Aveda prodcuts on black hair

I used to love Damage Remedy and Dry Remedy poos and cons...I think I stopped using those two sets due to the prices.

I still have the anti-humectant pomade in my rotation. Their products work well on all hair types, but the rosemary line is a bit drying.

The products don't really work or not work based on your ethnicity. It has more to do with dryness, porosity, whether you've had color, etc.

All of the treatments do exactly what they say. Unfortunately they lack in the detangling category.
I worked at an aveda salon here is what I have found:

The shampure line is great for fine hair. I use both products, but the conditioner is not heavy enough for moisturizer while it does have *SOME* detangling properties.

Dry remedy is excellent for moisture. I don't necessarily think its great for fine hair. If you have dense strands it would be good for your hair, but you will need to clarify often. And the conditioner and the treatment don't detangle.

Damage remedy is an excellent protein treatment. The Damage Remedy treatment (not conditioner) is worth every penny if you need protein. I've seen it turn hair around. I've seen this detangle sometimes.

The brilliant line is my favorite. The shampoo and conditioner work well on everyone except white women with oily bone straight fine hair. The conditioner makes hair so incredibly shiny its amazing. It also detangles more than the others.

Be Curly is garbage. All of it except for that "style prep" they have. The rest is awful. The cream is so heavy but leaves most hair dry. I didn't even like it for white curly hair.

The color protection lines (maddar root, etc) all do what they say but are very drying. I used to tell people to get the color shampoo and the brilliant conditioner if they wanted to use a color protection line...

The pure abundance volumizing line is incredibly drying, which was great for thin, fine haired oily white clients. I knew one black client that loved it, but her hair never looked good inbetween appointments.

Smooth infusion is incredibly drying. I like the style prep for blow outs though.

I can't think of any other products, let me know if u want some insight.

Last edited:
The products don't really work or not work based on your ethnicity. It has more to do with dryness, porosity, whether you've had color, etc.

All of the treatments do exactly what they say. Unfortunately they lack in the detangling category.

The shampure line is great for fine hair. I use both products, but the conditioner is not heavy enough for moisturizer while it does have *SOME* detangling properties.

Dry remedy is excellent for moisture. I don't necessarily think its great for fine hair. If you have dense strands it would be good for your hair, but you will need to clarify often. And the conditioner and the treatment don't detangle.

Damage remedy is an excellent protein treatment. The Damage Remedy treatment (not conditioner) is worth every penny if you need protein. I've seen it turn hair around. I've seen this detangle sometimes.

The brilliant line is my favorite. The shampoo and conditioner work well on everyone except white women with oily bone straight fine hair. The conditioner makes hair so incredibly shiny its amazing. It also detangles more than the others.

Be Curly is garbage. All of it except for that "style prep" they have. The rest is awful. The cream is so heavy but leaves most hair dry. I didn't even like it for white curly hair.

The color protection lines (maddar root, etc) all do what they say but are very drying. I used to tell people to get the color shampoo and the brilliant conditioner if they wanted to use a color protection line...

The pure abundance volumizing line is incredibly drying, which was great for thin, fine haired oily white clients. I knew one black client that loved it, but her hair never looked good inbetween appointments.

Smooth infusion is incredibly drying. I like the style prep for blow outs though.

Wow you know your products. My hair is thin and tends to be drying. I got my hair done at the aveda salon. The girl used a foam and some type of soft holding spray which I did not want. She sprayed every piece of hair then she curled it. About two days later my hair was a stringy mess because the hair had been weighed down.

I forgot about Smooth Infusion! I used to use the style prep, but decided it wasn't worth repurchasing once I used it up.

I hated the foam lotion and ended up returning it. Carol's Daughter's foam lotion is good.

Last edited:
Wow you know your products. My hair is thin and tends to be drying. I got my hair done at the aveda salon. The girl used a foam and some type of soft holding spray which I did not want. She sprayed every piece of hair then she curled it. About two days later my hair was a stringy mess because the hair had been weighed down.

syze6 sounds like she used the spray shine instead of the finishing gloss... the spray has a ton of alcohol in it.

this stuff is much better, but its like any heat protectant. Just a lot of cones. you can find similar in the BSS

http://www.aveda.com/product/5222/1..._mmc=GoogleProductSearch-_-Null-_-Null-_-Null

I forgot about Smooth Infusion! I used to use the style prep, but decided it wasn't worth repurchasing once I used it us.

I hated the foam lotion and ended up returning it. Carol's Daughter's foam lotion is good.

I forgot about the phomollient! Yeah, I actually love that stuff for rollersets, but I used to add oil to the bottle I used at home.

I'm not sure if they sell it anymore, but I used to love the Sap Moss products. They gave me shine and body that I never had before.

SummerSolstice is right on!

I've used Aveda on and off for years, but never used it on a regular basis due to price.

Brillant Line - Love the Universal Styling Cream and Anti-humectant Pomade. Whenever I go into and Aveda shop, they always show me that line. LOL

I've used the Black Malva Conditioner to enrich my black hair color in the past. I applied it to dry hair (wearing gloves) and let it sit for a bit then rinse it out. You have to be careful because there is a lot of pigment in it. I never used the shampoo.

Damage Remedy - Excellent for protein. I like it better than Curl Junkie Repair Me actually.

I have used the Damage REmedy treatment and Conditioner and love both. stopped using it when my hair got longer and the cost was prohibitive.

I also love the Brilliant humectant and anti-humectant pomades. Both are awesome.

I did not like the Be Curly at all. Not on my hair, relaxed or texlaxed or natural or on indian curly hair extensions. so that was a huge waste of money for me.

oh i forgot Dry Remedy....i like this line of conditioners but not as much as the Damage Remedy. it left a film on my hair that i wasn't necessarily thrilled with.

the anti-humectant pomade is awesome as stated :) when i moved to nyc my stylist who transitioned me from my relaxer worked at a aveda concept salon. i also liked the control paste but am not sure if they still make it. i never got into many of their products cause of price but their hand relief and foot relief creams are awesome,too! when they used the have the sap moss line my stylist used a mixed of that and the brilliant poo on my hair as well as the conditioners. she has since opened her own salon and none of the products she uses are aveda.

Last edited:
I've always wanted to try the anti humectant. Can you guys explain how you use it? On dry hair? Damp? Thanks.

Sent From The Microwave Where I Warm Up Honeybuns With Cheese :)

The Damage Remedy was a joke on my hair. I did several sessions b/c hair superstylist Reneice gave it her stamp of approval (and other kinky heads)-- but it did nothing for my hair.

I've always wanted to try the anti humectant. Can you guys explain how you use it? On dry hair? Damp? Thanks.

Waaaay back when I used to straighten my hair all the time (straight haired natural) I used it on my dry, freshly ironed hair. I would take about a pea size and smooth it on my hair. It gave me mad shine and kept the frizzies down.

Whenever I have it now, I still use it on my dry (curly) hair - especially when I wear a WnG.

i used to use these products all the time when i first went natural almost four years ago. i still have a few on hand: the dry remedy conditioner and be curly conditioner, but i dont use them that often anymore.

i used to LOVE the damage remedy treatment(but i think kbb hair mask does the exact same thing for my hair so i use that now) and the be curly leave in. the leave in made my hair so full and bouncy, but i havent used that in a very long time.

as much as i used to love aveda im not interested in using the stuff again.

I get my hair colored at the Aveda school, so I use their products when they "style" my hair. I always have the humectant pomade and the confixor in my rotation at home. Confixor plus Long Aid together act a little like Kinky Curly in my hair. I've purchased the Brilliant shampoo and liked it. I use the damage remedy treatment as the salon, but I have other protein treatments I use and don't need it at home, although I like it. Their paddle brush is nice too.

My favs were:

Brilliant Universal Styling Creme
Brillant Anti Humectant Pomade
I JUST found these in my stash drawer tonight. I'm glad I dug them up. I also have the Humectant Pomade.

I use it when my hair is straight or roller set. I dab my finger in the jar--I use very little. I spread it in my hands and run my hands lightly over my hair, concentrating on the ends. It really does keep the frizz away. The stylist I had years ago that introduced me to Aveda would sometimes mix it with a tiny amount of the Brilliant Emollient Gloss.

I liked the Be Curly too on my texlax wash n go. I won't repurchase when it's gone though.

i like the damage remedy line
i would only repurchase the deep treatment though not the poo and condish

My favs were:

Brilliant Universal Styling Creme
Brillant Anti Humectant Pomade

^^^This all day! i love that stuff! that Anti Humectant Pomade has my edges layed like Nene Leakes!

I use them only when I'm wearing my hair straight

Anti Humectant Pomade - right after I straighten my hair and I'm scared it may be humid outside and I don't want it to blow up on me. I use a VERY small amount.

Smooth infusion Style Prep/Smooth infusion Glossing straightener/Universal Styling Creme (My personal 'cocktail' - just a few dabs of each) before I blow dry and I have VERY straight blow dried moisturized hair.

Light Elements Smoothing Fluid (2 pumps for whole head) - right before I flat iron. I don't really need it but love to use something before flat ironing.

Brilliant Emollient Finishing Gloss - I use at night before pin curling or wrapping my hair I focus mostly on my ends. (Just 1 pump)

I have nice bouncy moisturized hair with these products and its not weighed down and even thought the products are expensive you only use a very small amount so it last a long, long time.

Last edited:
Back