Beware - Niacin Flush

JJamiah

Ladies who take Niacin BE Care ful, I am serious, I drank a protein shake today which contained 10mg's of it and took 2 vitamins which contained 70 mg's of it, let me tell you I didn't know what it was before (happened a few months ago I thought it was sun burn) but I got a severe itch and my skin turned red, it is called the Niacin flush, where i felt like some one was pricking my skin inside out with pins, it was so itchy and it last about 20 minutes, my legs, arms and neck were itching like crazy.

isn't that what you take to get marijuana out of your system? not that i would know....:look:

my SO said this happened to his mom. she had to go to the hospital.

That happened to me before and I never took them again. It was way too freaky; however, they sell Niacin that does not give you the "flush" effect.

^^^ Hubby did say I need to buy those, It was freaky, I thought I was allergic to the berries in the smoothie, I bought so many of these I need to finish them then I will do the flushless ones. I just wanted others to be aware because I didn't know for the longest what it was.

Truly thought it was sun burn, then hair spray then today I linked it to my smoothie and explained the symptoms to SO and he was like oh no you had the Niacin Flush after checking all my intake, he said your taking 400% of the daily recommended rate. :nono:

Yep, they give you the same warning when you drink the 5 hour energy shots because of the large amount of niacin in them.

This happened to me once when I took straight niacin...I had no idea my body would react like that, and I went to my friends' house, and in twenty minutes I turned red head to toe, my skin was on fire and SO itchy! I won't lie though, it was sorta funny...I put ice packs on my arms and my friends were rubbing cold water on me! I always wanted to maybe take it before I went to work so I could go home sick...

It went away after about 30 min...I think it's a pretty common reaction.

Back