Are there any naturals who DON'T rely on water as primary styling product?

choconillaprincess

Happy Thanksgiving ladies!!! i've been mia for a quite some time so its good to see all those pretty heads and faces!

My hair has gotten to a point where it is too long to wash n go everyday... it's too time consuming and is just not workin with my lifestyle... but it seems as tho that is all i kno cowash cowash cowash... are there any naturals out there who wash there hair say once a week(more or less) but DO NOT keep there hair in the same protective style between washes? protective styles are not for me i wear my hair all down in a puff or in a bun thats it

In theory i'd like to be able to wash my hair on sunday night wear it out monday in a bun tues and wed down again thurs etc etc all with MINIMAL WATER and drying time

I'm beginning to think my only option is braidouts with jumbo braids (see siggy) if that is my only option does anyone wear braidouts and/or twistouts on a regular basis?

any tips/techniques/suggestions? esp pertaining to keeping my hair moisturized

Thanks Ladies!!!
Rica.

you can take a water bottle and lightly spray your hair everytime you want to change your style. i wouldnt put my hair in a style without it being atleast a little damp.

last year when my hair was about 1/2 the length it is now, i did w-n-gos all winter, yes in the cold. but now it is too long so i wet bun and sit under a hooded dryer and keep it bunned all week then do it again.

i will flat iron about once a month for variety but since i exercise daily, i can't maintain flat ironed hair with perspiration.

i only lightly spritz with water if necessary to smooth down fly aways but for the most part, a very light film of KCCC will do the trick under a scarf while i'm getting dressed.

i also sleep in a scarf so that i won't get fly-aways.

I heart afroveda shea alma and curly custard as moisturisers and when doing my twists for twist outs with the afroveda whipped gelly. helps with the frizzes too.

My hair is between armpit and brastrap stretched, shoulder length when curly. After the first day of a wash n' go, I refresh by adding a few handfuls of water and smoothing using the method in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/user/kimmaytube#p/u/15/WNbu4zL_0Ws

I may emulsify some shea butter or oil between my hands before starting to smooth. My hair tends to shrink more and more the dryer it gets and this method really helps to elongate my curls. I can wear my hair down for 2 or 3 days and up for 2 or 3 days using this method.

Although this method still involves water, since my hair is also too long to wash daily it works for me!

Last edited:
i wash weekly and set my hair in medium twists. When they dry, I undo them and can style the twist out however I want throughout the week.

Alternatively, after washing I can blow dry to stretch and style the blow dried hair throughout the week.

In either case, these days I usually wear some sort of bun/ponytail/updo. But a twist out can be worn "out" for me.

I refuse to wash any more than once a week. I'm just not gonna do it. I have too much length to fool with doing all that. Whatever I do I make it last a week at least (rollersets, braid/twist-outs, wash n' go's). And water is not my primary styling product. I hate wetting my hair in cold weather so I'm not doing it.

Most of the time I do twist n' curls and retwist at night or I'll do rollersets. I can make my wash n' go last a week but it involves me dampening my hair daily and I don't wanna do that in the winter so I put that on hold until it warms up. If you don't mind wetting or dampening your hair it is possible to make it last.

thanks for ur responses! i'm really thinking i'll do braidout n rebraid nitely... poca wut is twist 'n curls

Alternatively, after washing I can blow dry to stretch and style the blow dried hair throughout the week.

mwedzi thats exactly wut i was tryin to do... u dont experience any dryness or other problems?

i'm tryin to stay away from rewetting altogether... thats how i do my hair now and i'm not pleased with the look or the inconvenience i hate walking around with wet hair

thanks for ur responses! i'm really thinking i'll do braidout n rebraid nitely... poca wut is twist 'n curls

mwedzi thats exactly wut i was tryin to do... u dont experience any dryness or other problems?

i'm tryin to stay away from rewetting altogether... thats how i do my hair now and i'm not pleased with the look or the inconvenience i hate walking around with wet hair

My hair doesn't feel that soft kind of moist that it does if you wet and moisturize, but I wouldn't say it feels bad. I put a moisturizer on before I blow dry, actually, and dry to about 90-95% dry. I don't moisturize throughout the week even when not blow drying, anyway. I use oil instead. It helps make the hair pliable, gives a little sheen, helps keep it from knotting as much, and doesn't cause shrinking up (which leads to knotting).

I live by wash n gos. I can get by with wash n gos once a week and wear my hair down for three days then either in a puff or bun for the remainder of the week and not re-wet at all between washes. I use elucence MBC mixed with coconut oil as a leave in and layer in long aid curl activator gel on top. However my hair gets fairy knots (the longer my hair gets the more knots) so I wash and detangle every 3-4 days to keep the knots away.

I don't use water to style my hair except when I'm wearing twists where I wet them to get them to hang right or to make them stretchable for a style I want to wear.

Otherwise if I'm wearing my hair out, I wash twice a week. Apply S Curl the day of the wash and then plait it for the night. For the two or three days before my next wash, I just undo in the AIM and comb out then plait at night and baggy. I don't wet my hair when wearing it out except on wash day.

Back