Ayurveda Ladies..Any Ayurveda Hair Care Book/DVD Recommendations?

Aggie

I've been searching the net looking for books/DVD on Ayurveda hair care and can't find any. Does anyone have any idea what books and or dvd, if any out there I can purchase on Ayurveda haircare? Also where can I find them?

Please include names of books and/or dvd's you may have. If anyone has a website that they purchase from, include a link as well. I especially want to know all the different ways how to use henna, powders for shampoo, conditioning and rinses and the oils, etc.

Any help you can give will greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I believe CandyC had made a pamplet maybe a month ago. I've been using google for gathering most of my info and check your pm.

I believe CandyC had made a pamplet maybe a month ago. I've been using google for gathering most of my info and check your pm.

Thanks honey but sent her a pm about a week ago with another ayurveda help question and I still haven't gotten a response from her. So I decided to ask the other ladies openly on the board if they have any links or sites they shop on that could assist me with this.

Anyone else has any other ideas? Please bear in mind that I live in the Bahamas and I would most likely need to order online or even by phone. Thanks again.

i've just ordered a book from this site
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/158017129X

Naturally Healthy Hair (Herbal Body Series) (Paperback)
by Mary Beth Jansen

Synopsis
Explains how Ayurvedic medicine can renew and invigorate hair, provides instructions on making natural hair care formulas, and presents tips on hair styling.

Hi Den, have you received it as yet? And if you have, does it have any ayurveda recipes in it for hair growth, thickness, etc?

Hi Den, have you received it as yet? And if you have, does it have any ayurveda recipes in it for hair growth, thickness, etc?

I haven't received it yet, i'm expecting it to arrive by the end of next week. i'll let you know when i get it.

I've been searching the net looking for books/DVD on Ayurveda hair care and can't find any. Does anyone have any idea what books and or dvd, if any out there I can purchase on Ayurveda haircare? Also where can I find them?

Please include names of books and/or dvd's you may have. If anyone has a website that they purchase from, include a link as well. I especially want to know all the different ways how to use henna, powders for shampoo, conditioning and rinses and the oils, etc.

Any help you can give will greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I found this book, and it is EXCELLENT! It's called Hair Care (Prevention of Dandruff & Baldness) written by Dr. Renu Gupta. Amazon allows you to preview some of the pages. It is chock full of different recipes and even gives a summary about haircare in the beginning. The recipes start on pg. 16.

P.S. If you happen to find any good ones, can you post them here or pm me their titles/authors? Thanks!!!

Hair Care (Prevention of Dandruff & Baldness)

Last edited:
I found this book, and it is EXCELLENT! It's called Hair Care (Prevention of Dandruff & Baldness) written by Dr. Renu Gupta. Amazon allows you to preview some of the pages. It is chock full of different recipes and even gives a summary about haircare in the beginning. The recipes start on pg. 16.

P.S. If you happen to find any good ones, can you post them here or pm me their titles/authors? Thanks!!!

Hair Care (Prevention of Dandruff & Baldness)

Thanks for the link Keisha and I will keep looking and will pm you as soon as I find something I really like and could use. You do the same for me please. Thanks again.

I ordered this book from amazon some months ago. Excellent, detailed hair care book. Unfortunately, it doesn't have too much information on
Ayurvedic (sp) hair care maybe one hair recipe. It explains the body type (vata, pita etc.) but that's it. That's the only flaw I found with this book but excellent haircare book otherwise!! Just my two cents.

There is another Ayurvedic (sp) book I ordered from amazon that had about 2 or 3 pages of hair care recipes or info. I am at work now so when I get home later in the am I will post title.

i've just ordered a book from this site
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/158017129X

Naturally Healthy Hair (Herbal Body Series) (Paperback)
by Mary Beth Jansen

Synopsis
Explains how Ayurvedic medicine can renew and invigorate hair, provides instructions on making natural hair care formulas, and presents tips on hair styling.

Last edited:
I ordered this book from amazon some months ago. Excellent, detailed hair care book. Unfortunately, it doesn't have too much information on
Ayurvedic (sp) hair care maybe one hair recipe. It explains the body type (vata, pita etc.) but that's it. That's the only flaw I found with this book but excellent haircare book otherwise!! Just my two cents.

There is another Ayurvedic (sp) book I ordered from amazon that had about 2 or 3 pages of hair care recipes or info. I am at work now so when I get home later in the am I will post title.

Thanks Suzieq, I'll be eagerly waiting for your response.

The title of the book is "Ayurvedic Beauty Care":

http://www.amazon.com/Ayurvedic-Bea...bs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1203373951&sr=8-1

If you search the index of the book under hair care you'll see they have about 6 or 7 pages on hair care. The hair info is informative at best but nothing we didn't learn on this board. However, it is closest I've come to getting info from a book about Ayurvedic haircare. I'm still on the hunt to get more info from books and have a few more purchases to make. If any info pans out I'll let you know.:yep:

Thanks Suzieq, I'll be eagerly waiting for your response.

I have this book as well....I totally agree with SuzieQ.:yep:

I don't know if we are allowed to copy/paste things like this from other websites, if not I will delete it.

I ordered my DVD from this site this past summer:

http://www.jiva.com/store/product_d... and DVDs&nm2=DVDs&nm3=Ayurveda and Hair Care

Ayurveda and Hair Care

haircare-big.jpg
Price
One Copy
Price: $3.7

Description
Hair is a vital parameter of external beauty. Poor diet, illness, lack of proper hygiene, pollution, cosmetic procedures, and nutritional deficiencies can all affect the health of your health. Ayurveda has specific treatments for keep your hair beautiful and free from disorders. This DVD provides solutions to all your hair problems including dandruff, hair loss, premature graying, split ends, and dry, lusterless hair.

I don't know if we are allowed to copy/paste things like this from other websites, if not I will delete it.

I ordered my DVD from this site this past summer:

Ayurveda and Hair Care

haircare-big.jpg
Price
One Copy
Price: $3.7​

Description
Hair is a vital parameter of external beauty. Poor diet, illness, lack of proper hygiene, pollution, cosmetic procedures, and nutritional deficiencies can all affect the health of your health. Ayurveda has specific treatments for keep your hair beautiful and free from disorders. This DVD provides solutions to all your hair problems including dandruff, hair loss, premature graying, split ends, and dry, lusterless hair.​

Come on Ballerina, fess up, is it a good dvd with any recipes and if so, how many recipes does it have? Is it a good and worthwhile copy? Are you using any of the recipes with great results? Are there any good product recommendations on it? If so, which ones? Sorry about all the questions but inquiring mind wanna know.

The title of the book is "Ayurvedic Beauty Care":

http://www.amazon.com/Ayurvedic-Bea...bs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1203373951&sr=8-1

If you search the index of the book under hair care you'll see they have about 6 or 7 pages on hair care. The hair info is informative at best but nothing we didn't learn on this board. However, it is closest I've come to getting info from a book about Ayurvedic haircare. I'm still on the hunt to get more info from books and have a few more purchases to make. If any info pans out I'll let you know.:yep:

Thanks Suzieq. I'll go check it now.

Thanks honey but sent her a pm about a week ago with another ayurveda help question and I still haven't gotten a response from her. So I decided to ask the other ladies openly on the board if they have any links or sites they shop on that could assist me with this.

Anyone else has any other ideas? Please bear in mind that I live in the Bahamas and I would most likely need to order online or even by phone. Thanks again.

lol she was having a break!

I've just read it, i wasnt being ingnorant

Look in my signature for the link to my website - it carries the book and other things too

ebook version - which will be sent immediately (or ASAP)
and the hardback version ,which somes with a sample of tonic powders and insensce :)

:yep:

lol she was having a break!

I've just read it, i wasnt being ingnorant

Look in my signature for the link to my website - it carries the book and other things too

ebook version - which will be sent immediately (or ASAP)
and the hardback version ,which somes with a sample of tonic powders and insensce :)

:yep:

Thanks Candy. I had a problem finding a link for the e-book so I had to order the hard copy. I really wanted the e-book so I can start reading it right away though. Oh well, I guess I'll have to wait for the arrival of the hard copy instead.

Hi Aggie

The DVD isn't too bad. There is a lot of the information on the forum already that is covered in the DVD.

However, it discusses how using chemicals in the hair is the root cause of aggravating Pitta and pitta or aggravation of pitta is the root cause of hair problems. Vasant Lad has a pretty good book on Ayurveda,"The Complete Book Of Ayurvedic Home Remedies". It's a good book to begin with as a primer and then advance from there... take a class ...etc.

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Book...bs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1204071805&sr=8-1http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Book-Ayurvedic-Home-Remedies/dp/0609802860/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1204071805&sr=8-1

It shows some of the techniques they use for taking are of the hair. Thre is something where they have a banana leaf/leaves wrapped around the head and oils poured on top. The oil is left in for an hour. But essentially the hair and scalp are somewhat immersed in the oil.

some of the DVD is talking about their products( a little product pushing).

Mentions various herbs ...the usuals that have already been discussed here: amla, shikakai, neem, tumeric.

He suggests taking amla internally.

He suggests avoiding Pitta type of foods.

It's really nice to read about Ayurveda to get a better understanding. There are other things besides just foods that can cause Pitta imbalance.

Here are 2 other good books. They are much more advanced though. I learned something new ... Looking at your dreams to discover im/balances. Dreams can have themes that are more Pitta, Vata or Kapha

http://www.amazon.com/Textbook-Ayur...bs_sr_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1204071805&sr=8-3

HTH

Come on Ballerina, fess up, is it a good dvd with any recipes and if so, how many recipes does it have? Is it a good and worthwhile copy? Are you using any of the recipes with great results? Are there any good product recommendations on it? If so, which ones? Sorry about all the questions but inquiring mind wanna know.

Hi Aggie

The DVD isn't too bad. There is a lot of the information on the forum already that is covered in the DVD.

However, it discusses how using chemicals in the hair is the root cause of aggravating Pitta and pitta or aggravation of pitta is the root cause of hair problems. Vasant Lad has a pretty good book on Ayurveda,"The Complete Book Of Ayurvedic Home Remedies". It's a good book to begin with as a primer and then advance from there... take a class ...etc.

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Book-Ayurvedic-Home-Remedies/dp/0609802860/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1204071805&sr=8-1

It shows some of the techniques they use for taking are of the hair. Thre is something where they have a banana leaf/leaves wrapped around the head and oils poured on top. The oil is left in for an hour. But essentially the hair and scalp are somewhat immersed in the oil.

Mentions various herbs ...the usuals that have already been discussed here: amla, shikakai, neem, tumeric.

It's really nice to read about Ayurveda to get a better understanding. There are other things besides just foods that can cause Pitta imbalance.

Here are 2 other good books. They are much more advanced though. I learned something new ... Looking at your dreams to discover im/balances. Dreams can have themes that are more Pitta, Vata or Kapha

http://www.amazon.com/Textbook-Ayur...bs_sr_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1204071805&sr=8-3

HTH

Whoa mama!! Thank you so much Ballerina for all the info. I am going to check some of this out right now. Now you have me all excited about learning some more about ayurveda. Thanks a million honey.

Hi Aggie

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Book-Ayurvedic-Home-Remedies/dp/0609802860/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1204071805&sr=8-1

HTH

This might sound like a silly question, but can NATURALS use these products?

All of you that are posting have beautiful shiney hair in your siggys. I want stronger hair too, but natural and relaxed react differently to certain products.

Any naturals using? If so, please post your technique and experience?

Thanks!

Naturally Healthy Hair: Herbal Treatments and Daily Care for Fabulous Hair by Mary Beth Janssen

I got it from Amazon.com.

Ooooh, I just ordered this book on amazon.com but it hasn't arrived as yet. A lot of people are recommending it. Thanks everyone for all your help.

By the way Lavendar, I sent you a comment in your fotki, I hope you got it. I think I might be needing to pm you from time to time on the correct usage of my henna and other ayurveda powders, okay? I saw your recipe and I like it and have everything in that recipe except my henna.

I just ordered some henna from FNWL and some indigo, powders and oils from www.Mehndiskinart.com. They actually have 6 shikakai oils for $27.00 which is the cheapest I've found so far. When you purchase them retail, they cost wayyyy more. I think on that site, wholesale is the best way to go.

Do you use indigo at all for getting that rich black look in your hair, if not, what are you using to get it so nice and dark? I want to henna but I really don't think I want that super black look just yet. How do I achieve this look?

Back