Best protective styles for thinning edges - cast your votes !!!

What are the best protective styes for thinning edges?

• Weaves

Votes: 22 11.5%
  • Half-wigs

Votes: 34 17.7%
  • Full-wigs

Votes: 39 20.3%
  • Lace Fronts

Votes: 12 6.3%
  • Crochet Braids

Votes: 13 6.8%
  • Braids (pencil etc)

Votes: 10 5.2%
  • Box braids

Votes: 17 8.9%
  • Twists

Votes: 62 32.3%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 46 24.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I voted half wigs and weaves i would leave a little of my edges out so that nothing
pulls on your hair avoid styles you have to brush back tightly give that area extra moisture and seal it in with a protein like advocado oil

Before reading I voted other. Use a gentle Gel to lay down or define the curl of the hair on the edges.
Then I read your post. I still have the same opinion. You don't want to put any tension on your edges while you grow them out. JMHO

I agree with this. I have a half wig but i am uncertain about the combs used in them. My hair grew the most when it was in a high puff which I used as a PS. I co-washed, sealed with castor (on edges and ends) then added Fantasia IC gel, knee high sock to close, scarf to lay down hair and Voila! nice, unpulled edges. I would take it down and re do it/ moisturize the puff every few days but my hair loved being left alone. At night, I just tied the scarf around my hair. morning- moisturized and added a bit more gel. HTH

I would wear buns with a part in the middle and used the side to cover my thin edges. This as my transitioning style. Feel free to view my fotki.

^^^ Yep that's what i have been doing for over a year now Zuleika and its worked great. Summer is here now and I am working out more and so the sweated out wig look is not hot :lol:. I left bikram the other day looking a hot mess :lachen:

Vintageglam

I Voted "Wig" I PS all Summer last year and you can actually make it work even in the heat. I was doubtful (at first) but it worked.

I spritzed my Hair every a.m., Moisturized and Sealed and I wore a Netted Wig Cap (similar to fish net hose). It worked very well and I made it through the Summer Heat.

Fall/Winter I wear a Men's Satin Du-Rag w/the back Flipped Up and tied. It allows me to lock Moisture In and it also works very well. I'll start off the Summer Season with this and if it gets too intense, I'll pull out the Netted Cap.

I voted twists and half wigs, as both of those put very little if any stress on the edges. I'd avoid anything that will pull or rub against your hairline.

I voted for Full Wig without reading the thread. After I saw the trouble you went through with the Wig and your edges, I would vote for Twists as not to put excessive pressure on your hair and wear half wigs.

I chose weaves and 1/2 wigs. I think anything that keeps stress off of your edges (and keeping them moisturized as said earlier) helps a lot.

I was having some issues with my right side, but I've been weaving it (and bunning occassionally) while babying my edges. That side is filling back in nicely.
Full wigs and lace fronts totally set me back.

I tend to have more breakage on the ends vs thinning in my edges but I vote for twists or any other low manipulation, low tension and low friction style.

I tend to have more breakage on the ends vs thinning in my edges but I vote for twists or any other low manipulation, low tension and low friction style.

Cosign on this entire post; me, too. :yep: I suffered from thinned edges after braids but they've completely grown back. Twists are, to me, the perfect low tension, low friction style as aptly stated by biancaelyse. :yep:

I honestly think the best thing to do is leave the hair alone and just massage with a blend of essential and carrier oils every night but if you absolutely must PS, then probably a wig with your hair loosely corn rowed underneath. Goodluck! :)

I answered twists and "other", but I fortunately never had this problem.
I think whatever is very loose and puts little tension on your hair is good.
I would consider wearing the hair down or in a very loose braid.

I would recommend doing nothing but giving it time. This may not be applicable to you though, sorry hun.

I suppose it depends on circumstances. Shortly after I had my first child I put in a weave and its was sooo tight. I took it out and my edges were bald, as smooth as a baby's bum. At the time I had no hair no knowledge but I swore never to wear extensions. I came to the board very shortly after and a few years later, say about 3-4yrs in total and they filled in and lengthened very nicely from doing absolutely nothing.

Baby no 2 has come and the edges have thinned from postpartum shedding. I have put 2 and 2 together and realised my first experience must have been a combination of tight weave and post partum shedding. My edges are extremely tender at the moment due to hormoes I expect. I now know I shed like crazy and am still going through it, 5 months post partum :-(. Thank fully this time it is only thinning and NOT baldness and I am hoping that just a little time will tell again. I just moisturise my hair with extra virgin coconut oil/evoo and rose water

Sorry for long post, but yeh, time worked for me and no style in particular. I am a bunner. I try to make sure my bun is not too tight though.

Last edited:
half wigs and don't use all the combs and don't sleep in them. I also did braids and I don't wear ponytails when I am in braids I only wear my hair down so that there is no stress on the hairline.

Looks like I've been tagged for my opinion.
I would say that any style that requires low manipulation and doesn't pull on the hair/edges would help to remedy the problem and cause further thinning (dependent on the cause of the thinning).
I would avoid tight braids, weaves and ponytails and extensions/braids that weigh down the hair, especially when hair at the hairline is more fragile.
I would suggest no manipulation styles like wigs (where the hair is left in plaits/looser cornrows for a periodic time or low manipulation styles such as braid outs and looser buns or updo's.

Back