Are You Or Have You Ever Been A Molly?

Browndilocks

Browndisha Brownie Sundae
I have to admit the first time I watched Insecure, I didn’t see why Molly was having such hard times with men. The ones who were blatant buttholes were obvious, but I specifically did not catch on when dude played her via text, then why Jidenna’s character played her so cold. When I watched it for the second time I realized that Molly was in fact doing too much but honestly I sometimes had to pay very close attention to see how.:cantlook::sekret:

I’m not a Molly...my flaws bite me in the butt in different ways than hers. While I do think she reached a little, I still don’t think her behavior was that bad. She was horrible to the gay guy and the teacher but that’s about it imo. Yet it looks like she’s learning some hard lessons by making innocent mistakes and I can definitely relate to that. What say you?

I have to admit the first time I watched Insecure, I didn’t see why Molly was having such hard times with men. The ones who were blatant buttholes were obvious, but I specifically did not catch on when dude played her via text, then why Jidenna’s character played her so cold. When I watched it for the second time I realized that Molly was in fact doing too much but honestly I sometimes had to pay very close attention to see how.:cantlook::sekret:

I’m not a Molly...my flaws bite me in the butt in different ways than hers. While I do think she reached a little, I still don’t think her behavior was that bad. She was horrible to the gay guy and the teacher but that’s about it imo. Yet it looks like she’s learning some hard lessons by making innocent mistakes and I can definitely relate to that. What say you?

Jidenna didnt play her, she played herself as she has with every interaction with men. Molly is the type that wants commitment so badly that she becomes desperate and thirsty af at the first sign of chemistry. Why are you inviting a man that you've only been on two dates with to an engagement party like he's your bf (IMO I think she did it to assert her societal-based worthiness/success as a woman to get and keep a successful, attractive man)?! Why are you then showing up to another man's house drunk, messy af?

Mr. Entreprise was not gay, he experimented, hated it, and doesn't want to go there again. If she wasn't cool with that fine, but to go over his house after she dumped him for the second time pleading for a third chance is NUTS.

I think Molly is an extreme example, but I see certain aspects go her in the former me and nearly all women I've interacted with. Those Disney movies really f'd up my generation as far as what love and relationships should be.

Last edited:
Im sorry but i wouldve bounced too if i was jidenna. People who try to get too close too quick scare me. But then again she did sleep with him fast. However...if ur gonna be down with fast casual sex then u need to be aware of the cons that come with it. A dude will sleep with u but not want u as his girl

Her worst mistake was the doctor, Im still mad at her about that :lol: Talking about "you didnt text me letting me know you got home alright" wtf? and THEN she kept harping on it too

That is ish men do, sending the whole 'hope you got home ok" texts, the type of ish you as the women look at, roll your eyes then go back to sleep..well I do. other women find it sweet, go aww then call him the next day or days later saying they did get home ok and thanks for caring :blah:

It aint the woman's job to ask that ish unless dude is your husband and even then..I see that as nagging.

IDK. Her actions were very apparent to me. Like someone mentioned up thread, she comes across as desperate and thirsty. With Jidenna's character she kept pushing him to respond about the event. Almost like she didn't catch that he wasn't really trying to go. Then she was offended when he only came to appease her. He was so right when he told her it seemed like she needed a win.

She's aggressive and she does too much too early on.

Last edited:
IDK. Her actions were very apparent to me. Like someone mentioned up thread, she comes across as desperate and thirsty. With Jidenna's character she kept pushing him to respond about the event. Almost like she didn't catch that he wasn't really trying go. Then she was offended when he only came to appease her. He was so right when he told her it seemed like she needed a win.

Too much yang. There needs to be a balance and knowing when to say something and how to say it.

She does have a certain desperation and forcefulness.

I believe that it would be detected even if she wasn't promiscuous.

If Molly was a virgin... meeting a man one day and asking him several times to meet her best friends, or family the next day would still freak a lot of guys out.

I mean is there any room for error? Sheesh. I see why those men acted like that but so what. Thin skinned mitches. I'm still mad at Jidenna. :mad:

Am I missing something? What exactly did Jidenna do?
I don't think Jidenna did anything wrong. Molly is the one that got mad and threw him out the party when he told her he was just trying to do her a favor.

Molly's problem is that she settles into relationship mode after they've ordered the appetizers on the first date. If you've been dating someone for some time/in a relationship, then you can set up that expectation and let them know that they need to text you when they get home because you are a worrier or whatever. Telling someone something like that after the first date is aggressive.
While the things she says to these dudes seem innocent now, they probably see it as a red flag for the co-dependent nagging type. She may just now be innocently asking 'why didn't you respond to my text last night', but then in a few weeks be the kind of woman who calls dude 20x in a row.

Last edited:
I don't think Jidenna did anything wrong. Molly is the one that got mad and threw him out the party when he told her he was just trying to do her a favor.

Molly's problem is that she settles into relationship mode after they've ordered the appetizers on the first date. If you've been dating someone for some time/in a relationship, then you can set up that expectation and let them know that they need to text you when they get home because you are a worrier or whatever. Telling someone something like that after the first date is aggressive.
While the things she says to these dudes seem innocent now, they probably see it as a red flag for the co-dependent nagging type. She may just now be innocently asking why didn't you respond to my text last night, but then in a few weeks be the kind of woman who calls dude 20x in a row.

I get it. So petty imo tho.

He charmed her & slept with her and then was acting like she was a charity case as if he didn't play a part. It's not like she was begging him. IDK Just rubbed me the wrong way.

They were two adults that went on a date and vibed with one another. The fact that she pressured him to attend the engagement party in a passive aggressive manner was incredibly unattractive. She was trying to make this man her boyfriend without knowing him. It was never about him as an individual; it was always about what he represents as a successful black man i.e. a massive Molly ego stroke.

Unless I missed something from that scene, he was being really nice considering how off the wall Molly was acting. Granted the whole boyfriend thing was a bit much, but the fact that SHE got all excited is the real concern. She didnt check him and say they were just getting to know each other, she ate it up like a warm biscuit dripping with honey butter. She wasn't taken advantaged of unless she has a intellectual disability that hasn't been discussed on the show. He didn't DO anything to her, she's a grown woman that has made terrible, ego-driven dating choices. Her fault.

IDK. Her actions were very apparent to me. Like someone mentioned up thread, she comes across as desperate and thirsty. With Jidenna's character she kept pushing him to respond about the event. Almost like she didn't catch that he wasn't really trying to go. Then she was offended when he only came to appease her. He was so right when he told her it seemed like she needed a win.

Too aggressive! This used to be the college me. I remember I told an ex what size ring I wore and what kind of ring I wanted....we had been dating like 6 months or so...

Too much...Too much....

I wanted to win so badly I didn't even pay attention to the journey...only the destination.

They were two adults that went on a date and vibed with one another. The fact that she pressured him to attend the engagement party in a passive aggressive manner was incredibly unattractive. She was trying to make this man her boyfriend without knowing him. It was never about him as an individual; it was always about what he represents as a successful black man i.e. a massive Molly ego stroke.

Unless I missed something from that scene, he was being really nice considering how off the wall Molly was acting. Granted the whole boyfriend thing was a bit much, but the fact that SHE got all excited is the real concern. She didnt check him and say they were just getting to know each other, she ate it up like a warm biscuit dripping with honey butter. She wasn't taken advantaged of unless she has a intellectual disability that hasn't been discussed on the show. He didn't DO anything to her, she's a grown woman that has made terrible, ego-driven dating choices. Her fault.

This is a big turn off, doesn't seem genuine when men are like this, just thirsty to showboat.

Ok I get that. All of that. But where is Jidenna's actions in all of this. If he REALLY wasn't feeling her like that why didn't he tell her? He obviously knew what Molly was doing so why not just be honest? Why go along with it until they got in public and tell her "It looked like you needed a win."

The phone convo. He was passive as hell. Just tell her I DON'T WANT TO GO.

I'm sooo slow :lol: At first I thought this thread was about being on Molly, the drug. I read the comments and saw that wasn't the case. Then I thought OP was referring to Molly Ringwald from sixteen candles until I started reading names like Jidenna and successful Black man! I reread the OP and must have missed when she said the show Insecure :lol:

Reactions: JFK
why did I just realize he's the one who sings "Classic Man"? lol. Why are you mad at him? He was totally right about Molly. She needed a win and he did her a favor. It was actually nice of him to look out for her like that.

I mean is there any room for error? Sheesh. I see why those men acted like that but so what. Thin skinned mitches. I'm still mad at Jidenna. :mad:

He charmed her & slept with her and then was acting like she was a charity case as if he didn't play a part. It's not like she was begging him. IDK Just rubbed me the wrong way.

she did beg him :lol: and was mad pushy. I think he was trying to be nice to her.

Too aggressive! This used to be the college me. I remember I told an ex what size ring I wore and what kind of ring I wanted....we had been dating like 6 months or so...

Too much...Too much....

I wanted to win so badly I didn't even pay attention to the journey...only the destination.
This really resonated with me.

With the Dr. and Jidenna there was an immediate shift in their perception of Molly as soon as she started being overbearing. The comment about not calling/texting when the Dr. made it in. With Jidenna it started with asking him to leave a suit at her house and then the THIRST about him coming to the engagement party. I was shocked that he actually came.

Ok I get that. All of that. But where is Jidenna's actions in all of this. If he REALLY wasn't feeling her like that why didn't he tell her? He obviously knew what Molly was doing so why not just be honest? Why go along with it until they got in public and tell her "It looked like you needed a win."

The phone convo. He was passive as hell. Just tell her I DON'T WANT TO GO.
Cause he want the cookie.....lol

Reactions: JFK
Back