Back To No Lye

lshevonne

Ok, I'm one of the ladies we kept trying to go with the lye relaxer and my hair keeps saying no. I noticed that I needed a corrective relaxer and decided to do it after 5 weeks. I know, I know I should have waited longer but couldn't take it. I started off doing the areas that needed it most and then to any new growth that I saw. (No very much) From applying to smoothing it was 15-17 mins. I then rinsed everthing out, shampoo/neutralizer, deep conditioned, detangled, hood-dryer and airdryed to complete. I curled it with my large curling iron. On Wed. I'll shampoo it again. (Tip: From Hair Lady)
So far I like my hair. I went back to Fabulaxer No-Lye.
Oh, I did put Roux Porosity on the previous relaxed hair.

** What works for some doesn't work for me **

Last edited:
lshevonne said:
Ok, I'm one of the ladies we kept trying to go with the lye relaxer and my hair keeps saying no. I noticed that I needed a corrective relaxer and decided to do it after 5 weeks. I know, I know I should have waited longer but couldn't take it. I started off doing the areas that needed it most and then to any new growth that I saw. (No very much) From applying to smoothing it was 15-17 mins. I then rinsed everthing out, shampoo/neutralizer, deep conditioned, detangled, hood-dryer and airdryed to complete. I curled it with my large curling iron. On Wed. I'll shampoo it again. (Tip: From Hair Lady)
Oh, I did put I think it's a reconstructor on the previous relaxed hair but can't think of the name.

I agree. under no circumstances would i swap my no-lye for a lye relaxer. if you have no probs, or even if you have dry ends, dont automatically think its due to your relaxer type. maybe its the moisturiser you use, maybe u need 2 clarify, MAYYYYBE u have been hit with the BLUNT SCISSOR WOMAN (like i did 6months ago) you never ever know. swapping relaxers isn't really that good in my eyes. just keep that hair moistened, and what i have started to do is, wen i put in my conditioner, i add my creams n oils and then use a baggy (while hair is still damp) in the morning i take off my baggy, and my hair is still damp. it then dries then i have lil waves. this teaches the hair to stop being so porous..it actually works too. my hair is moistened for longer now, for like 5 days my hair is moist, i dnt even need 2 use a cream everyday when before i used the whole TUB every week!!!

Candy_C
Thanks for the moisture tip. I try to keep my ends moisturized as much as possible since I like to wear my hair down.

lshevonne said:
Oh, I did put I think it's a reconstructor on the previous relaxed hair but can't think of the name.

girl you are not alone, samething happened to me. I'm sticking to no-lye from now on, cuz it's what works.

I say go with what works for you. I recently changed to Vitale Lye Relaxer for Coarse Hair. Personally, for my hair, it was the best move I made. I didn't do it before becasue I had a bad experience with Bantu relaxer which was very strong and burned my scalp like crazy. After using Vitale, I have decided I will not go back to no-lye relaxers. I didn't burn not one bit and my hair is softer and less frizzy. Again, you have to do what is best for your hair. :)

I just went back to no lye for the first time in 2 years. So far, my hair feels so much better. I also trimmed a lot of thin ends off so, that cold be why my hair feels better.... I just found it too easy to underprocess and overprocess my hair with lye relaxers. Plus, a lot of ladies with my hair type (fine 4a/4b) use no lye relaxers with no problem.

I've been using Lye relaxers forever and didn't relize it until I tried to use the Organic's By africa's best no-lye relaxer, and my hair came out soooooooo under processed after 32min, and it left my newly relaxed hair looking drier than the desert compared to my ends, it almost looked greyish. Anyway I took out my last bit of TCB Bone STraight and did a corrective relaxer a few hours later the shine was back and my hair was bone straight just like I like, that was the first time in my 13 yrs of relaxing that my hair was underprocessed, so that's when I started trying to find out what NO BASE meant, and found out that my relaxer I have been using was Lye. I did use the Vitale Life and Body on my daughters hair and I love it, and her hair is bone straight,shiny and not feeling stripped at all. Also there was nothing under or overprocessed about it, I left it on for the 20 min. One thing I've learned is that the time prescribed may not always be he time needed to process your hair, depending on the porosity of the hair tells how easy that relaxer and or strength of relaxer will take. So sometimes you may have to leave it on a little lesser than prescribed or longer, that's why it's always good to do a strand test w/ a new brand of relaxer. HTH's

lshevonne said:
Zoj2
Your hair looks like mine. I have 4a & 4b on my head.

Yes it does! I noticed you used PCJ lye, is that what left you underprocessed? I used two rounds of it this year and it indeed left me with frizzy underprocessed hair.

Glad you guys found success with no-lye! After using both no-lye and lye relaxers, I found that the no-lye was the damaging culprit to my hair. It turned an awful brown and was dry, dry, dry. My scalp always flaked horribly, and my hair looked dry and frizzy all the time. The only thing that has changed in my regime is my relaxer, and my hair is much healthier with the change to lye. I'll never go back. My hair is still recovering from the damage from the no-lye :mad: relaxer.

I thought it was just me. No-lye makes my hair brownish-red. My hair is still fairly black with the lye relaxers

keylargo said:
It was the lye relaxers that turned my hair brownish. My hair was much darker with no-lye relaxers

What do you ladies think? Maybe the overprocessed hairs turn red-brown? I would say my hair when I was using no lye was over processed. Maybe that's why it was reddish-brown. Hm!

I just used the Vitale Life & Body relaxer last Saturday, and my hair came out soooo underprocessed. I was very upset and I even cried because I'm scared to do a corrective relaxer, and I was just really really upset. I couldn't believe it, it looked like my hair didn't even get touched with a perm. I'm still trying to figure out how to deal with this mess, because I don't even want to flat iron it... I think I will go back to dealing with Profectiv :mad:

Back