purchase from Black vendors (like my current fav, sweetcashew) that meet MY standards for quality and price.

I understand and respect your opinion. For the bolded part, I wanted to add that I know that people also complain about non-black services/pricing BUT to me, it seems that the black vendors get more of the OMG-that's-expensive flagrant statements. When it's a non-black vendor, one may complain about the price, then choose not to buy and keep it moving. From what I've seen, most of the black vendors, people complain about the price THEN state why it shouldn't be priced as such, THEN the re-pricing starts sometimes.

I'm somewhat on the fence on this one & I say that b/c I, too, have been guilty of complaining about price. Too Groovy is an infamous salon in the area that I live in & the prices are more than I'm accumstomed to paying. The owner of Too Groovy has branched off & opened her own salon & her prices are even higher than those at Too Groovy. However, all of the ladies that I've seen pics of have had gorgeous hair after visiting there & all have assured me that their prices are worth it. And honestly even though I initially complained about the prices, I will one day treat myself to a visit.

When it comes to products I can be cheap & it doesn't matter if it's a black or a white product. Sareca suggested Aveda DR to me & I just couldn't bring myself to pay that much for that conditioner so opted for the less expensive Nexxus Humectress. Now if things don't work out w/the Humectress I will go ahead & give Aveda a try but I won't like it. :nono: So basically I am one that will complain about price from time to time. But... if I think it's worth it then I'll spend the money. Because basically it's about what I think since it's my money that I'll be spending.

And of course that's just my opinion...

I will support quality black services and products, but I won't be paying $600 in this lifetime for any hair service by any vendor, black, white or green. :nono:

Key word, quality, with good customer service as well. I hate the double booking, won't pick up the phone so you can make an appointment and give them your hard earned money, bumping you out of the chair for someone else with a quick cut or brow wax, etc. etc. behavior at some "black" salons. I long to find a quality black salon that I can support with my funds. They deserve it! :yep:

In the case of Miss Jessie's, I think that the prices they charge would be debated regardless of who is doing the charging.

The price/value of Aveda and Ojon is debated back and forth across hair hair boards.

From an economic point of view, it makes perfect sense that the supply and demand price points be a steady topic on high end products/services.

I guarantee that as I type somebody on a shoe board is debating whether Louboutin's are worth a mortgage payment.

But perhaps their goal is to target the high-end market or something like that? Another example, Ellin Lavar charges about $600 for her weaves and she obviously is targeting the celebrities and women who choose to pay more. I just think that there's a market for almost everything and everyone in the world. There's a market for $10 cornrow services for people that do hair in their kitchen - then there's a market for $50 cornrow services in salons or wherever...and so forth.

just wanted to add:

yh i think since different people hav different things that work for them, some things that may b worth the money to some will not be worth it to other. the people selling the producuts will definately not b able to plse every1.

:)

I have to respectfully disagree with your opinion. If boundless tresses (made by a black woman nl:grin:) has shipping charges of $11 and susie snowflake is selling the same item and the shipping is also $11 and I have a problem with high shipping prices, I won't buy it from either and complain about both :lachen: Things that are overpriced (not you NL) won't be seeing a dime out of my pocket, black white or otherwise.

I've not noticed a theme of us complaining only about the cost of "black" produced products. I think we are complainers (or lovers) across the color board :yep:

I recently purchased Terax Crema. (by the way, I'm in LOVE). I did a search on it, and most of the post state it's too expensive. This is an italian product. It's not soley black products, it's all products. You've probably never noticed the other complaints because if you had, you would have known it's not just the black products prices being criticized.

I buy quality products and dont mind shelling out the cash regardless of the owners race. At the same time I like to shop around for the best prices and S&H plays a big part since 90% of my staple products are purchased online. I love Chaz Dean WEN products (and he is white) but rarely purchase from his store becuase the S&H is crazy, I normally will go to curlmart or QVC to purchase his products were the S&H is a lot cheaper.

Frankly Miss Jessie's products are over priced and do not cut the mustard, this is my opinion based soley on the contents in most of her products.

I recently purchased Terax Crema. (by the way, I'm in LOVE). I did a search on it, and most of the post state it's too expensive. This is an italian product. It's not soley black products, it's all products. You've probably never noticed the other complaints because if you had, you would have known it's not just the black products prices being criticized.

Oh I have noticed the other complaints but from what I have seen, the black ones get the brunt of them... so that's my stand on that. I never said it was soley black products.

I haven't found a black service (in particular salon) that I can stand behind fully... maybe because of where I live, but I plan on sticking with what works instead of going broke trying to support my "peoples".

Well this is what I have noticed and this is across the board, black and white: some not all just some. Some people want something for nothing. Period. And I'll just leave it at that.
ETA: Oh yeah. Aint no way in Gods green Earth I would pay ANYBODY $200-$600 to do my hair. I dont care if Jesus the Christ was doing it. Nah uh> Not happening. $600. WOW!!!!!!

But different strokes for different folks! :grin:

Last edited:
Price for services is usually relative to your income and what you are used too but the issue mainly with black salons seems to be the QUALITY of service.

I have no problem paying 120-200 bucks (when I have it) for a quality relaxer service. For a salon experience that has stylist that are on time, knowledgeable, patient and ones that interact with you to design care that caters to your needs. The thing is, it usually doesn't happen like that.

I am not going to pay that kind of money to be talked down too and mistreated, whether you are black or white.

Well this is what I have noticed and this is across the board, black and white: some not all just some. Some people want something for nothing. Period. And I'll just leave it at that.
ETA: Oh yeah. Aint no way in Gods green Earth I would pay ANYBODY $200-$600 to do my hair. I dont care if Jesus the Christ was doing it. Nah uh> Not happening. $600. WOW!!!!!!

But different strokes for different folks! :grin:

I wouldn't necessarily pay $600 for a silkener service but that's only because I don't need or want one. BUT I wouldn't try to say that they should charge xyz dollars instead. They charge what they charge. People who pay it, pay it. And obviously the demand for their services showed that people will and do pay it.

I wouldn't necessarily pay $600 for a silkener service but that's only because I don't need or want one. BUT I wouldn't try to say that they should charge xyz dollars instead. They charge what they charge. People who pay it, pay it. And obviously the demand for their services showed that people will and do pay it.
ITA. I have no problem with what anyone charges for a product/service. Shoot you could charge $1000 for some fingerwaves or something and somebody will pay it. I wont though. I also agree that people should not say what a person should charge. Who are you (not you FlyGirl) to put a pricetag on someones labor?

I half way agree with your point, and I do think we are HARDER on black vendors as far as expectations. Like the fact that people expect people to come in here and explain every time they have a gripe yet if it was Amazon they would be emailing customer service.

As far as the pricing I think its okay for people to discuss the prices and decide they arent worth it as they see fit and even say what they would pay.

As someone who intitated a thread to ridicule the price of a hhair product just last week, I am going to say that as a consumer, I have every right to complain about whatever I want to complain about when I am spending (or considering spending) my money. I do not know if Ted Gibson is white, black, or polka dot, $200 for dressed up castor oil is ridiculous in my opinion - and as this is a board where we are (presumably) free to express opinion, I will say again, $200 for dressed up castor oil is flipping ridiculous.

That said, expensive is a subjective and relative term completely dependent upon one's income and budget.

As far as the racial issue, I have not frequented a black salon in years and have no intention of doing so because I will not pay for slow, rude, shoddy service which was my experience multiple times over years. When looking for hair products, I want what works and do not look for the ethnicity of the maker. And if I question the price - then I do and shamelessly.

If you want to make this a racial thing - blacks are not completely economically equal to whites so if you are a company like Miss Jessies targeting black women and charging double for a hair cut than the famous white hair dressers like jonathon anton on Bravo's Blowout - then expect to get some criticism.

Oh I have noticed the other complaints but from what I have seen, the black ones get the brunt of them... so that's my stand on that. I never said it was soley black products.

I agree with you. IMO, we are harder on this board and IRL on black products and services. I can't imagine anyone actually admitting it in this thread, however.

ITA. IMO, there is a lot of judgment around pricing based on personal experience. However, personal experience is limited to personal experience. Service costs are relative, there are people who might be glad to pay $600 for a service because they were used to paying $800. Also, I would love to give some of these people who say they would NEVER have this service or buy this shoe a dime or two and watch to see if their spending habits change.:yep::yep::yep::yep: I would bet these same people would be knocking you DOWN to get to Jimmy Choo and Miss Jessie's.

If you want to make this a racial thing - blacks are not completely economically equal to whites so if you are a company like Miss Jessies targeting black women and charging double for a hair cut than the famous white hair dressers like jonathon anton on Bravo's Blowout - then expect to get some criticism.

Thank you for your response.

Black people alone have made the hair industry a multi-billion dollar industry. I feel that we as blacks will afford what we want to afford. I know women that complain about paying their "black" stylist $300 for a service but in the same breath they'll say "Girl, have you seen that new Chanel handbag for $1200? I'll be copping that next week."

I feel that black people have come a looong way as far as income and being economically stable which is why I think that some black vendors ARE becoming more high-end....because there's a market for it.

ETA: As long as you're delivering a quality product, then so be it. If it turns out that the general consumer (the majority) feels the product or service is crap and not worth $0, then that company would hopefully be smart enough to take notice to complaints and revamp the product or service OR discount it at that point.

I just don't get the fact that some people feel like black companies should give a "Black Price" if you will.

I mean, really, what IS considered a do-able price for all blacks? ....There isn't one.

I just don't get the fact that some people feel like black companies should give a "Black Price" if you will.

I mean, really, what IS considered a do-able price for all blacks? ....There isn't one.

Last edited:
I will support quality black services and products, but I won't be paying $600 in this lifetime for any hair service by any vendor, black, white or green. :nono:

Key word, quality, with good customer service as well. I hate the double booking, won't pick up the phone so you can make an appointment and give them your hard earned money, bumping you out of the chair for someone else with a quick cut or brow wax, etc. etc. behavior at some "black" salons. I long to find a quality black salon that I can support with my funds. They deserve it! :yep:

PREACH!!!

I'd like to add, the gossiping about the beautician on the other side of the shop, the lunch breaks while in the middle of my hair, the leaving the salon to go pick up little pookie and Ray Ray from the babysitters, and charging me $50 for what a Dominican is willing to do for $15 and even $12 if it's a Tuesday.

As for products, if they're quality, then I'll pay if it's within my budget.

I only purchase my skin and face soaps from black vendors and the manufacturer is African owned.

As someone who intitated a thread to ridicule the price of a hhair product just last week, I am going to say that as a consumer, I have every right to complain about whatever I want to complain about when I am spending (or considering spending) my money. I do not know if Ted Gibson is white, black, or polka dot, $200 for dressed up castor oil is ridiculous in my opinion - and as this is a board where we are (presumably) free to express opinion, I will say again, $200 for dressed up castor oil is flipping ridiculous.

That said, expensive is a subjective and relative term completely dependent upon one's income and budget.
My thoughts exactly. As long as the products work for me, i dont care the race of the owner. If i want it, i will get the money to buy it and if i dont have the money, i will rant and rave as much as i want to. Any hair product/style/technique that is more than 300 bucks is definitely not doable for me....doesnt matter the race of the person styling/selling.

I agree with you. IMO, we are harder on this board and IRL on black products and services. I can't imagine anyone actually admitting it in this thread, however.

I have no problem saying it - as a general rule, I do not use nor do I even consider using products created by blacks. The expection being the wonderful Boundless Tresses created by our very own Natural Lady. Right now, I am preparing an order for a thing or two from Sweet Cashew. These are products I buy/ will buy because, having read the information about hair care posted by these ladies, I have faith in their knowledge; after doing a bit of research, I have faith in the quality of the product. As they are both members of this board whose products I have read about, I would like to support them.

I was in Sally's today looking for a less expensive conditioner for co-washes. Mineral oil and a host of other things I refuse to put on my hair comprised the majority of the ingredient lists. If blacks want to sell to blacks,then make quality products. That's really simple.

As far as going to a black salon - been there, done that, and never again. My time is valuable to me, and I expect good service for my hard-earned money. The shennagins that go on in the black salons I have patronized over the years would get a stylist fired at the white salon I just started going to. There, my appointment is for 10 am sharp and my stylist takes me a 10 am sharp. She pays absolute attention to me the entire time I am there. She knows what she is doing, does not book other customers at the same time, does not stop working on my hair to attend to someone else, does not spend more time gossiping to others in the room - her attention is on me; she is good at what she does, AND is respectful and considerate of my time. Now, if I found a black salon that offered the same exemplary service, I might consider switching, but years ago I started doing my own hair because that was not the case.

It's one thing to complain about how we are hard on black stylists, salons, and products, but there is a reason for it. Consider that this board comprises women from across the country and around the word, yet there is a common denominator when we list reasons we are not happy with black businesses - do you think this is a coincidence?

Back