BKT Negative Effects or Horror Stories?

Kurlee

I have been interested in BKT for quite some time, but the formaldehyde and its derivatives in the product, scare me:look:. I wanted to hear about some NEGATIVE experiences that some may have had. I have been hearing alot of good, but no bad. Also, can someone post pics of their hair reverting back to normal after the treatment?

THANKSSSSSSS

I think it so new to this board, no one has posted their hair reverting back completely. I guess only time will tell.

yikes! See that's the thing. My hair would die at 450 degrees and I kinda wanna wait for the LONG TERM effects. Everything is great in teh beginning, but what happens after a long time, continued applications? That's what I want to see. Thatbks to the ladies who posted their experiences

My hair is starting to wave back up because I just put demi-permanent black dye in it. I touched up my roots with a reddish color last week but I just LOVE black hair so I went back to black. I could see the waves (I'm a 3b/c tex-laxed) reappearing especially in the crown. Most of it is straight but the color can remove some of the treatment.

My front has always been wavy. Now its more straight than wavy. The back is pretty much back to normal but the front...:ohwell:
No more treatments for me. My hair is still manageable. I would have thought the treatment worn off by now.

Ok, I will post my review. I did not want to say anything b/c I blamed myself. I had BKT professionally done. Wow, it looked awesome for about two months. While vacationing I used the wrong type shampoo and notice that my hair started to revert alittle. Because I did not like how my hair was looking....I decided well let me help my hair in the reversion process and just go back natural. I thought the warning about SC shampoos was just for you to avoid reversion but no...its more. My hair,which was already fine, started to fall out/strip away. ...I had see thru hair....My hair literally melted off my head. Eventually I had to do a Basic Chop and it took the longest for my hair to grow back.... It was like the new growth I was getting was not healthy or something. I blamed myself b/c I did not follow the directions.

--->Note, I was willing to try it again but was going to follow the instructions this time. So, I am not saying it is a BKT problem but mine since I did not follow the instructions. I do think they should tell people that the Sodium free shampoos is a requirement not a suggestion. Due to economics and my desire to stay natural...I think I want to try to put money in my pocket now and stop trying to be a consumer. ...Again, not a slight against BKT.

Last edited:
Ok, I will post my review. I did not want to say anything b/c I blamed myself. I had BKT professionally done. Wow, it looked awesome for about two months. While vacationing I used the wrong type shampoo and notice that my hair started to revert alittle. Because I did not like how my hair was looking....I decided well let me help my hair in the reversion process and just go back natural. I thought the warning about SC shampoos was just for you to avoid reversion but no...its more. My hair,which was already fine, started to fall out/strip away. ...I had see thru hair....My hair literally melted off my head. Eventually I had to do a Basic Chop and it took the longest for my hair to grow back.... It was like the new growth I was getting was not healthy or something. I blamed myself b/c I did not follow the directions.
thanks so much for the review. This is one of the things I am afraid of. I like to play around and mix products, if they happen to have SC, i'm toast!!!!! I think i will just stick to my occasional blowouts with my natural hair and deal with the shrinkage because transitioning is NO JOKE and I NEVER want to EVER do it again.:look:

--->Note, I was willing to try it again but was going to follow the instructions this time. So, I am not saying it is a BKT problem but mine since I did not follow the instructions. I do think they should tell people that the Sodium free shampoos is a requirement not a suggestion. Due to economics and my desire to stay natural...I think I want to try to put money in my pocket now and stop trying to be a consumer. ...Again, not a slight against BKT.

I'm so sorry this happened to you. I've been using BKT for awhile (I haven't used it for like a year though). I just can't fathom how using bkt could make all this happen. I don't understand. It doesn't make sense at all. The only downside that I've experienced for bkt is that the hair can be dry sometimes after the first couple of washes. Dryness was never that serious of a problem for me. My normal conditioning routine cured it without me having to add anything extra. If you up your conditioning, I think one could be able to combat this easily.

Using sodium chloride should only strip the bkt off your hair, not cause uncontrollably shedding. I hypothesize that your hair started shedding and breaking due to excessive dryness. That's the only thing that I can think of. When my sis and I started using bkt, we were experimenting with different shampoos. One in particular stripped my sis's hair of the bkt and made her hair dry. She was able to fix it by using a really moisturizing conditioner.

What type did you use?

I'm so bummed about this right now. I was hoping this could solve my detangling problems and help my hair to dry faster. I have my eyebrow up. I've heard so many great reviews. I'll watch and see what's up.

What type did you use?
I really don't remember the brands but it was not sulfate free b/c I only had one brand (Euclence (sp)) that was sulfate free.....My routine when natural: shampoo (anything around the house) .....leave in conditioner Euclence (sp) MB,....,henna ...(for keeping my hair strong). I did not have henna in my hair during the BKT.

....I don't remember trying to condition my hair alot while on it as well b/c I thought that it was keratin being fused in my hair so I did not need to focus on that. That could have been my mistake as well.

Last edited:
My front has always been wavy. Now its more straight than wavy. The back is pretty much back to normal but the front...:ohwell:
No more treatments for me. My hair is still manageable. I would have thought the treatment worn off by now.
You used the Ulta Keratin treatment right? I saw a lot of not so favorable reviews on that treatment. I was kind of concerned when I read about that brand. Have you tried using Joico K-pak , it has Sodium Chloride in it which should help strip the product out of your hair.

Your hair looks to be in beautiful condition!

ETA: Well never mind about the Sodium Chloride...I will do some more research because my understanding was that the CL would just cause the product to wear off. :scratchch

Off to research :cowgirl:

Last edited:
Did anyone read this part of the article?

Most interesting part is that BKT claim smooth silky hair using Keratin, but it seems keratin has nothing to do with hair straightening and does NOT change the structure of the hair and it's really the formaldehyde that makes the treatment work. According to Allure Magazine "It's doubtful that keratin does anything except provide a good marketing story. It's window dressing."

I would be very concerned.

My friend said she had a similar treatment done and her hair won't revert. It looks limp frizz instead of regular natural hair. I'd say she is a 3b.

Most interesting part is that BKT claim smooth silky hair using Keratin, but it seems keratin has nothing to do with hair straightening and does NOT change the structure of the hair and it's really the formaldehyde that makes the treatment work. According to Allure Magazine "It's doubtful that keratin does anything except provide a good marketing story. It's window dressing."

Yeah, I think everyone at this point knows about that point. People still wanting to do it are people who don't really care about the formaldehyde or aldehyde and think its worth it for straight/manageable hair, or those who have judged for themselves that in their opinion the amount of formaldehyde in it would not be harmful to their health.

You used the Ulta Keratin treatment right? I saw a lot of not so favorable reviews on that treatment. I was kind of concerned when I read about that brand. Have you tried using Joico K-pak , it has Sodium Chloride in it which should help strip the product out of your hair.

ETA: Well never mind about the Sodium Chloride...I will do some more research because my understanding was that the CL would just cause the product to wear off. :scratchch

omg atlanta you did it! I haven't been on here in a minute and I miss all of this :grin: I'm a little tempted to do it for the winter but I'm scared. I just got my hair back after that henna mess, so I'm afraid to fix what ain't broken. I know your hair is similar to mine so I think I'll just live vicariously through you until I get the courage :spinning:

It is good to see longer term reviews about this.... In addtion - the shampooing by mistake....etc.

Interesting..............It also shows that no matter what the process ( henna, relaxers, BKT's, and like) the long term results are important to investigate.

My hair is too thin for any of these processes... so I will be staying away.

Sorry for everyone's bad expereinces.

I might catch flak for saying this, but I have yet to see one head of hair that looks healthy after the BKT. Hell, even at the hair and beauty show, LICENSED PROFESSIONALS were in there and had used the BKT in their hair. I was like...is it supposed to look that way?:ohwell:

Thank you. Yeah, thats the brand I used. Good thing is, I dont do wash N go's. I wash style & go. Im using KPak now though. That stuff aint no joke! :)

I'm so bummed about this right now. I was hoping this could solve my detangling problems and help my hair to dry faster. I have my eyebrow up. I've heard so many great reviews. I'll watch and see what's up.
I been googling and have read a few stories of the "exploding hair". I'm getting kinda scurred. I knew there had to be something in it besides keratin and the whole mask wearing thing for the formaldehyde makes me nervous:look::look:

omg atlanta you did it! I haven't been on here in a minute and I miss all of this :grin: I'm a little tempted to do it for the winter but I'm scared. I just got my hair back after that henna mess, so I'm afraid to fix what ain't broken. I know your hair is similar to mine so I think I'll just live vicariously through you until I get the courage :spinning:
Girl u too? My hair was ravaged from henna. Lost all my curls and my hair became a puffy straight mess, extra dry too! It's been a long time since henna and when wet, my hair in some parts looks like someone who was transitioning:look:

Last edited:
I might catch flak for saying this, but I have yet to see one head of hair that looks healthy after the BKT. Hell, even at the hair and beauty show, LICENSED PROFESSIONALS were in there and had used the BKT in their hair. I was like...is it supposed to look that way?:ohwell:
'm starting to notice this as well. Love your youtube videos, btw:yep:

:yep::yep::yep:

Back