Back in the day/ hairstyle memories

Minx

I was just thinking about some of my most memorable hair sytles:

In the 80's I had the infamous Jheri curl.
I wanted my hair to look all pretty like Michael Jackson or the guys from Ready for The World!
I usually pulled it up on the sides, held it in place with a banana clip, and then I'd gel and brush all that "baby hair" down around my edges!

By the late 80's I had grown out the curl.
I remember getting an A-sysmetric cut;
I'm talking like Salt n Pepa, MC Lyte, etc.
I even had a little blond color put in the front to look like Lisa Lisa which hung down over my left eye.;)

Then in the early 90's I had a "Halle Berry" short cut.
By mid 90's I got a close cut a la "Toni Braxton".....I just knew I cute!

Oh, another one I remember from the 90's:
Braids with the little gold thingy's on the ends.
In the mornings when I would walk my little girl to the bus stop,
all the little kids would say, "Hey, Sha-nae-nae."
(Remember her from "Martin"?)
We live in the south so with that southern drawl, it was just too funny!

What about you all?
What are some of your most memoraible hair styles from the 80's and 90's?

dk

I had the salt & pepa. I also had the style where the front was feathered and the back was long(M.C. Lyte?) . I rocked a mushroom for a long time.

In the mid/late 80's I had big hairsprayed Bangs - like white girls.
Sometimes I would wear a banana clip too. yikes

Later 80's early 90s I had that Salt n Pepa wedge cut. no hair dye though.
I did the braids with the gold bands on the ends

Then mid 90s I had the short in the front & on top with shoulder length in the back. No not a mullet but now in hindsight...it's pretty close. But it was cute.
I did a lot of Gel'd Fingerwaves in the mid 90s too.

My all time favorite was the big Poetic Justice Braids. I LOVED those!

Then I cut my hair short with a chinlength bang on the right side front. (That was pretty)
Then I cut the bang too and had that short Nia long hair.
When I started growing that out, I had small box braids in a chin length bob.

I stopped cutting my hair in 97. SO prefers long hair...so do I.

I had the infamous asymmetric cut too! :lol:

I remember my aunt use to wear a "snatch-back" religously! I'd watch her style it and she was a pro too :lol:

amr501 said:
I had the infamous asymmetric cut too! :lol:

I remember my aunt use to wear a "snatch-back" religously! I'd watch her style it and she was a pro too :lol:
what is that ? I used to hear that all the time!

I wore the heck out of the asymetrical then I did the low front long back...in the late 90"s I was the zillions/micro/individual queen ( I wore three colors but as high and low lights with the spanish wavy-girllll swore I was the ****). Oh I even did a 6 month bid ib bkeach blonde land...when I git tired I woke up one mornign and chopped it off! I looked like a woodpecker or something!

Wow, am I the only one that can go back so much further than that?

I remember wearing afros, afro puffs and I even remember when cornrows came out. We used to spiral one big cornrow around and around our heads until it got to the very crown at the top of the head and you'd swirl and wrap that part around into a big cone! Oh how I wish I had a picture of that, but think old 70's Soul Train and you'll get it.

I wanted the Anita Baker style soooo bad. I got it cut in what was supposed to be that style, but it NEVER looked anywhere near as good as hers did. In fact, it was hideous on me.

I did the banana clip. hair comb to one side with a tuck comb. I did the really short hair. Big big hair. short at the front and long at the back.

I was a just a girl in the 80's but you can see my hair in a ponytail to the side with a bright neon green scrunchi. In the 90's I pretty much just wore buns with some sideways bangs or scrunched my hair up with alot of gel. It used to be hard as a rock but you could not tell me I did not look fresh to death :rofl:

I was styling with my little jheri curl-had no idea I was already up on the whole head baggying every night-:lachen: I did the assymetrical style, the mushroom, the short in the front and long in the back, flips, and the ear length bob with a gorgeous auburn color.

ok I was just about to bring up the mushroom:lol: other styles I remember are:

Crimps
Fingerwaves
box braids

I wore the snatch back all through high school with my school boy glasses :look:

oh and yes I dyed my hair red with cool aid :)

Updated to include:
Pineapple wave

Last edited:
Fran said:

Crimps
Fingerwaves
box braids

I wore the snatch back all through high school with my school boy glasses :look:

Ok somebody please tell me:what is a snatch back? And ditto on the school boy glasses. I died to have contact lenses and wore the dang school boy glasses with them. :confused:

DivaRox said:
Ok somebody please tell me:what is a snatch back? And ditto on the school boy glasses. I died to have contact lenses and wore the dang school boy glasses with them. :confused:

ok I think I found a picture of the snatch back. The front is short and the back is long.

In the late 90s, I loved those crochet braids (at least that's what they called them where I'm from). I even took my senior picture with them in my hair.

I always had ultra short hair, much shorter than it is now ironically even though I just started taking care of it.

I had mostly fingerwaves. :lol: My grandmother and aunt had a Jherri curl and tried to convince me to get one so "my hair would grow" but I refused.

Fran said:

Crimps
Fingerwaves
box braids

wow I forgot about those experiments and how we thought wylers wouldn't work as good...lol. Grape, orange (thought it would make blonde go figure) and red

I'm remembering a combo of styles from myself and older sisters, they were teenagers in the 80's and I was just a youngin.

They had the banana clips and the lisa lisa style.

Feathered hair on one side and a mini comb holding their other side back. Putting their own hair in box braids.

Did anyone else wear one side of their hair in the back out and the rest up in a high pony or was it just my sisters? :lol:

I had shoulder length fat extentions burned at the ends one time early 90's.

I remember wearing bangs and a high pony curling that pony with a curling iron and teasing the heck out of it. (Ooh teasing, what were we thinking?)

Later 90's I was all about crocheting and 'that new hair you can curl & crinkle by dippin it in hot water and later learned at a very low setting you can curl it with a curling iron' Kanekalon individuals.<---that was fun though! I almost hate that I feel like I've 'outgrown' them.

I mainly wore Flip Bangs, Crimps, Big Stacks, The Mushroom, The Short in the front Long in the back (technically it was a mullet type of style). :lachen: This was all back in the late 80’s and early 90’s. :)

Mook's hair said:
Then mid 90s I had the short in the front & on top with shoulder length in the back. No not a mullet but now in hindsight...it's pretty close. But it was cute.
I had one of those in high school. :lol: But I started to grow it out during the latter half of my senior year.

Where are my militant ladies! I wore a high-top fade with big hoop earrings in the early 90s! My metal tooth pic had a fist on it and the plastic one was red, black, and green and it it folded up.

Before that I killed the mushroom, jherri curls, and flipped hair with 2 push combs (stacked together) on each side. I would also curl my hair going back, comb it going back and then push it forward with my hand.

As it grew out I adopted the Halle Berry and dukie braids. Growing out that Halle Berry was murda!

Push waves, pineapple waves, fingerwaves with glitter spray on the ridges. Do ya'll remember when you could buy different color weave by the inch for about $1 an inch? I was the streak queen!

Those were the days!:D

In middle school the donut bun was all the rage. And does anyone else remember when girls where wearing like 50,000 scruchies with like 1inch of ponytail peaking out?:lachen: Then there was the fan ponytail, and the fan bangs..OMG!
I used to wear the waterfall bang too. LOVED the waterfall bang. I thought I was too cute with my white reebok princesses and my missed matched socks (purple and red on one foot, and red and purplr socks on the other).LOL!

In highschool everybody was wearing those glittery mini butterfly clips. The ones they used to sell for $1/each at the front counter of the BSS. I used to have a whole rack of those things, but could never figure out the right way to wear them.

When I was younger I used to beg my mother for the french roll with some pearls hanging from the bobby pins....she thought that was too grown.

.......That is all for now:)

Last edited:
Well most of my life was lived in the 90s. LOL. Except for a year.

I had the big "dookie braids" when I was little. Cut one off.

I had the braids w|the gold things on the end LOL. Got my shanaenae on. Haha.

I also had the latchhook braids.

I used to rock goddess braids a lot when I was little. I thought I was the little princess! Haha!

& I did a short haircut in July of last year. I even had a star cut into the back of my head, but we won't talk about that.

Riny made me think of some other stuff! Haha.

For fifth grade promotion I had this super fly french roll w|this yellow gems goin' up it that matched my black/yellow dress. LOL. & The tiny butterfly clips in the front on my twisties. haha

Even recently I've worn really big 1920's lookin' fingerwaves when my hair was still reaaaaaally short. LOL & I wore popcorn waves too. LOL. My mom had me with the 80s styles Hahahah.

Ms. Cleo said:
As it grew out I adopted the Halle Berry and dukie braids. Growing out that Halle Berry was murda!
Yeah, those hairstyles were classic! But I ain't gonna lie. Some of the Halle Berry cuts I saw were DA BOMB when they were done by a stylist who knew what the heck they were doing. I never really got into dukie (or dookie) braids though. Shoot, I never wore braids until Brandy burst onto the scene in the "I Wanna Be Down" video. :lol:

i could get about 10 scrunchies on my ponytail and have 2 blowpops sticking in there. i also rocked the fan ponytail. my fan was the stuff. i could make my fan look so big, while others fans were stingy. i had a mushroom cut too. i refused to get a jerry curl though. my mom, sis, aunties, cousins all had that. i never did understand why they cut my cousins long hair to get her a jerry curl to make her hair grow though.

In the late 80's, I wore an assymetrical cut

Early 90's I got the Halle Berry/Toni Braxton cut

Mid 90's Janet Jackson Braids/Micro Braids

Late 90's shaved (yes I took a buzzer to my head) it all off to go natural and when an inch grew I wore it ashe blonde dyed

I remember in the ealry 90's wearing a french roll (but the roll wasn't to the side it was facing the back) at the top with my hair out and flipped up in the back.
I used to wear braids. With braids down in the front, a ponytail in the middle and braids down at the back)
I also remember putting a ton of gel on to get that really slick look. ( I do that still sometimes but don't get the same effect :look: )

natstar said:
I remember in the ealry 90's wearing a french roll (but the roll wasn't to the side it was facing the back) at the top with my hair out and flipped up in the back.
I used to wear braids. With braids down in the front, a ponytail in the middle and braids down at the back)
I also remember putting a ton of gel on to get that really slick look. ( I do that still sometimes but don't get the same effect :look: )

Yes!! How could I forget, one of my sisters used to KILL this hair style, I did it a few times, but yeah. Also the regular french rolls going to the side and a side parted bang that was shirley temple curled. Oh and a full head of shirley temple curls done with the skinny curling iron.

Oh and I used to pull my hair back into a bun or pony and have one strip or two long strips of hair coming from the top/middle of my head and I'd either spiral them or curl them under.

I remember when the twists in the front, hair out in the back came out too. I'd use those baby butterfly clips to secure the twists and match my clothes.

Back