Attention: Fine toothed combs are NOT bad

Lovelylocs

You just have to know how to use them properly. :yep: In fact, in some instances it is easier and better to detangle w/a fine toothed comb than w/a jilbere. :shocked: I would've never believed this a 2 years ago, but I'm telling you, learn the proper way to use a fine toothed comb. :yep:

Has anyone else noticed this too?

I'll use a finetoothed comb after I've done my wide-toothed/medium-toothed/small-toothed/deman progression, right before I put my hair in two strands twists - it gets out all of the tiny shed hairs, and it leaves me with much smoother twists.

I think the secret is taking SMALL sections of hair - I comb each 'half' of the twist - trying to comb all the hair that goes into one twist at the same time = :nono:.

I will tell you what I have noticed. Fine tooth combs without exception are generally NOT seamless. In other words, check the comb to see if it has any edges no matter how fine that join, between the teeth, at the top of the comb and down all the sides. These sometimes nearly invisible seams can act as "invisible razors" that overtime erode the cuticle of your hair, creating slash cracks, nicks and splices of the cuticle or at the root of the strand or at the ends. Sometimes having your hair strands examined under a microscope can reveal the damage clearly.

Fine toothed combs are not morally bad, but they can be very bad for the integrity of the strands of your hair. bonjour

I'll use a finetoothed comb after I've done my wide-toothed/medium-toothed/small-toothed/deman progression, right before I put my hair in two strands twists - it gets out all of the tiny shed hairs, and it leaves me with much smoother twists.

I think the secret is taking SMALL sections of hair - I comb each 'half' of the twist - trying to comb all the hair that goes into one twist at the same time = :nono:.

Yeah. That's it and it's almost like you have to stab the hair gently with the comb and thensomb until u feel some resistance, then pull the comb out and stab, etc. Sometimes you have to detangle a little bit underneath where you feel the resistance too. Of course you always start at the bottom.

Yes indeed!!! :yep: After seeing Marcherie combing through her MBL hair with one on her dvd for the purpose detangling and to achieve a nice rollerset. I totally believe fine tooth combs are not the devil.....anymore. :grin:

I use a fine tooth comb for my rollersets. That's how I remove my tangles after I have comb through with my large comb.

100% agree....this is the same progression that I do when doing two-strand twists....rattails are great!

Good to know. After I detangle with the wide tooth comb and smooth with my hands AS IS I have all sorts of hairs and curls sticking through because there is just know way smooth with the wide tooth.

After hearing this, I feel better because my hair has been a wreck - nobody's said anything but oh I've gotten some looks :perplexed because it's not the bun, it's how messy the bun looks. :grin: :lachen:

However, it's one of those things to "use with caution".

Good to know. After I detangle with the wide tooth comb and smooth with my hands AS IS I have all sorts of hairs and curls sticking through because there is just know way smooth with the wide tooth.

After hearing this, I feel better because my hair has been a wreck - nobody's said anything but oh I've gotten some looks :perplexed because it's not the bun, it's how messy the bun looks. :grin: :lachen:

However, it's one of those things to "use with caution".

Oooh, yeah. One of my latest - quests - shall we say - is making the 'perfect' leave-in/moisturizer/twist butter that will make my hair soft & 'moist' enough to be able to get the rattail through, but at the same time, isn't 'moist' enough to make my hair 'curl' back up onto itself.... doing that on dry hair was a mistake I made once :nono:

I will tell you what I have noticed. Fine tooth combs without exception are generally NOT seamless. In other words, check the comb to see if it has any edges no matter how fine that join, between the teeth, at the top of the comb and down all the sides. These sometimes nearly invisible seams can act as "invisible razors" that overtime erode the cuticle of your hair, creating slash cracks, nicks and splices of the cuticle or at the root of the strand or at the ends. Sometimes having your hair strands examined under a microscope can reveal the damage clearly.

Fine toothed combs are not morally bad, but they can be very bad for the integrity of the strands of your hair. bonjour

Yea you are correct if you buy them at BSS. But there are places where there are real seamless combs (hairsense.com). I have a couple and they are fantabulous. Even on my 4b hair.

Yea you are correct if you buy them at BSS. But there are places where there are real seamless combs (hairsense.com). I have a couple and they are fantabulous. Even on my 4b hair.

*the dozing PJ awakes*

Oooh, realllly?? I wouldn't mind having a finetooth comb of my own, so DH can stop giving me the eye when I use his... :grin:

You just have to know how to use them properly. :yep: In fact, in some instances it is easier and better to detangle w/a fine toothed comb than w/a jilbere. :shocked: I would've never believed this a 2 years ago, but I'm telling you, learn the proper way to use a fine toothed comb. :yep:

So what's the proper way to use it - from the other post -a seamless one is best - like the one at honeyfig.com. But what else- only on wet hair? in small sections? How have you used it?

Small sections. And I find that it works best if you start with a wide tooth comb, then a medium tooth comb, and THEN a fine toothed comb. And then after I do all of that, I run my brush through my hair. ZERO tangles.

I have noticed the same thing. I lose more hair with my shower comb, especially once I get out of the shower.

yup , ive done this many times, detangling in the shower, it tames any would be flyaways that happen with wash an gos :)

CG, you're the reason I bought a fine tooth comb (seamless of course) and I absolutely love it.

I go wide------>medium------>fine = detangled, smooth hair especially if it's done while my hair is full of conditioner. It also gives my hair a little bit more hang.

I use them from time to time when styling (parting my hair and for rollersetting) but I know it can't be my everday comb. I've tested it out before, and when I take the same amount of hair and comb through I get more hair coming out with the fine tooth comb. Who knows, maybe it's all about technique. As suggested, I would look into the seamless fine tooth comb because better safe than sorry.

Yep. I agree. But I learned this the hard way. When I first started, I threw or gave away all the things that were "bad" for our hair: blow dryer, hot curling irons, certain ponytail holders, gels, and small tooth combs. I lacked discipline so that was the only way.

Then about a year and a half into it, I experienced several bouts with matting and tangling... and lots a LOT of hair. :crybaby: It set my progress back a few times.

Now, I detangle with a large tooth comb first, (and sometimes follow with a medium-tooth comb). Then seperate my hair in 1/2 inch sections when rollersetting, and use the fine tooth comb, and I loose no hair this way, and have not experienced any major detangling issues since.

Last edited:
Every time I rollerset I do lose more hair than I should. I start out detangling with a wide tooth comb, then medium comb, then smooth my hair on the rollers using a fine-tooth comb. But I notice more hair combing out with a fine tooth comb. So I'm wondering if I'm using a good comb. I'm taking a trip to Sally's tomorrow so I need to know where to go to get a good fine tooth for my rollersets. What should I look for?

As always,

SP :kiss:

When I was relaxed, I could get a fine toothed comb through my hair with hardly any problems. But as a natural, that's a definite :nono: for me, partially due to all the curls I have in my head and how thick it is. But I can easily use a rattail comb using the tail end to make a part in my hair, but combing with it? Uhhh :nono:

Back