As your hair grows, do your ends improve?

kizzylonghair

Hi Ladies

Just wanted to know. If any ladies have started of with thin, fine stranded ends and now have nice thick ends.
There is no doubt that I am a fine stranded sister, but I have defenetly noticed that I have thickened my hair up and it now moves and bounces.

I am guessing the first 5 inches of my hair is the healthiest, its been the hair that hasnt been abused, overprocessed etc.

Do I have to wait for more growth to see to see what my ends really look like.
I am curious to see if I REALLY have thin hair ir its just years of abuse that I need to grow off.

Any ladies grown OFF their thin, fine hair and now have even hair root to tip

Thanks

Kizzy

I could be wrong, but I think that once the hair is out of the hair shaft you can't really change ends if they have been overprocessed. BUT, you can make your ends look and feel nicer and healthier by keeping them protected and moisturized.

I think that if you continue to take good care of your hair (like the 5 inches you mentioned) and lightly dust your ends sometimes, your GOOD healthier hair will one day become your ends and your hair will be even from root to tip. You see what I'm saying??

So basically, I think you have to gradually trim the damaged ends until your healthier thicker hair reaches the ends and THEN your hair really will be thick all over.

I've noticed this when I switched to a milder relaxer and started taking better care of my hair. My hair is currently thicker at the roots and mid-shaft. But from mid-shaft on down to the ends my hair is thinner due to overprocessing, regular strength relaxers, etc. So, I just know that every time I trim my hair, my healthier hair is coming on down, and SOON my hair will be thick all around! :)

I could be wrong, but this is what I figure...

Crystalicequeen123 said:
I could be wrong, but I think that once the hair is out of the hair shaft you can't really change ends if they have been overprocessed. BUT, you can make your ends look and feel nicer and healthier by keeping them protected and moisturized.

I think that if you continue to take good care of your hair (like the 5 inches you mentioned) and lightly dust your ends sometimes, your GOOD healthier hair will one day become your ends and your hair will be even from root to tip. You see what I'm saying??

So basically, I think you have to gradually trim the damaged ends until your healthier thicker hair reaches the ends and THEN your hair really will be thick all over.

I've noticed this when I switched to a milder relaxer and started taking better care of my hair. My hair is currently thicker at the roots and mid-shaft. But from mid-shaft on down to the ends my hair is thinner due to overprocessing, regular strength relaxers, etc. So, I just know that every time I trim my hair, my healthier hair is coming on down, and SOON my hair will be thick all around! :)

Thanks, Crystalicequeen123

I realy hope that this is the case for both of us. It may be that because we have accumated some quality looked after hair in inches. That are ends appear even thinner than they actually are.
You are right about the trims, I had on 3 months ago but I want to grow a little longer before I get another one

Kizzy

Crystalicequeen123 said:

Execllent post! :)

Crystalicequeen123 said:

See this is what I think is going on with my hair too! I got my last salon relaxer back in May because of this. My ends from mid-shaft on down were thin! When I texturized last month, I noticed that my ends look thicker now. Except for one spot in the back on my right side that I'm dealing with (I cut my hair last night though) the rest of my ends are doing much better. I've noticed that my daughter's ends are thick, and she gets her's trimmed every 6-8 weeks.

I have definitely noticed this and I cred the MTG, the consistent habit of oiling the ends which I have done faithfully without missing one night since 1999. Also making sure hair gets a balance of protein, acid, moisture, oil. So now my ends are PHAT!!!

I had convinced myself that I just had fine thin hair before I found the forum. The truth was that I had fine hair that was not supposed to be thin. As my hair grew, the thin hair became my thin ends and when I cut them off, I had a whole new head of hair that was much fuller. Since my cut in Oct 2004, I have tried to maintain the health of my hair. I have done mini-trim a couple of times. I think that as you grow your hair out you'll probably find that it gets thicker and thicker. It may help to look through old pics in your photo albums to see what your hair looks like at its thickest, and that will probably be what you can expect when you finish growing out your hair. Also, remember that there are a lot of non-damaging things that you can do to give your hair more body.

BTW--Your hair is progressing nicely.

As my hair has grown starting on my hair journey....my ends need more and more attention. I think its easier to take care of your ends when the hair is shorter rather than longer. I rarely trim but think I need to sometime soon.

Stormy said:
See this is what I think is going on with my hair too! I got my last salon relaxer back in May because of this. My ends from mid-shaft on down were thin! When I texturized last month, I noticed that my ends look thicker now. Except for one spot in the back on my right side that I'm dealing with (I cut my hair last night though) the rest of my ends are doing much better. I've noticed that my daughter's ends are thick, and she gets her's trimmed every 6-8 weeks.

Yep! I think that is what is happening! :up: Keep up the good work, and soon your ends will be as thick as the rest of your hair. :)

I'm sure my own ends would stop looking so anemic if I just cut the thin ends off. But see...the thing is though, I don't want to do a BC unless my ends are seriously split. My ends aren't really split, they're just a LOT thinner than the rest of my hair since I've been taking better care of my hair. So, I'll just continue to get little trims here and there, and eventually, my ends will (hopefully!) one day be as thick as the rest of my hair.

Plus, the ends of our hair are also the oldest parts of our hair. So, our ends have been through a lot! :D

Back