BAMBOOZLED by Afroveda

Why does she just copy the descriptions word for word?

Afroveda's description for their emu oil which is $24.99 for 4 oz

Emu Oil is a traditional Australian Aboriginal medicine and natural skin and
hair moisturizer. It is recognized as complementary medicine by the
Therapeutic Goods Administration in Australia (TGA) for the treatment of burns,
wounds, bruises, as ointments for dry cracked heels, for reducing scar
formation in healed burn wounds, and as a pain reliever for bone, muscle, and
joint disorders. Our emu oil is fully refined and contains all natural ingredients,
including vitamins, minerals, and the essential fatty acids Omega 3 and 6.
Please note that some producers sell a manufactured emu oil that has been
clarified. This clarification process eliminates some of the most active
ingredients of the product. Our emu oil is milky white, and each batch is
analyzed to confirm that all essential ingredients are present at the natural
concentrations. This oil is highly penetrating to the skin, and is excellent for
chemically treated and natural hair

Emu oil on Amazon for $19.99 for 4 oz product description
Amazon.com: Emu Oil Australian Pure Premium AEA 4 fl oz. Powerful skin and hair moisturizer: Health & Personal Care: Reviews, Prices & more

Product Description
Emu Oil is a traditional Australian Aboriginal medicine and natural skin and hair moisturizer. It is recognized as complementary medicine by the Therapeutic Goods Administration in Australia (TGA) for the treatment of burns, wounds, bruises, as ointments for dry cracked heels, for reducing scar formation in healed burn wounds, and as a pain reliever for bone, muscle, and joint disorders. Our emu oil is fully refined and contains all natural ingredients, including vitamins, minerals, and the essential fatty acids Omega 3 and 6. Please note that some producers sell a manufactured emu oil that has been clarified. This clarification process eliminates some of the most active ingredients of the product. Our emu oil is milky white, and each batch is analyzed to confirm that all essential ingredients are present at the natural concentrations. This oil is highly penetrating to the skin, and thus fully effective as topical treatment. In the October 09 issue of InStyle Magazine (p. 194) actress Charlize Theron commented on our product: "I'm not big into styling products, but I use this Australian oil to moisturize my hair."

Last edited:
First I want to say that I've been a loyal customer of Mala Rhodes, owner of Afroveda LLC, for two years. I religiously ordered her products and conditioners thinking I was getting the best and paying for the best. Even after the recent price hike I was still willing to support Afroveda as my hair loves her products.

That is, until I realize many of her products, her conditioners in particular, are created from hair bases, yet purported as being mixed and concocted by the owner herself. :nono: :nono:

Take for example her $21.95 Ashlii Amala Deep Conditioner. Here are her ingredients:

This rich hair treatment contains Aloe Vera Leaf Juice, Cetearyl Alcohol, Castor Seed Oil, Moringa Leaf Powder, Red Raspberry Oil, Buriti Seed Oil, Stearalkonium Chloride, Phenoxyethanol, d-Calcium Panthenol Vitamin B5, WheatPRO Plus, Coconut Oil, Kosher Vegetable Glycerin, Pomegranate Oil, Meadowfoam Oil an essential oil blend of Lime, Tangerine, Orange and Thyme, and love.

Now compare to the hair base found at this website:

Hair Masque

Aloe barbadensis (Organic Aloe) Juice, Cetearyl Alcohol, Ricinus communis (Castor Seed) Oil, Stearalkonium Chloride, Phenoxyethanol, d-Calcium Pantothenate (Panthenol Vitamin B5), Hydrolized Wheat Protein, Cocos nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Kosher Vegetable Glycerin, Limnanthes alba (Meadowfoam) Oil

It is the exact same products minus the added oils and WheatPro Plus either you or myself can add if we so desired.

Mala charges close to $22 for an 8 oz of this product. You can get the same product for $22 for 1/2 a gallon on the above website.

That's 64 ounces you can purchase for $22 compared to 8 oz for $22 dollars with Afroveda.

Buyers and potential customers beware. I choose to no longer be bamboozled by this phony.

well i feel bamboozled as well! simply b/c i know not of who....or what Afroveda is
i'm getting old... and out the game (and possibly going back to the green blue magic:-(

For the record, just about all of her conditioners are bases...

- Holy Basil, Coconut Moisture, & Neem - If you like these you can use this: http://www.ingredientstodiefor.com/i...category_id=53

- If you like the The Tea Tree and Lemon, Ylang, CinnaMint, B.A.R.E, and possibly the Ananda (???) conditioners, you can use these bases: Wholesale Bulk Hair Conditioner - Tea Tree 1 Gallon

Wholesale Bulk Aromatherapy+ Conditioner - Ylang and Ginger

Wholesale Bulk Aromatherapy+ Conditioner - Rosemary Mint 1 Gallon

Wholesale Bulk Conditioner - AromaFree® (Unscented) 1 gallon

wow thanks!! i'll get to trying these.... thanks sis
(still sad i don't know Afroveda.... shyyyte or her cousin Hairveda) same company???

wow thanks!! i'll get to trying these.... thanks sis
(still sad i don't know Afroveda.... shyyyte or her cousin Hairveda) same company???
r

No Afroveda and Hairveda are two different companies. Correct me if I'm wrong but Afroveda's original target group was naturals and Hairveda focuses more on Ayurvedic ingredients.

Anyway that's what bothers me too, that if something on the ingredients list of the bases she purchases doesn't match up with her ideals she's going to just leave it out and it's something people could be allergic to or just not want in their hair. Like the silicones she left off. The fact she took off the ingredients list for her conditioner from her website just doesn't fill me with much confidence in her products.

r

No Afroveda and Hairveda are two different companies. Correct me if I'm wrong but Afroveda's original target group was naturals and Hairveda focuses more on Ayurvedic ingredients.

Anyway that's what bothers me too, that if something on the ingredients list of the bases she purchases doesn't match up with her ideals she's going to just leave it out and it's something people could be allergic to or just not want in their hair. Like the silicones she left off. The fact she took off the ingredients list for her conditioner from her website just doesn't fill me with much confidence in her products.

i'm really wondering if KIMMAY will be using this same base

whoever finds me a base for kinky curly knot today.... i'm putting a 1000k price tag on your head!

and some others may chip in... the bounty get's higher!!! lol (4-real-do)

Correct. Even you can do it. Just don't forget to charge 5x as much to gain a profit and when you feel like pulling an Afroveda, up the price within a year and explain its because of increase prices of raw products.

If she's charging this much for conditioners, I'm pretty certain we're being ripped off on her butters too.
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

[USER=25973 said:
Myjourney2009[/USER] ;12084613]I found out about bases used in the "natural conditioners" when I was looking to purchase wheat protein, etc. I found the base that is used for my favorited leave-in,( I wont be trying to make it at home becuase the store brought one works just fine). Thank you OP for this site, I think I am going to purchase and add my own oils to the base of another conditioner I found on this site.

The specific conditioner I am thinking of using is Moisturizing Conditioner. This specific base is used in a very, very, very popular "natural" line. The company just adds avocado butter and avocado oil to the base. I can add avocado oil to the base for a fraction of the cost.

Side note: I have never used Afroveda, but I have seen the price jump and the videos that have followed.

which company line? (PM me pleeeeeeez:-)

afroved-- hairveda-- now aveda???? silly country gal like me never heard of these names.... but damn can they get another name??? or must they all rhyme

Aveda is not a new start up natural line. It's a cosmetic corporation that has been in business since the late 1970's.

I just don't think I want a gallon of anything and I don't want to mix my own products. I tried this and I don't have the patience...I'm OK with the bases. Also, I don't think AfroVeda is in jeopardy of closing it's doors. Believe it or not, they still have a strong following. Will it be my first choice, probably not. But once she stabilizes the mixture I will repurchase.

Luckily my hair likes Carol's Daughter and Oyin Handmade, both I can purchase locally.

Now this AfroGate issue has made me look at other products...I like Mozeke, Donna Marie, and Komaza as a replacement for the Curl Define.

most won't be mixing

but if any of you were interested in going in on the mixes.... b/c shipping is a fool on ups

let me know.... i know on Naturally curly they were combining orders.... it would be hard, but if those interested agreed i would order... weigh it out... and ship for anyone interested

i also saw they carried samples... but shyyyte shipping still waaaaay more than the product

but i will say, shipping is quite high these days.... i learned the hard way

i know i'll be ordering the masque, the simple aloe jelley, and maybe a few others

whoever finds me a base for kinky curly knot today.... i'm putting a 1000k price tag on your head!

and some others may chip in... the bounty get's higher!!! lol (4-real-do)

tHeHaIRLaB

Are you for real?! I'm up to this challenge. Seriously! I'll go for less than 1000K (do you know that's actually one million dollars!)

P.S. Do it have to be a base? or would my own super-secret formulation suffice?:look:

Last edited:
Back