Bantu Knot Set

jainygirl

How do you do this set, i've never done Bantu knots and would like to try this type of set. is it best to do right after a touchup or can i do it before my next touchup. My hair is 4a/b and i'm not sure of the length right now because of shrinkage ( 9.5 weeks post relaxer) but it's basically brastrap length. any advice how to best achieve this on my hair type is greatly appreciated
smile.gif
TIA jainygirl

that's the only style i've been sporting lately. I'm into my 8th week into my relaxer and my husband absolutely loves the curly/wavy look. I don't like the really tight look, so on my wash day I wash, condition and add my leave ins and dry it with the ponytail method. once it's dry, just before bed, I mosturize it again and divide the hair in 4 to 6 sections. I then twist each section into a little bun and secure it with a little crunchy.I cover my head with a scarf and when I get up, i just separate the curls with my fingers and voila! beautiful curls without any heat and without rollers.
Wildflower

wow, sounds way easier than i thought
smile.gif
thanks so much, i'm trying this one out tomorrow night
trampoline.gif
-- jainygirl

It is relly very easy what I still haven't mastered is how to do set it wet without the ends getting all marked with the scrunchy, that's why I do it with dry hair, just moistened with my favorite leave in. I use curl activator. just make sure the scrunchy is just securing the knots, very loosely so as not to mark the hair.

Wildflower, your hair looks great!! I put Bantu knots in last night, and I can't wait to take them out to see how they look!

I have read many of the threads on this, but I still have 2 questions:
1) If I don't use a hood-dryer, how long does it take to dry? My knots have been in for 12 hours.

2) Do you do 2-stranded twists or use a single strand? I used a single strand last night and kept twisting until it twisted back on itself. I just wonder if this is too much stress on the hair?

TIA!!!!

[ QUOTE ]
L.Mo. said:
Wildflower, your hair looks great!! I put Bantu knots in last night, and I can't wait to take them out to see how they look!

I have read many of the threads on this, but I still have 2 questions:
1) If I don't use a hood-dryer, how long does it take to dry? My knots have been in for 12 hours.

2) Do you do 2-stranded twists or use a single strand? I used a single strand last night and kept twisting until it twisted back on itself. I just wonder if this is too much stress on the hair?

TIA!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not Wildflower, but here goes:

1)I would leave mine in overnight and when I woke up they were still a little damp so I don't know how long it takes to dry, but I would take one down to see how damp it is. You might want to let them down to dry the rest of the way because if you let them completely dry in the knots the curls may be tighter than you'd like.

2. Just do a single strand twist like you're making little buns. I don't really think it's that stressful to the hair
smile.gif

HTH

i wanna do this, but i bet it would take my hair 2-3 days to dry lol..unless i get under a dryer. im gonna try it soon though

[ QUOTE ]
Irresistible said:
i wanna do this, but i bet it would take my hair 2-3 days to dry lol..unless i get under a dryer. im gonna try it soon though

[/ QUOTE ]
My hair is very thick, and I always get under the dryer (for at least 30 minutes or so) when I do bantu knots. I do them in the evening, sit under the dryer for 30 minutes, and then take them down in the morning. Maybe you could give that a try. It works great for me.

thanks so much for posting pics Wildflower
smile.gif
this looks really good
grin.gif
i cant wait to try it myself -- jainygirl

Thanks ladies. It doesn't take me long to dry it because I start out with air dried hair or almost dry hair. I tried doing it with wet hair but I didn't like the results as I prefer a looser curl pattern.
This is my staple hairstyle now because it's cute and I use no heat at all. I redo them everynight before I go to bed and I have a good hair day the next morning.

I really love this style Wildflower! I was surprised when I saw your pics - I didn't know Bantu Knots can result in such beautiful waves. It looks so easy too. Thanks for sharing!
Would you say this is another protective style, like braid outs? You don't comb through your hair after taking down the knots, right?

[ QUOTE ]
Allandra said:
[ QUOTE ]
Irresistible said:

[/ QUOTE ]
My hair is very thick, and I always get under the dryer (for at least 30 minutes or so) when I do bantu knots. I do them in the evening, sit under the dryer for 30 minutes, and then take them down in the morning. Maybe you could give that a try. It works great for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

As my hair grows longer, I may have to resort to this method if I want my hair to dry at all before my next wash day.
laugh.gif
I'm saving your tip Allandra for future reference.
smile.gif
Thank you!

I would say so.I don't mess with my hair too much when it's like that. I just finger comb it so it look s half way decent, scrunch some polisher to give shine and activate the curls and that's about it!!
grin.gif

Wildflower - your hair looks amazing. I am going to have to try your method on my hair soon.

Has anyone tried this on natural hair or transitioning hair?

[ QUOTE ]
hairlove said:
Wildflower - your hair looks amazing. I am going to have to try your method on my hair soon.

Has anyone tried this on natural hair or transitioning hair?

[/ QUOTE ]

hey hairlove, there is this journal website that shows pics of a girls bantu knot style. She is natural and it Looks amazing on her. The link to her journal is www.geocities.com/whatiwillbe/squareone
smile.gif

Geez, everyone must've run to her site b/c I got there and then got kicked out!

Thanks, I'll check it out later.

[ QUOTE ]
Isis said:
[ QUOTE ]
Allandra said:
[ QUOTE ]
Irresistible said:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As my hair grows longer, I may have to resort to this method if I want my hair to dry at all before my next wash day.
laugh.gif
I'm saving your tip Allandra for future reference.
smile.gif
Thank you!

[/ QUOTE ]
You're welcome Isis (love your screen name).
smile.gif

Back