BKT MESSED UP MY HAIR!!

NinasLongAmbition

I wish I had pictures to show you how thin and lifeless my hair is. Im a 4a/4b transitioner who went into the salon last friday to get my bkt done after reading so many positive reviews.

First off the guy did not know how to deal with AA hair as well as he said he could. He ripped through my kinks and i felt my hair dying with each flat iron. I was cringing the whole time, there was a point where I took out my big comb that i brought with me and started detangling my own damn hair! The whole problem was he told me to wash my hair before I came with shampoo and use no conditioner that does not work for 4a/4b hair so my hair was not in its softest state.

I am soo mad its been a week and if today wasnt christmas I WOULD CALL TO ASK HOW TO GET RID OF THIS CRAP. I MISS MY THICKNESS , I LOST OVER HALF MY THICKNESS MY PONYTAILS LOOK PITIFUL!! PLEASE HELP ME..WHAT PRODUCTS SHOULD I USE TO MAKE MY HAIR THICKEN UP QUICK.
100_0969.jpg

^Most recent pic of my hair rollerset on close to 20 wk post hair Thanksgiving 09

Now my post(not so groomed) BKT hair:nono::nono:
100_1022.jpg

100_1024.jpg

I washed hair with a neutralizing shampoo ,henna'd(pic below), followed by a DC (4 HRS)
100_1027.jpg

Freshly rinsed hair
100_1039.jpg

100_1042.jpg

100_1049.jpg

^IS THAT ALOT, THERE WAS MORE HAIR IN MY SHOWER
SEE THROUGH HAIR
100_1062.jpg
:nono::nono:

Last edited:
Aw, I am so sorry to hear that sweetie (((((((BIG HUG)))))))

But remember when your har is straight it appears to be thinner because the bulk is gone.
I am sure your hair will bounce back after the BKT wears off.

^^ Thats what I thought but my hair is noticeably thinner, after washing it and I can just feel it. My hair is also falling out more than usual.:nono:

oo I always wondered what that was when I see the initials around here. I'm sorry that happened to you. Sebastian has a line that is good for thickening hair, I've used it on my BF's mom (shes a regular baldy locks) and it makes an immediate difference. Let me go google and see if they still make it, its been a while.

maybe you need a good protein. not only will protein help to thicken the hair but it will help the hair bounce back from all the heat that was used. i dont know your hair but maybe you should try doing a med. reconstructor every week followed by a very moisturizing conditioner. and lay off the heat for a month or more at a time.

Sorry to hear about your results. Which BKT did your stylist use?
If your hair is "relaxed" enough, you may want to opt for rollersets and other low heat styles. That may help thicken up your strands along with regular DCing.

The harsher the products you use (shampoo more than usual -but not so often as to cause a setback, with a shampoo that does contan sulfates, for instance), the faster the BKT will wear off, BTW.

I'm very sorry. :sad:This is what happened to my hair too with the BKT---thinning and excessive shedding is what resulted---signs of heat damage. And I STILL have pieces of hair that won't revert back after several trims and washes months later. (not to scare you) I overestimated the amount of heat my hair could take so I take the blame for my setback. I would start shampooing with sulfates and incorporate more protein (and moisture accordingly) into your regimen, but do it gradually so that you won't have a setback on top of another setback on your hands. See if you don't start noticing reversion. Baby that hair right now. My only other recommendation would be to let it grow out and trim as time goes by. It sounds awful and it is a last resort, but sometimes that is the most realistic option. That's basically what I did, because nothing else helped after a certain point. I hope this is not the case for you.

sorry to hear ... but should you blame BKT when you said the stylist didn't even know how to handle AA hair ? May be he just did something wrong during the procedure (which i still think is a relaxer anyway ** hides behind couch)

Last edited:
Im so sorry to hear this... :bighug:

It could have been the stylist the BKT or both. Baby that hair in everyway possible.

Sorry to hear this OP, sounds like the stylist didnt handle the hair with enough care, and then all heat as well, :nono:, thats what puts me off the BKT, the number of passes with a flat iron on high heat. try deep conditioning overnight, this always helps my hair

I know exactly what your talking about. I had a similar problem when I BKT'ed but it went away after a few washes. My hair felt really thin and flyaway, but it thickened back up out of nowhere.

I wouldn't say the BKT messed up my hair, but the change was permanent on most parts. My hair was texlaxed before the BKT and I had about 4inches of newgrowth. The part that was texlaxed was bone straight after the BKT and never did get any of the texture back. The new growth did eventually get it's texture back after a month or two. I don't feel I lost too much thickness, I just have to take care of my bone straight sections way differently. I didn't experience any abnormal shedding or anything like that.

You probably just need to give it a little more time and a few more washes. I hope everything works out for you.

Sorry that your experience went bad. However I must say this, You allowed him to tear and rip through your hair.

You were supposed to get up the first time he snatched through your precious locks. And thank him for his time and leave.

I cant feel that bad bc we as women do not have to beg anyone to take our money and mess up our hair.

Sorry that your experience went bad. However I must say this, You allowed him to tear and rip through your hair.

You were supposed to get up the first time he snatched through your precious locks. And thank him for his time and leave.

I cant feel that bad bc we as women do not have to beg anyone to take our money and mess up our hair.

She assumed he knew what he was doing. How many pros are actually novices in disguise?:rolleyes: Sometimes, people need to see that fraud before they get the courage to get up and walk out. The problem with her hair could possibly be both BKT and the stylist. What I've found out with hair products/methods mentioned on LHCF work differently for different people. BKT is just so new. I can't help thinking it's like playing russian roulette with your hair. We know the effects and dangers relaxers can cause on your hair. Do we really know what harmful effects BKT can cause? Does it truly just "wear off" your hair and leave it in the condition it was before you did the BKT treatment? IMHO, more research should be done before using this on your hair. Just like relaxers can be harmful, so can BKT. I hope your hair recovers, OP. I hope it won't ruin your transition.:sad:

She assumed he knew what he was doing. How many pros are actually novices in disguise?:rolleyes: Sometimes, people need to see that fraud before they get the courage to get up and walk out. The problem with her hair could possibly be both BKT and the stylist. What I've found out with hair products/methods mentioned on LHCF work differently for different people. BKT is just so new. I can't help thinking it's like playing russian roulette with your hair. We know the effects and dangers relaxers can cause on your hair. Do we really know what harmful effects BKT can cause? Does it truly just "wear off" your hair and leave it in the condition it was before you did the BKT treatment? IMHO, more research should be done before using this on your hair. Just like relaxers can be harmful, so can BKT. I hope your hair recovers, OP. I hope it won't ruin your transition.:sad:
I hear you, but my thing is this, we know instantly when a person does not know how to handle our hair. Op said in her post, he didnt know how to handle AA or 4 textured hair. ( wayyyyy before he started the treatment)For me (me) thats when I get up. Let alone allowing this man to put some treatment in it after roughing up my hair. It spelled disaster.

I hear you, but my thing is this, we know instantly when a person does not know how to handle our hair. Op said in her post, he didnt know how to handle AA or 4 textured hair. ( wayyyyy before he started the treatment)For me (me) thats when I get up. Let alone allowing this man to put some treatment in it after roughing up my hair. It spelled disaster.
You are so right! I should have walked out but no I wanted to try the BKT , I wanted my hair straight while transitioning I thought this was going to be the best thing since slice bread. Another thing is Im not that bold to just walk out while I already made an appt. drove 40 minutes and had a Christmas party that same night. I just sat there and now my hair is paying the cost.:nono: I really feel like pulling a Britney, but I know i might cry when my eyes glaze back over.:lachen:

You are so right! I should have walked out but no I wanted to try the BKT , I wanted my hair straight while transitioning I thought this was going to be the best thing since slice bread. Another thing is Im not that bold to just walk out while I already made an appt. drove 40 minutes and had a Christmas party that same night. I just sat there and now my hair is paying the cost.:nono: I really feel like pulling a Britney, but I know i might cry when my eyes glaze back over.:lachen:
Nah you dont need to cut it. Just pamper it. The good thing is that you can always save as much as possible. And get your thickness back.

I know exactly what your talking about. I had a similar problem when I BKT'ed but it went away after a few washes. My hair felt really thin and flyaway, but it thickened back up out of nowhere.

I wouldn't say the BKT messed up my hair, but the change was permanent on most parts. My hair was texlaxed before the BKT and I had about 4inches of newgrowth. The part that was texlaxed was bone straight after the BKT and never did get any of the texture back. The new growth did eventually get it's texture back after a month or two. I don't feel I lost too much thickness, I just have to take care of my bone straight sections way differently. I didn't experience any abnormal shedding or anything like that.

You probably just need to give it a little more time and a few more washes. I hope everything works out for you.

I had the exact same experience with BKT. I had my hair texlaxed less than a week before the procedure in June of this year and 6 months later the BKT hair is still bone-straight. I am currently dealing with three textures: the bone-straight BKT hair, the section that was texlaxed in Oct. and the new growth that is coming in.

My hair was a little thinner initially, but similar to the thickness that is lost when you first get a relaxer, and eventually thickened up after a couple of washes. I have had way less shedding or breakage since using BKT.

Sorry you had a negative experience with BKT, OP. Hopefully the sodium chloride products will get your hair back to its normal state quickly.

Deep condition the heck out of your hair... especially while it's out. I'd say wash the BKT a few times first to see if it thickens up...

It might have been the stylists' styling practices...and I'm sorry that you went through this. :(

I thought the BKT was not supposed to be permanent.

BKT is not permanent but it does last longer in relaxed, texlaxed, bleached (porous) hair. BKT does remove bulk and thickeness from your hair. Last week I washed my hair 3 times with ORS Creamy Aloe Shampoo and Pantene Clarifying shampoo and my texlaxed/BKT'd hair (BKT'd about 4-5 times) started waving up. :yep: So you can remove the treatment.

For texlaxed hair, the entire truth would be that results vary. Some have experienced sucessful reversion and others haven't and won't.

My pre-BKT texlaxed hair is still bone straight after 8 months, I would say that's permanent.

I thought the BKT was not supposed to be permanent.

I'm sorry this happened to you. If you really want to strip it try this (I have done this successfully and mine and other heads)

Prepare henna and let it sit overnight. In the morning add two tablespoons of sea salt to mixture put on hair and let sit for at least four hours. Clarify after rinsing out then use the most moisturizing dc you have and dc for at least an hour. You should have a lot more thickness back. If you want it completely gone you may have to do it again. Otherwise just let it wear off normally.

I'm sorry this happened to you. If you really want to strip it try this (I have done this successfully and mine and other heads)

Prepare henna and let it sit overnight. In the morning add two tablespoons of sea salt to mixture put on hair and let sit for at least four hours. Clarify after rinsing out then use the most moisturizing dc you have and dc for at least an hour. You should have a lot more thickness back. If you want it completely gone you may have to do it again. Otherwise just let it wear off normally.
How should I prepare it, im still fairly new to henna. Right now i mixed 3/4 cup henna , tablespoon of water, some oil(africa's best), castor oil and mixed. <~~These are guestimations. After applying to my strands I put aussie moist(3 min. miracle) over the henna. I dont know, we'll see how it turns out.:ohwell:

Back