• Thermasilk

Votes: 18 3.9%
  • Biosilk

Votes: 46 9.9%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 176 37.7%

• Total voters

NewYorkgyrl

What do you think is the best heat protectant and why? Please explain (i.e light on the hair, smells good, leaves hair really straight, etc...)

For those that choose other, please list your favorite.

I have only been using one....Style Revival Heat Manager and its okay....though I do not use heat often.

When I was relaxed, I know I used to use Thermasilk products, but I wasn't too crazy about it and I still have those products fom a few years ago...nearly full bottles.

I don't use heat too often but, I've only used Ion Anti Frizz Solution, its pretty good its not too heavy it keeps my hair straight & prevents frizz, its definitely a keeper! :up:

TCB bone straight blow out conditioner. Because it detangles and feels like it coats the strands. I haven't used anything else tho.....cuz I love it. Worked great with my relaxed hair too.

Has anyone ever tried Kiehl's Heat-Protective Silk-Straightening Cream? It looks really good.

578_L.jpg

*'For Smoothing Hair and Super-Straight Styles'
*With Silk Powders and Soy Bean Extract
*Ideal for all hair styles
*Not tested on animals

Formulated especially for wavy, frizzy, or curly hair in need of smoothing, our unique straightening cream contains a blend of natural ingredients to help straighten out hair and tame frizz without weighing hair down. Infused with extracts derived from Soy Beans, Sesame Seeds and Sunflower Seeds, this unique formulation locks out humidity while conditioning and protecting hair from over-drying and breakage. Light and greaseless, our straightening cream gives hair an ultra-straight and silky-smooth look with incredible shine.

Last edited:
I really like the Fantasia IC serum...it's light, leaves my hair very shiny/smooth, and it smells like watermelon!!!:)

a138f645-65bf-d230-49ea-f52d3007cd38.jpg

The only heat protection I've used is 911 Heat Priotction. It was cheap and cheerful so I gave it a try.
Although its not the best for getting hair straight, when you spray it on, and then blow-dry the hair dries soooooo quickly, thus eliminating too much heat which = damage.

Now if only it had straightening properties too.....

My vote stays with Keracare Foam Wrap Set Lotion. Yesterday, I got a confirmation. I was in Beauty 35 in NYC. Saw this girl with incredible 4a hair. I followed her to the cashier just to see what she used and there it was KeraCare Foam Wrap Set Lotion. It is worth $14.99.

Beyond the Zone Turn up the Heat....$6.99 at Sallys....but use it sparingly!!!
Spray on after drying hair but b-4 flat ironing/curling. (Sometimes I just skip the iron and just curl it...lazy!)
I like to use 1/2 squirt per part of hair being flat ironed. Everytime I part, I 1/2 squirt, comb thru and iron.
Love the smell (like berries and candy), now weigh down, high shine. DOesn't leave hair oily
Great stuff!

I chose other: pm super skinny serum (used on damp hair), smells lovely like watermelon & dudley's creme press (used before flat ironing) adds sheen and softness.

Hey ladies help me out, im gonna flat iron to track my progress, its been 3 months and i have just purchased Redken Heat glide. How should i use this to get the best results?

As i don't shampoo anymore, should i apply after CW while wet, and airdry/blowdry/hood dry?

Use it while your hair is wet.

I have used Silken Seal to airdry and then flat-iron, but with the Redken I only blowdried.

The flat iron worked better when I lower the temp a bit and slowly concentrated on flattening.

I have about 1/2 inch of new growth and I feel like I just got a relaxer.

Does CWing get your hair really clean? I cannot get good results unless my hair is really clean and free from product accept the Heat Glide or Silken Seal.

I use clarifying shampoo or 1st Lather before all washes and I have never CW.

Great suggestions ladies! Can any of these products be used to blowdry? It seems like most have said they use them for flat ironing.

MizAvalon said:
Great suggestions ladies! Can any of these products be used to blowdry? It seems like most have said they use them for flat ironing.

I use mine for blowdrying and flat-ironing. I put it on my hair while it is wet, blowdry and then flatiron w/o any additional product.

I just recently tried Thermasilk for the first time on a whim and I was very happy with the results; nice, soft, straight, swingy hair (Pics of the result in my Fotki)!
Before I used that, I used a rinse out conditioner (Dove, Herbal Essence, Pantene R&N-whatever) mixed with Proclaim natural 7 oil.

I chose "other". I use Aveda Brilliant Damage control. If I wrap and airdry I spray some before I wrap it and also once I take it out because I tend to blowdry my wraps after (bad habit I know) I also use Aveda Brilliant Finishing Gloss or the Light Elements Smoothing fluid, they provide some heat protection and alot of lightweight slip (especially the smoothing fluid) I have been using them for over a year with this same method and am yet to see a split end or any thinning.

Hey y'all! I voted for "other"...

I just started MaxiGliding my hair (it just got long enough to even consider doing this) so I wash and deep condition, air dry overnite with Surge Plus 14 or Motions Leave-in Spray, WGO on the scalp and Woojee Creme mainly on the ends (I haven't mastered blow drying yet... any assistance on that process would be appreciated!). The next day, I apply Rusk Thermal Str8 Protective Styling Creme (yellow pump), You Straight Thermal Straightening Creme (red jar) and Smooth and Shine Silk 'n Sleek Straightening Polish mixed together in my palms to duplicate the MaxiGlide "cocktail" and apply to over my whole head. Then, on each section of hair, prior to swiping with the MaxiGlide, I apply, again the Rusk Creme - don't ask me why this overprotectiveness but this was one of the few times I've applied heat to my hair in nearly a year (for a total of 3) so I'm trying to be extra careful.

Now, I'm sure there is a more efficient way to do this... Especially the blow-dry part and I'm confident y'all will PM me with 411. That's why I love y'all!!!:)

Back