Do Bi Cultural people grow hair easier?

I agree that genetics plays a big part in hair growth/length but hair texture also plays a part. I have few 3c strands here and there, but have 4a/b mainly. My 4b hair actually grows faster than the 3c/4a strands but my hair is longer in the 3c/4a sections because of less breakage in those areas.
smirk.gif

Genetics is a trip, isn't it?

And I agree with what BC said about how genes might mix together to come up with the pheonotype of your hair texture. For instance, I don't know anyone in my family who has the hair texture that I do. In the family there is either straight or wavy hair or just straight up afro, kinky hair. However, my hair is like somewhere in the middle of the extremes but closer to the kinkier side.

Basically, with genetics you can't be sure of what you're going to get. That's why you shouldn't be too alarmed when two black parents with white ancestors from way back create a child that may come up with hazel or green eyes. The probability of that happening might be low but there is still a chance.

That's why I cannot understand why a black person will say that they want to marry a white person so that their kids can have straight, wavy, or mildly curly hair. Those kids' hair might still come out afro-textured.

Regarding growth, retention for looser textures is generally easier. But with tighter curled hair, you just need more patience and you REALLY have to love your hair!

-Ebony

Hey Ladies,

I believe that all hair grows approximately 1/2 inch a month. Not unless you are manipulating the health of your hair someway. (Through massages, internally, etc.) Then you may achieve excelerated growth as myself and others on this board have.
What I do believe as most have stated that hair grows at the same rate (in most cases) and because of the texture of the hair it appears as if the length is longer or shorter. Six inches of hair on type 4a (natural/tightly curl) may appear much shorter than six inches of hair on a looser type 2.
This is similar to our bodies. A person weighing the same and having the same height my look appear smaller if he/she haslean muscle,(tigher/smaller in width) than a non muscular person (untoned) he/she may appear wider or looser. This is similar to the hair.

It hard to explain

Bloosom when I stated "my husband is not Afro American of course I meant nothing by it. Just typing. Didn't really pay attention to it. Iuse this just to clarify Bi-cultural. Most people are familiar with the terminology Bi-racial. It was almost like a brief explanation of my choice of words.

4a/natural
medium texture
growing like crazy

[ QUOTE ]
BlackCardinal said:
Oh and also I should add that not every tribe in Africa has the same hair texture either so even if you knew that ALL of your ancestors were from various parts of Africa, you and your sibling might still have different hair types.:)

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this statement. Im from Africa and i have some relatives who have type 3a/b and they not mixed.

Back