Beach Hair!

JewelleNY

Hi ladies:)

I plan to really hit the beach and pools this summer and I want to not feel the stress of what to do with my hair:nono: :lol:

What do you ladies do when you go swimming? I will be in South Beach next week and I want to be prepared. Plus, my sis has a pool at her complex and I want to be able to go from the pool to the mall and look CUTE!:lol:

I know this is probably a major no-no (lol), but when i went to Aruba i swam in the ocean every day with my hair out.

After swimming, i immedietely went back to my hotel room, con-washed with Suave Milk and Honey, put BT on my scalp and S-curl in my strands, and then formed one single braid/bun. So during the day i wore my hair either in a braid/bun or in a braid-out (it was curly because of the braid), and in the pool i just swam with it out.

I had originally planned to get cornrows for my trip, but at the last minute i changed my mind.............. i just dont feel as confident/attractive with braids. So in the end, i chose preserving my sexy over ultimate hair health. :perplexed

Ultimately, my hair was just fine and i dont think i did any kind of damage by swimming with it out. I think the fact that i con-washed, then moisturized, immedietely after each swim is what helped keep it safe.

Last edited:
Hey Jewelle!

I just came back from South Beach after spending two weeks there {whew} and I can tell you ITS HOT THERE! I kept conditioner in my hair all the time I was in the pool or the beach. My hiar still turned blond in some areas anyway. I can't complain cause it looks kinda cute that my hair is lighter than usual.

I did wear lots of protective styles with cute hiar accessories. With my beautiful tan, dresses and hair accessories...you couldn't tell me nothing.....my dh kept looking at me and smiling....had a great time there!!!

My son lives in South Beach and works there. He's on vacation now so we had a blast!

Bring lots of money to eat out....it can get expensive. I did cook once at his apartment though but after that, it was restaurants baby....I was on vacation...lol.
Oh and try to go to the Viscaya Mansion...it was awesome!!!

Hope you have a great time!

N&W

JewelleNY said:
Hi ladies:)

I plan to really hit the beach and pools this summer and I want to not feel the stress of what to do with my hair:nono: :lol:

What do you ladies do when you go swimming? I will be in South Beach next week and I want to be prepared. Plus, my sis has a pool at her complex and I want to be able to go from the pool to the mall and look CUTE!:lol:

KiniKakes said:
I know this is probably a major no-no (lol), but when i went to Aruba i swam in the ocean every day with my hair out.

After swimming, i immedietely went back to my hotel room, con-washed with Suave Milk and Honey, put BT on my scalp and S-curl in my strands, and then formed one single braid/bun. So during the day i wore my hair either in a braid/bun or in a braid-out (it was curly because of the braid), and in the pool i just swam with it out.

I had originally planned to get cornrows, but at the last minute i changed my mind.............. i just dont feel as confident/attractive with braids. So in the end, i chose preserving my sexy over ultimate hair health. :perplexed Ultimately, my hair was just fine and i dont think i did any kind of damage by swimming with it out. I think the fact that i con-washed, then moisturized, immedietely after each swim is what helped keep it safe.
Thanks Kini, this is what I would like to do, I usually wear braids but I wanted to try something different. I am going to pack tons of moisturizers and try the braid:)

Nice & Wavy said:
Hey Jewelle!

I just came back from South Beach after spending two weeks there {whew} and I can tell you ITS HOT THERE! I kept conditioner in my hair all the time I was in the pool or the beach. My hiar still turned blond in some areas anyway. I can't complain cause it looks kinda cute that my hair is lighter than usual.

I did wear lots of protective styles with cute hiar accessories. With my beautiful tan, dresses and hair accessories...you couldn't tell me nothing.....my dh kept looking at me and smiling....had a great time there!!!

My son lives in South Beach and works there. He's on vacation now so we had a blast!

Bring lots of money to eat out....it can get expensive. I did cook once at his apartment though but after that, it was restaurants baby....I was on vacation...lol.
Oh and try to go to the Viscaya Mansion...it was awesome!!!

Hope you have a great time!

N&W
Hi Nice and Wavy,
I would love for my hair to turn blondish, natural highlights are the best:cool: I love SB, I've lived there before but I was wearing mostly braids back then which made swimming easy:)
I think I have this fear of having cute wet hair but some freaky puff ball once it dries while I'm tanning :eek: :lol:

Oh, and I love Vizcaya, I go all the time, it is so beautiful, wish i could get married there one day:)

JewelleNY said:
Thanks Kini, this is what I would like to do, I usually wear braids but I wanted to try something different. I am going to pack tons of moisturizers and try the braid:)

Right! That's me too. I ALWAYS get braids when i go to the beach/pool/vacation..... but this time i wanted to enjoy my hair out. Of course, i knew it wouldnt last beyond my first swim........... but i came prepared with all my hair supplies, and so i was able to make it look decent for the entire trip. And because i wore it in the braid or braid out, i didnt have to comb it at all. So it was a win-win.

Natural highlights are the best!

I didn't know that you lived in SB before. Viscaya is awesome...while we were there, there was an engagement party being prepared and it was so pretty with all the flowers and stuff.

JewelleNY said:
Hi Nice and Wavy,
I would love for my hair to turn blondish, natural highlights are the best:cool: I love SB, I've lived there before but I was wearing mostly braids back then which made swimming easy:)
I think I have this fear of having cute wet hair but some freaky puff ball once it dries while I'm tanning :eek: :lol:

Oh, and I love Vizcaya, I go all the time, it is so beautiful, wish i could get married there one day:)

KiniKakes said:

I had originally planned to get cornrows for my trip, but at the last minute i changed my mind.............. i just dont feel as confident/attractive with braids. So in the end, i chose preserving my sexy over ultimate hair health. :perplexed

Ultimately, my hair was just fine and i dont think i did any kind of damage by swimming with it out. I think the fact that i con-washed, then moisturized, immedietely after each swim is what helped keep it safe.

What a cool beach regimen! I'm planning on going to Jamaica this summer, and although I considered getting braids, I'll just be wearing my own hair down too. I thinking of packing a bottle of Mane N Tail conditioner in my suitcase (don't no body take my conditioner from me!) and I'll co-wash and use it as a leave-in and protectant for my hair. :beach:

Hey Priestess...where in Jamaica are you going too?

Last year Sept, right after I did the BC, my dh and I went to Nigril and Montego Bay....we stay at the Sunset Resort in Montego Bay.

Have fun!

Priestess said:
What a cool beach regimen! I'm planning on going to Jamaica this summer, and although I considered getting braids, I'll just be wearing my own hair down too. I thinking of packing a bottle of Mane N Tail conditioner in my suitcase (don't no body take my conditioner from me!) and I'll co-wash and use it as a leave-in and protectant for my hair. :beach:

Nice & Wavy said:
Hey Priestess...where in Jamaica are you going too?

Last year Sept, right after I did the BC, my dh and I went to Nigril and Montego Bay....we stay at the Sunset Resort in Montego Bay.

Have fun!

We're going to Negril too! That's so cool you went there, I'll send you a pm girl! :grin:

I just slather conditioner all through my hair before swimming. Sometime I wear it in two braids, sometimes I wear it up. Very rarely do I wear my hair loose while swimming.

I wash my hair afterward.

My hair and water do not mix. I went to San Diego this weekend and only lay on the beach. I made the mistake of doing my hair the day before we arrived. By the time we left the beach my hair was a ginormous poofball of frizz and I don't know what. I would say just pin it up in a cute style and be done with it, or do a sexy pony with a side part, or make a pretty and wild bun of some sort (something with some pretty waves and volume).

Edited to add: My hair pretty much started out like the pic at the bottom and ended up like the pic at the top!

camellia said:
I just slather conditioner all through my hair before swimming. Sometime I wear it in two braids, sometimes I wear it up. Very rarely do I wear my hair loose while swimming.

I wash my hair afterward.

I wet my hair or put conditioner in my hair before I get in the water. I felt that it helped the whole time I was in Mexico and if I was out in the sun for too long, i'd put a towel over my head. I never swam with scrunci's in my hair or bobby pins because I felt it caused too much damaged.

I always airdried or if I was in a rus 'd blowdry the crwon since it dries the slowest..HTH

Back