Best protective styles for thinning edges - cast your votes !!!

What are the best protective styes for thinning edges?

• Weaves

Votes: 22 11.5%
  • Half-wigs

Votes: 34 17.7%
  • Full-wigs

Votes: 39 20.3%
  • Lace Fronts

Votes: 12 6.3%
  • Crochet Braids

Votes: 13 6.8%
  • Braids (pencil etc)

Votes: 10 5.2%
  • Box braids

Votes: 17 8.9%
  • Twists

Votes: 62 32.3%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 46 24.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Vintageglam

Okay ladies you know what to do - just hit the button. Also this is a multi-poll so you can vote for more than 1 option.

Also please bare in mind I have a TWA hence the choice of options. I also need professional styles I can incorporate into my work life.

TIA :grin:

I said weaves, as in full head weaves, provided the base is not braided tightly. The edges can be left out under the hair and moisturized without the strain. Twists without extensions are also good. I would never advocate a lace front for thinning edges, and all the other options to me have a margin for further damage if done too tightly. Except wigs, which may rub on the hairline with the wig cap.

I have a very delicate hairline and during the 1st half of my transition it broke really badly. I'm really concentrating on moisturising this area. I'm using WGO and/or coconut oil. I'm also wearing a half wig which leaves the hairline out and there is no friction there.

I have to say twists are. Just make sure you pin them up... loosely. :look: All those other styles come with too much potential hazard, especially if you don't do them yourself or you don't like the look of leaving them out loosely & untouched. Some people experience problems from half-wigs rubbing on their edges and from wearing a cap underneath full wigs.

If you truly have a TWA, the best thing by far is to leave it alone and wear it as a little afro. Protecting your ends isn't really as crucial at this stage, and you can pretty much leave your edges alone with that style. The TWA is always an opportunity to get things right.

Before reading I voted other. Use a gentle Gel to lay down or define the curl of the hair on the edges.

Then I read your post. I still have the same opinion. You don't want to put any tension on your edges while you grow them out. JMHO

OP, this is a great question...I voted, wigs. In my opinion, the edges can be moisturized and covered with a silk or satin strip, *then* covered with the wig cap, just so that the wig cap does not come in contact with the already thin edges.

For ladies that voted half wig, my question is...if your edges are already thin and you need hair to cover the area where the half wig starts, how does this help?

If you are already thin (not enough hair) around the edges how is the 1/2 wig covered / blended as to not detect that it is, in fact, a half wig?

OP, this is a great question...I voted, wigs. In my opinion, the edges can be moisturized and covered with a silk or satin strip, *then* covered with the wig cap, just so that the wig cap does not come in contact with the already thin edges.

For ladies that voted half wig, my question is...if your edges are already thin and you need hair to cover the area where the half wig starts, how does this help?

If you are already thin (not enough hair) around the edges how is the 1/2 wig covered / blended as to not detect that it is, in fact, a half wig?

Thank-you for your post - this is just my problem.

Braids ripped out my edges.

Weaves put tension on my edges.

I have also noticed recently that wigs and half-wigs are rubbing on my scalp at the points of contact. just behind my hair-line where I was trying to avoid contact so I am at a loss as to what to do :perplexed: Hence the poll.

And yes my edges are so thin that I am concious of showing them and blending is a nightmare with half wigs.

This is why I am interested in Crochet braids bc I think the loosely braided cornrows with hair crocheted pulled through them will allow me to camouflage and put less tension on my edges and look professional when I need to.

Help people :perplexed:

I'm wearing a half wig and i wear a satin cap underneath. My hair is pulled back straight underneath and i put alot of moisturiser on my hairline. The wig is about 2 inches from the hairline and i place a silky band on to hide the edge of the wig.

To be honest i've only been wearing one for the past week and you may be right. I may be causing more harm in the long run.

Time to re-think things perhaps.

i'll have to say wigs. i'm not a big fan of wigs, but I have to give credit where it's due. they really are edge savers. i also chose other because buns done correctly are far easier on the edges than braids, twists, and weaves imo

I love crochet braids, I do them myself my edges are also very fragile so I do all my crotchet braidstyles myself. I dont braid tight but firmly I also dont do the the canerows going all back as that will put too much tension on my edges I also make sure that the hair i feed through is not too heavy (small amounts). Crotchets also allow me to moisturise my edges daily.:afro:

This is why I am interested in Crochet braids bc I think the loosely braided cornrows with hair crocheted pulled through them will allow me to camouflage and put less tension on my edges and look professional when I need to.

Help people :perplexed:

Thank-you for your post - this is just my problem.

This is why I am interested in Crochet braids bc I think the loosely braided cornrows with hair crocheted pulled through them will allow me to camouflage and put less tension on my edges and look professional when I need to. Help people :perplexed:

I voted crochet braids cuz you can wear so many different curl patterns with them and its inexpensive, you can do it yourself and ... there is less stress around your actual edges but they are covered. You may choose to leave your edges out to moisturize or treat them. The only drawback is if the wind blows your edges will be exposed and you can't wear your hair up. I think that they are a stylish option!

I am in the same boat, PositivelyRadiant!

I was wearing wigs, but I think with the weather heating up, twists may be the way to go. Plus, wearing twists will make it easier to massage my scalp and add my growth treatment. I can get lazy about that when I'm wigging it.

I say full weaves with a swipe, or china cut bang. Egdes out. You can always treat you edges with this style with no worries and tension.

For me personally, box braids and twists (with extensions) works best for. I always make sure that they are not too tight. I tend leave my edges out and smooth down with gel or oil.

I'd have to say wigs are the only logical option to ME. It's the one style where all of your hair can be protected at the same time without stress on the edges. Braids, twists, and even my fav, weaves, can put stress on the edges, especially dealing with mediocre stylists.

How do you keep the wig cap from shifting off the silk/satin? I can't seem to make it work. Thanks.

I voted other. If you have a TWA I'd say wash & go and leave her be. I wouldn't pull, style, braid, cover with wigs or gel down, a thinning/fragile hairline. All you would be doing is putting more stress on an already stressed area.

I have no idea. I just wanted to congratulate you on BCing!! :yay:
When did you do that?! How come you ain't tell nobody?!

Where da pitchas?!
So many questions!! :lachen:

I agree with Junebug. The best thing for thinning edges is to leave them alone other than to make sure they stay moisturized. The less you mess with them the better.

I think all of those options can either really help or cause more problems depending if they are done right or wrong.
The best option is to just leaving your edges out of a given style. It might not look as neat but it will help to maintain or regrow your edges. This blog post from Happy Girl Hair might be helpful: The Basics: Protecting the Delicate Hairline.
I plan to do this as well but will slick down my edges with water and a good product (haven't experimented yet) to still have a professional fresh looking style. My hairline is very fine and delicate that simply a gentle tug will pull hair out so putting any kind of tension on that hair isn't even an option for me at all.

Right now I have been wearing wigs or lace fronts and haven't had a problem but I need to get a satin wig cap or scarf to avoid any future problems.

Because my edges were ruined from a weave, I would not pick that option at all. What worked for me was leaving my hair alone. If you have a TWA, moisturize you hair, massage your scalp daily and leave it alone. Avoid heat as much as possible. Wear some gorgeous earrings and a big smile.

As my hair grew, my edges returned. Good luck.

How do you keep the wig cap from shifting off the silk/satin? I can't seem to make it work. Thanks.

The way I do it is I use a doo rag....you know the kind guys use to create waves..which only works if you actually have waves but I digress..since it has strings to tie to keep it in place I use it because you can wrap the strings around the entire head without adding bulk. I then place the wig on and bobby pin accordingly...I never put bobby pins in the exact same place too much just because I don't want to stress my hair at any level...it seems to work for me...I haven't experienced any issues thus far

I think the answer depends on how :armyhat: you are about making sure your leave-out hair and edges match precisely with the texture of the half wig. Personally, I'm not all that concerned about it. I moisten my edges and leave-out area with a mixture of infusium, aloe vera and braid spray that is diluted with water. Then I apply a bit of conditioner, usually Aussie 3 min. I brush with my boar bristle brush and tie down with a scarf. After a few minutes, the hair is pretty much dry and pretty much straight. Then I pin on my half wig and slide a headband on so that it covers almost all of the leave-out hair and butts up against the edge of the half wig. Only my edges are showing. I have no problems with my hairline from doing this.

Now, there are some girls who feel compelled to blow fry, rollerset and THEN flat iron the hairline/leave-out, just to blend with the wig. If you are doing all of that on a regular basis :nono: Your hairline is gonna get beat up.

My mom is suffering from this right now. She wears her hair in 2 french braids, and puts the ends into a bun. She adds synthetic hair into it to that the braids took fuller. It looks really good. The she moisturizes and adds JBCO to her edges. They have come in really good and its only been like 1 month.

Back