As your hair becomes longer/healthier, do you plan to use heat more often??

How do you feel about direct heat AFTER your reach your goals?

• Heck no, direct heat is the devil!

Votes: 37 22.6%
  • I can't wait to resume using my flat-iron or blow-dryer.

Votes: 10 6.1%
  • I'll continue to use direct heat occassionally.

Votes: 120 73.2%
  • I don't even own a flat iron and/or blowdryer anymore.

Votes: 8 4.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Solitude

I'm talking about blowdrying and flat-ironing. I've had great success by limiting heat, but today I needed to do my hair in a rush. I flat-ironed it and it still felt so soft & silky - no broken hairs, no dry ends. I'm wondering if flat-ironing instead of roller-setting all the time is fine now that I know how to condition and protect my hair......?

So, what do you ladies think???

Is your no/ low heat regimen a hair-lifestyle change or something temporary until your reach your length and health goals?

Do you plan to go back to flat-ironing and/or using the blowdryer or do you think that would cause setbacks?

There is also a poll!

Last edited:
Im neck lenght now(been there all my life) and if i manage to hit APL someday, id be PISSED if my heat habit came and caused a setback!!!

I feel like in order to keep my hair, i have to continue doing everything i did to get it. Once i achieve my goals, i'll probably be even more strict about heat usage.

I've had success retaining length, and I use direct heat (press, flat iron) about 2x a month. My hair is the longest it's been in years, so for me, I don't think heat/no heat is a major factor.

NO!

Going this long without direct heat just proves that your hair can thrive without it.

Yeah, i know how to use it in moderation and use tons of heat protectant but knowing that it is not completely necessary to look presentable like in the past is great with me.

Well I only use blowdry and flat iron maybe at the most twice a month. Other times its in a wet bun. So when I do get APL I will just follow the same ritual. I think as long as im deep conditioning once a week, and keeping my hair and most definately my ends moisturize I should be okay from heat damage. We shall see though.

AT first I thought I would start using more heat, but after seeing CurlyNikki's twist and curl tutorial I cannot WAIT for my hair to get long enough to do that and my hair not shrink up to my ears :look:.

I luv how big, full & naturally curly my hair looks minus the heat. I'll use heat on special occasions like I've been doing for 3 months!

Maybe once every psychadelic moon. :look:

I haven't thought long and hard about it yet but for right now my answer is I don't think it will become a routine.

When my hair wasn't this healthy and long I would have to work real hard to get it to look pressed. That would take hours and now that I don't have to do that I cringe just thinking about the preperation and gallon size JUGS of heat protectant I would need.:lachen:

Why go through all this time learning/practicing good habits with the intent to go back into the bad habits later? That's like eating healthy and achieving a size 2, and then going back to fast food everyday. You won't be a size 2 for much longer. :lachen: Besides, you've managed to live without it all this time, there should be no problem going without once you've reached your goal. :yep:

I'll surely use heat just as much as I do now. I blowdry on cool, sometimes warm, after I wash. And I flat iron about every 2 weeks.

I don't know about "more" often.. I already use a good amount of heat now. But I'm of the belief that what's the point of having long pretty hair if it's always up in a bun or styled otherwise unattractively.

I'm just beginning to reap the benefits of little to no heat styling and I have found something that works for me...So I dont think I will be going back to using direct heat. Maybe once or twice a month just to check my length but other than that..I'll stick to my roller sets and braids!:grin:

I already use the blowdryer fairly often, but i only flat iron once a month. I think that once my hair gets to APL, i probably wont "have to" increase my heat usage, because i'l be able to do twistouts/braidouts that hang down and look good. I think it's easier to make longer hair look good without heat, so i can only imagine tha i will be usuing the same amount or less heat even than ido now, but i'll be happier with my hair overall.

I'm talking about blowdrying and flat-ironing. I've had great success by limiting heat, but today I needed to do my hair in a rush. I flat-ironed it and it still felt so soft & silky - no broken hairs, no dry ends. I'm wondering if flat-ironing instead of roller-setting all the time is fine now that I know how to condition and protect my hair......?

So, what do you ladies think???

Is your no/ low heat regimen a hair-lifestyle change or something temporary until your reach your length and health goals?

Do you plan to go back to flat-ironing and/or using the blowdryer or do you think that would cause setbacks?

There is also a poll!

My no/low heat regimen is a hair style change......when I reach my hair goal I won't even use heat that much.....I love braidouts and with long hair..it's beautiful.....right now I'm using too much heat and need to start easing up on the heat......

I think if I use heat for special events like dates, graduation, interviews, then I don't think it will cause setbacks for me, I still do my dcing, and pre-pooing, and stretching my relaxers, as along as I don't catch the heat bug and do it all the time, I think I will be ok.......:yep:

No way! It's been over 3 years since direct heat has touched my hair, so I've proven to myself that I don't need it. It is definately a lifestyle change for me.

Last edited:
Back in the days when I used heat several times a week to curl my ends or blowdry, I ALWAYS needed a trim. I've gotten so used to a no direct heat regimen over the past three years that I can't see myself going back.

I don't know about "more" often.. I already use a good amount of heat now. But I'm of the belief that what's the point of having long pretty hair if it's always up in a bun or styled otherwise unattractively.

I couldn't of said it better myself. I personally will blow dry and flat iron every two weeks. I never had a problem with hair breakage and heat damage prior to coming to this site and now that I have even more knowledge, I don't see heat as a problem.

I don't think so. Not only is heat bad, imo, it's too much work. I would probably just put my hair in large twists and get it straight enough for my liking. I might flat iron once in a blue moon, but it's not something I could see myself ever doing regularly.

I'll probably use heat twice a month. I'm sure I'll have other options when my hair reaches full APL...Just being on this site lets me know that its possible to have beautiful hair minus the heat.

There is NO way I am getting rid of the blowdryer. As the only fem in my home (2 sons and hubby) I need the extra time it buys me. However I will limit it. The flat iron however fries my hair because it is so fine so it will go way in the back of my closet. My hair is getting to so soft and moisturized that I am beginning to get some pretty straight results without it . . . and I've only been at this about a month.

So . . . in answer . . . blow dry now and then and flat iron only on VERY special occasions.

-

For me? No. I find that the longer it gets, I can stretch longer. I can also wear air-dried wash-n-gos. And I find that I like the frizziness and craziness of the hair, even when it does look tamed. Especially for the summer. I can't wait until it gets hotter. I'll be doing more WNG's, CO's and much less heat. It's too hot for that. My hair grows fastest and is most healthy during this time. My diet improves, and I step up my exercise. :yep:

Regimen wise, if it ain't broke why fix it. I flat iron once every 2-3 months and that's as much a part of laziness as that I don't think that regular heat use is good for my hair. If that regimen gets me to bsl, then there's no need to change it.

Umm I will use it just as much as I use it now which is not alot.
Im a lazy bum and washing and stuff already takes long enough, dnt feel like adding more hair time on to that.

I am doing that now.

When I started out on my hair journey last year, I had just cut my hair from APL to SL just b/c lol. I only did my hair at the salon and got rollerwraps. Occasionally I got a blow out. When I started doing my hair myself, I tried rollersetting but it was too hard and so I just bunned, air dried and half wigged it. I would flat iron my very front hair to blend but I hadn't blowdried my hair in like 7 yrs.

Now that I'm almost BSL and stretching, I find that after week 12, blowdrying/flat ironing is a life saver. It prevents as many tangles and keeps my hair looking smooth, so I have been doing it once a week and wrapping at night. So I will probably keep that routine up. . .w/ wk 12 being the changer.

Back