Bi-racial hair care

I don't know if you are familiar with naturallycurly.com but that may be a good site for both of you to check out. It feature great product recommendations and advise about caring for and styling all types of curly hair. The tips range from natural ways to reduce frizz and loosen curls to the best chemical and non-chemical straightening techniques. It is also full of very positive images curly hair and people who have leaned and are learning to love and accept their hair for what it is. It was a really big help for me when I was at my wits end with my hair. HTH:)

curlygirl493 said:
check out www.naturallycurly.com this should help a lot

I agree I was going to suggest this. They have a forum area too. Also get her the curly girl book. It may help with her mindset some. There is nothing wrong with her wanting a different look though, but you still need to invest in the proper products to do it without damaging her hair.

How long is her hair? I've never heard of 600.00 being quoted for a relaxer. Thats more than most car notes and some house payments. A new PC. Heck I can get a laptop for that amount. A NICE digital camera. Several outfits. Or my coveted treo 700wx.

ITA you've gotten very good advice fromt he ladies here.
You have to be careful with relaxers because even if your hair stays long and healthy 1 bad perm touch-up, or stylist can ruin it all in a couple of minutes. Also I forgot to say above that chemicals straighteners are not for everybody there's some of us here on the boards who's hair is "allergic" to relaxers, they cannot use relaxers, texturizers or perms at all b/c out hair just breaks, falls out, thinns out etc... even if its taken care of properly.
And Texturizers/relaxers are not the holy grail, don't get rid of frizz, or change the size of curl you have, ex: If you have Christina Milian type curls it won't change it to Sarah Jessica Parker type curls, it will just loosen what you already have, but if your hair is porous then not enough moisture is the problem and chemicals can't fix that.
ETA: The maxi glide and sedu or chi flat irons do a very good job at getting hair straight.

Last edited:
Can you post a photo of her hair or something close to her type. it might help to say if she needs a relaxer or straighting (japanes system). have you tried
pressing with flat iron?

Michellehall said:
JC Pennys wants $600 to straighten her hair and $200 every 6 to 9 weeks to maintain it. Other quotes have been very similar. Way out of my ball game. Otherwise, I think I would let her straighten it.

Definately shop around on that price! I'm mixed, have almost boob length hair..and it only cost me 60 the first time, unseen...and 55 to maintain whenever I decide to go in....

FAMUDva said:
WOW!:eek:
Do you guys not have any stand alone black hair salons near you? Typically they are using the SAME relaxing systems at JC Penny and charging WAY more... A stand alone stylist or a shops that are frequented by black women tend to charge between $40-70 for relaxers. Possibly more for the first relaxer on virgin hair, but definately not $600!

Where do you guys live?

ETA: the above are averages based on regular salons in my area. Of course there are upscale salons that charge a bit more.
We live in Chatworth, CA. But the problem is she has soooooooooooo much hair, very thick and long. Black hair salons want similar but they only want to talk about cutting it. We have not done much research on the perming because I really don't want to put the perm in it. It is tempting though.

There are some great suggestions here and she is smiling from ear to ear while we try to decide which idea to try first. There is so much here to decide from. You all are awesome.

Thanks so much.

camellia said:
I wish I had someone show me gorgeous women who loved their curls when I was that age. I am biracial like your step daughter and I also hated my hair as a teenager.I didn't know what to do with it, what products to use... Until I accepted that curly hair could be just as beautiful as straight hair, I had a really bad time with it. One of the best things you and her father can do for her is to re enforce how lovely her hair is just as it grows from her head. She will thank you when she's older.

Thanks for this. I appreicate the advice. She read your response and said "well, maybe when I get older I will like it, but right now, today, it ain't happening; keep reading". She is so funny and awesome.

Enchantmt said:
How long is her hair? I've never heard of 600.00 being quoted for a relaxer. Thats more than most car notes and some house payments. A new PC. Heck I can get a laptop for that amount. A NICE digital camera. Several outfits. Or my coveted treo 700wx.
Totally. I have never seen a JC Penny charge that much, somethhing ain't right over there. Y'all should check with another JCP! My friend goes to JCP on the regular and gets trim, relaxer and deep condition and pays $125.
(her myspace page, so you can see her hair http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=88766178)
I'm bi-racial and my hair is seriously thick (back when I did relax, I had one stylist look at my hair and turn me over to another stylist and the first person who braided my hair broke out in a sweat and had to take a break to shower off. Child, I am nooo stranger to a lot of thick, THICK hair!)
I would like to find one simple way to handle my multi-typed hair but so far it's just been a matter of me treating each hair type and just doing as little manipulation as possible!

Banding is a great suggestion.
You can also try drying her hair with a blow dryer while stretching the curls downwards. That lengthens and loosens the curls...

EMJazzy said:
OMG **faints** :eek:

Another suggestion would be to invest in the MaxiGlide...at the prices JCPenny wants that MaxiGlide will pay for itself quickly.
ITA....the maxiglide will get the hair as straight as a perm. Just make sure she uses a heat protectant and dosen't overdue it with the heat. I can straighten my hair with it and it will last for two weeks or until I decide to shampoo again.

ETA...the banding instructions are in my fotki along w/ pics (it's in the album "Another way to airdry"). I have curly hair too and trust me, your step daughter has many options. I have a lot of them in my album and you're welcome to pm me w/ any questions.

Last edited:
mermaid said:
Totally. I have never seen a JC Penny charge that much, somethhing ain't right over there. Y'all should check with another JCP! My friend goes to JCP on the regular and gets trim, relaxer and deep condition and pays $125.
(her myspace page, so you can see her hair http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=88766178)
I'm bi-racial and my hair is seriously thick (back when I did relax, I had one stylist look at my hair and turn me over to another stylist and the first person who braided my hair broke out in a sweat and had to take a break to shower off. Child, I am nooo stranger to a lot of thick, THICK hair!)
I would like to find one simple way to handle my multi-typed hair but so far it's just been a matter of me treating each hair type and just doing as little manipulation as possible!
I am beginning to think that quote was a 'get out of here' price because I want nothing to do with all that hair. :lachen: I could definately tell that the black stylist did not want to do her hair. But again, we have not done too much research in to the perm thing. Several of your comments have definalely talked us out of the perm option.

Michellehall said:
You are funny Jlove. We tried. She has girlfriends who wear then, but they won't fit her hair, way too thick. :ohwell: :grin:
Ohhhh, I get it now. You're the UPA clip lady. When I first read Jlove's post I was like whaaa:confused: ? lol...I'm slow:lol: .

Last edited:
I say introduce her to the world of daily conditioner washes and follow ups with a good curl activator or some other type of leave in conditioner. Also make sure she uses a good wide-toothed comb for detangling after washing and conditioning. HTH.

Pokahontas said:
Ohhhh, I get it now. You're the UPA clip lady. When I first read Jlove's post I was like whaaa:confused: ? lol...I'm slow:lol: .
I'm also slow. And then when I finally got it I'm like "but I thought they said it should fit on...".

If she's unhappy with her texture go ahead and do the relaxer thing. It works for some people, others it doesn't. I think if she tries some of the other options to control her curls she'll be much happier.

Also - I don't know what her texture is like, but relaxers did nothing for my 3b-ish hair. Only made it dry and brittle. It didn't actually even straighten it, and the places it did, it wasn't uniform. I get a much better result with my Chi and some heat glide than I ever did with any chemicals.

The price you got quoted from JcPenny sounded extra ridiculous and sounds more like Japanese Thermal Straightening, which, I'm almost sure is not recommended to people that don't have semi-straight hair. I have asian girlfriends that were told their hair wasn't the right texture for it, so I'd be weary of anyone offering it.

slap a relaxer on her hair and forgitaboutit. she hates her hair....after the relaxer damages it, she will see the light. :lachen:

curly hair is beautiful. she's 14 so introduce her to naturallycurly.com. Those people will make her love and accept her hair!

Curlee_lurker said:
I'm also slow. And then when I finally got it I'm like "but I thought they said it should fit on...".

If she's unhappy with her texture go ahead and do the relaxer thing. It works for some people, others it doesn't. I think if she tries some of the other options to control her curls she'll be much happier.

Also - I don't know what her texture is like, but relaxers did nothing for my 3b-ish hair. Only made it dry and brittle. It didn't actually even straighten it, and the places it did, it wasn't uniform. I get a much better result with my Chi and some heat glide than I ever did with any chemicals.

The price you got quoted from JcPenny sounded extra ridiculous and sounds more like Japanese Thermal Straightening, which, I'm almost sure is not recommended to people that don't have semi-straight hair. I have asian girlfriends that were told their hair wasn't the right texture for it, so I'd be weary of anyone offering it.

ITA my hairs 3C-ish, but relaxers only damaged my hair, and it was still curly and it still frizzed in humid wheather. I still had to blow dry or flat iron. And I can flat iron my natural hair and get it straight too, esp. fast with the maxiglide.

Last edited:
Pokahontas said:
ITA....the maxiglide will get the hair as straight as a perm. Just make sure she uses a heat protectant and dosen't overdue it with the heat. I can straighten my hair with it and it will last for two weeks or until I decide to shampoo again.

ETA...the banding instructions are in my fotki along w/ pics (it's in the album "Another way to airdry"). I have curly hair too and trust me, your step daughter has many options. I have a lot of them in my album and you're welcome to pm me w/ any questions.

Yepperz!!! I luv my MaxiGlide :Flahsssss - I dont use it on my hair but my daughters and sisters THICK hair both luuuuuuv it - i carry mine around cause i nevah know who will let me do thier hair...i alwayz ask friends and family (the onez i like :lachen:)

sweetascocoa said:
slap a relaxer on her hair and forgitaboutit. she hates her hair....after the relaxer damages it, she will see the light. :lachen:

curly hair is beautiful. she's 14 so introduce her to naturallycurly.com. Those people will make her love and accept her hair!
gangstaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :lachen:

I think natural hair is beautiful and that curly or kinky hair is just lovely but if in the end she still feels uncomfortable with it (after trying the wonderful advice you've gotten here so far), I would not rule out a relaxer done by a really good professional who is not trying to rob you. To me it is important that she be happy with how she looks. If it takes her years to embrace her natural hair that is okay. I wish you the best.

hopeful said:
I think natural hair is beautiful and that curly or kinky hair is just lovely but if in the end she still feels uncomfortable with it (after trying the wonderful advice you've gotten here so far), I would not rule out a relaxer done by a really good professional who is not trying to rob you. To me it is important that she be happy with how she looks. If it takes her years to embrace her natural hair that is okay. I wish you the best.

Great post and advice.:)

Please do not do the japanese straitening technique. It is not recommended for balck/ tightly curled hair and it has the potential to make you lose your hair. Your a good mother to try to help her take care of her hair. It is sad to say that most young people view strait hair as the standard of beauty. Her hair sounds so beautiful, but she prob won't appreciate it til she's much older. Good luck to you and your step daughter.:)

Curlee_lurker said:

Same here. Relaxers did nothing for my hair. It was still curly and I had to go through the same routine to get it straight as a relaxed head that I do now as a natural.

pinayprincess said:
this is a great thread! what does your daughter think?
This is wonderful help. You all are awesome and she/we really appreicate it all. I keep her very busy with school and extra activities so she does not have alot of time for her hair. So, we have printed all of the suggestions that sounded viable for us and will be looking at all of them during her holiday vacation coming up and deciding what to do. Based on your feedback, she did however definately decide not to perm her hair (thank you, thank you thank you).

We will post before and after pictures.

Thanks so much!

Pokahontas said:
Same here. Relaxers did nothing for my hair. It was still curly and I had to go through the same routine to get it straight as a relaxed head that I do now as a natural.
Same here.
The relaxer was a waste of time and money to do LESS for my hair than I can with natural hair. I gave up on those dumb things 11-12 years ago. :ohwell:

I'm biracial and can relate with your stepdaughter. My mom finally broke down and let me get a relaxer when I was around 13 (or 14?..hmm). Anyway my aunt took me to her trusted stylist who was Dominican and whose daughter had hair just like mine so she knew exactly how to work with it.(she was the first to instruct me to stretch my relaxers...she refused to do a retouch if it hadn't been 3 monthes).
I was amazed with the results! My hair was still curly but a more subdued curl that was much easier to maintain.
I've been relaxing ever since (I'm 29) except now I use phytospecific and have my mom do my retouches. My old stylist Maria no longer does hair and trying to go to other stylists have led to disastrous results! :perplexed

Many times I have considered going natural but my time and patience is short ( I resent the 7 minutes it takes to do my makeup!). Instead I make sure to use healthy products (like Aubrey and Aveda) as much as possible and keep my hair moisturized (not always consistent with this!). I do conditoning wash and go's (always let my curls airdry). Occasionally I'll do rollersets if the weather is less humid.

All in all, its a personal choice. Just wanted quickly share my experience.

Back