Best flat iron for natural 4A/B hair

i use GHD straigteners. they are real hot! But when i want something a bit more controlled i use my Babyliss Relax and Shine. Its supposed to be made for afro hair and it has a water attachment for steam.

I'm thinking of getting the solia flat iron for my natural hair. I hope it works alright -I was considering either the sedu or solia because of all the great reviews on folica.com and also because of the detailed temp setting that you can use.

simplycee said:
Maxiglide, hands down!

Simplycee, are you able to get close to your scalp with the maxi glide?

Do you think it is better for people with long hair?

Linen & Things has it for $80 and I have 20% coupon. I would like to get it for a family member but they have short relaxed hair.

Thanks

simplycee said:
Maxiglide, hands down!

I cant stress this enough. She took the words right outta my mouth. My daughter has a full head of hair bsl. I used it on her hair and it slipped right thru. This thing works miacles!!

where can i get this maxiglide? i am in London and want to try this thing out.
Any websites or stores that ship to UK? :confused:

Good question. I've also been eyeing the Maxiglide. I wonder if the Babybliss relax n shine is similar to the Maxiglide, but without the "grooves". I think the steam would be good for natural hair. I'm not sure how it would work on my relaxed hair.

caligirl said:
@Simplycee:

How does the Maxiglide NOT pull your hair out?

Sorry it took me awhile to get back to you. I section my hair first and comb thru with my bone comb (important to do so it doesn't pull your hair), then I steam the last 2 inches of my hair to soften it and then start at the top and do the entire section. I also use thin but wide sections (hope this makes sense). Finally the good thing about the maxiglide is that you don't have to press and hold it closed like a regular flat iron. You have to let it glide over your hair, unlike a regular flat iron where you press it closed and hold it like that on the length of the section.

lkg4healthyhair said:

Linen & Things has it for $80 and I have 20% coupon. I would like to get it for a family member but they have short relaxed hair.

Thanks

I get close to my scalp because I use wide but thinner sections. The maxiglide plates are kinda wide. I used it on my mom's hair and her hair is above shoulder length. The only thing that might make it difficult for shorter hair is trying to get the bend at the ends. When I did my mom's hair I rolled and used a 2 pronged clip on each section as I did it. I just found out last week they have a miniglide. I think that's smaller than the maxiglide.

I wish I knew about Linen's and Things when I got mine. I ordered it online.

I use it on my daughters natural, thick 4a hair and it looks like she has a press and curl. Her hair never smells burnt, the steam softens her hair and I only use it on level 4 for her hair. Best $80 bucks I spent on a hair item.

I'm not completely natural, but next month will make it a year since my last relaxer and I love my maxiglide! I have 4a/4b hair.

i am starting to love my maxiglide but keep wondering how often i should use it on my natural 4a/b hair because i love the way it looks bf said did you get a perm :)

I just order a maxiglide because of all the talk around this board of how wonderful it is. I order mine from one of the home shopping networks.

simplycee said:
I get close to my scalp because I use wide but thinner sections. The maxiglide plates are kinda wide. I used it on my mom's hair and her hair is above shoulder length. The only thing that might make it difficult for shorter hair is trying to get the bend at the ends. When I did my mom's hair I rolled and used a 2 pronged clip on each section as I did it. I just found out last week they have a miniglide. I think that's smaller than the maxiglide.

I wish I knew about Linen's and Things when I got mine. I ordered it online.

I use it on my daughters natural, thick 4a hair and it looks like she has a press and curl. Her hair never smells burnt, the steam softens her hair and I only use it on level 4 for her hair. Best $80 bucks I spent on a hair item.

Wow- now I'm thinking of getting the maxiglide!--SimplyCee- with your daughter's hair do you blow dry or roller set it first to get it semi straight? I am also just so skeptical about it being so wide. But your method makes sense.

kinchen said:
i am starting to love my maxiglide but keep wondering how often i should use it on my natural 4a/b hair because i love the way it looks bf said did you get a perm :)
WoW! I jus looked at your pics and it looks straight-up Oprahish! That was done with a Maxiglide? It came out beautiful!!!!!!!!!! :D

kinchen said:

Wow Kinchen! Your hair looks so healthy you have about persuaded me to get the maxiglide...

sorry ladies that was my blowout by the egyptians on the 4th of July i will update this weekend my camara is full but the maxiglide gets it close to that with out all the extreme heat and pulling they do and i can get close to that look for FREE

Awh man! LOL It still looks pretty. Any other NATURAL 4a/b's have pics of their hair flat ironed? I'm really curious now!

lkg4healthyhair said:

Thanks

Thank you so much! I was looking for a place that may have it local so I wouldn't have to order it. I am so excited! Thanks!

You can also purchase the Maxiglide at Bed Bath & Beyond for $80.00. I know that they have "20% off one item" coupons too. If you get it online from Linens & Things here is a 20% off coupon code you can use: 919001281823. When you purchase it online from them, you have the option of going to pick it up from your local store, so you do not need to pay shipping and handling.:)

Also, I know that Bed Bath & Beyond takes LNT coupons; I am not sure if the reverse is true though it would make sense if it was.

Last edited:
Naturals who flat Ironed their hair. Did your napps pop back?

I want to switch up my style, but I don't want to loose my naps? I haven't used heat on my head in like 8 months. SCARRREED!!!

I was looking at someone's album last night... and they used a Sedu... their hair looked really really good. I wanna say its Angellazette... but I could be wrong.

TrustMeLove said:
Naturals who flat Ironed their hair. Did your napps pop back?

I want to switch up my style, but I don't want to loose my naps? I haven't used heat on my head in like 8 months. SCARRREED!!!

I flat ironed my hair two weeks ago and my curls came back.

kinchen said:

Are the last few pictures in your album the results of Maxiglide? If so, wow!!

Back