Are satin bonnets or pillowcases necessary to achieve long hair?

laurend

I got to thinking about buying a satin pillowcase because I've always read it's better for your hair. A lot you here use on and swear by it, however, I realized I've achieved long hair without it. Yesterday, I started posting on the "post pictures of beautiful 2 and 3's and bodacious 4's thread" and I came to a realization. Do you think the Wadaabe of the Sahara sleep on satin pillowcases to achieve their amazing hair lengths?

faces_p9.jpg
http://images.google.com/imgres?img...aabe&hl=en&rlz=1T4ADBR_enUS314US318&sa=X&um=1

I saw pictures of the Polynesian women with amazing thick hair and I said.
"these women don't sleep on satin pillowcases", and why waste my money.

SuperStock_1760-3244.jpg

However, if my hair were chemical altered like a relaxer or BKT, it would probably be wise to have one. What are your thoughts on this? I would like to hear other opinions.

Last edited:
Silk/satin doesn't make your hair grow so of course you can achieve great lengths without caps and pillowcase, but if your hair is prone to splits and breakage then it is a good idea to use them. Cotton sucks the moisture out of your hair and if you toss and turn a lot the hair doesn't just glide across cotton like it would across satin or silk so it increases the chance of breakage and splitting ends. I like doing search and destroys and not finding anything to destroy so for me, satin/silk caps and pillowcases are crucial for my long hair journey.

You're right. the best and fastest growth I ever got was during Army basic training and advanced individual training. I'm sure you can imagine the crappy sheets and pillowcases we were issued. What made the difference was exercising every day, protective styling every day and eating healthier. I went from "GI Jane" bald in February to SL in July.:yep:

I do sleep on a satin pillow now, but I'm older and I exercise less.

I dont think it's necessary, but I also doubt these exotic island women wear their hair loose when they sleep and neglect to moisturize. I mean, everyone knows what works for them... I think it's just important to learn what works for you... pillowcase or not

Silk/satin doesn't make your hair grow so of course you can achieve great lengths without caps and pillowcase, but if your hair is prone to splits and breakage then it is a good idea to use them. Cotton sucks the moisture out of your hair and if you toss and turn a lot the hair doesn't just glide across cotton like it would across satin or silk so it increases the chance of breakage and splitting ends. I like doing search and destroys and not finding anything to destroy so for me, satin/silk caps and pillowcases are crucial for my long hair journey.

Exactlllllly what I think! Dryer hair needs it for sure!

In my case I feel it is. Whenever I would sleep on a regular or flannel pillowcase I would always see little broken hairs in the fibers. I'm not good at keeping bonnets and scarves on my head so this allows my hair to slide across the pillow. I feel It's def. helped me retain length.

Last edited:

I agree.:yep: My hair retains more moisture now. Even in the winter.

Thanks for the replies. For me I think I'm going to stick with my cotton pillowcase because I don't see broken hairs and moisture is no problem. I just got to thinking, there are a lot of 3rd world people with long hair and they can't afford or care about satin bonnets. I feel long hair is really achieved through the kiss method or protective hairstyles especially with 3 and 4 hair texture.

Yep and the curlier your hair is than the more prone it is to dryness and porosity so you can't realy compare those ladies hair to someone with more texture.

I wonder how much moisture the Wadaabe put hair everyday especially since they live in the desert and water is not an abundant commodity?

It depends on hair type and texture. Afro hair doesnt get as much oil distributed throughout the shaft to the ends because of its kinks and coils, and since cotton absorbs moisture, it basically zaps all of the oil/moisture that is actually there.

People with straight hair dont experience this the same way. Dont forget, they wash their hair to get the oil out. We're always trying to lock oils in. They probably benefit from the cotton absorbtion.

With that said, I dont think its an absolute must. But if you're experiencing problems with retaining length, dryness, split ends, etc, that might be the first thing you want to change.

I wonder how much moisture the Wadaabe put hair everyday especially since they live in the desert and water is not an abundant commodity?

Couldnt we say their hair is used to it? They dont live where we live with issues like polution and hard water and messed up diets. If they have this hair in this climate, I'm sure they are used to it and their hair adapts well.

I'm relaxed and although I skip the satin pillowcase, wrapping my hair up in a silk scarf is a must for me at night. I'd continue to use it if I were natural too! It keeps my ends in check.

Last edited:
All I own are cotton pillowcases. I've never slept on anything else. However, I always wrap my hair at night. After finding LHCF I purchased several satin and silk scarfs, but prior I used a cotton scarf while working out and a nylon/polyester scarf for sleeping. I still use my cotton scarfs for working out as my hair sweats something fierce.

Oh yeah...I can honestly say I never noticed any noticeable breakage.

~Dee

Since finding LHCF I would not sleep on anything less than satin or silk. Now gone are the days when I wake up to find broken hairs all over my pillow case. I think that is a big factor in me retaining the length that I do have! Even if I go to a hotel, I will take my own pillow case!

great answers. I've been sleeping on cotton pillowcases and I never wrap my hair.
my hair is growing just fine...of course, I could be retaining more length if I slept on satin pillowcases

Well, we sleep on flannel and cotton sheets/pillowcases. The few times I've fallen asleep without my pillowcase or bonnet or satin saks, I could feel it the next day. I can see broken hairs on my pillow and my hair is bone dry.

It may also be the movement that the hair goes through while not being wrapped up. If you're someone that doesn't move a lot while you sleep, your hair might not go through as much manipulation against the cotton. I am a wild sleeper, so I know my hair gets "roughed up" a lot at night.

Yes, because you end up with less manipulation the next day for styling. For me, when I only slept on cotton and didn't wrap it up in satin, I would have dry hair the next day, and end up adding tons of grease to it and using extreme styling methods (vigorous brushing, high heat) to make it look "good". I think that's what made it break more. Now, if it's in a satin scarf, the next morning, all I need are a few caruso rollers steamed for a few minutes and the curl lasts all day. This morning, for example, my ends were already nice and smooth and not frayed from direct contact with cotton and I combed out the curls with my large toothed comb and just used the fine tooth for finishing touches.

For the past three weeks I've been sleeping in a real silk scarf. This is the first time ever in life that I've worn a silk scarf at night and I already see improvements. In my days prior I either wore one of those Christina polyester satin scarves or went without a scarf and tried to sleep in positions that would minimize putting my head directly on the pillow. These past few weeks I've been sleeping better and have less breakage. It's a keeper for me.

For the past three weeks I've been sleeping in a real silk scarf. This is the first time ever in life that I've worn a silk scarf at night and I already see improvements. In my days prior I either wore one of those Christina polyester satin scarves or went without a scarf and tried to sleep in positions that would minimize putting my head directly on the pillow. These past few weeks I've been sleeping better and have less breakage. It's a keeper for me.
When I had a Halle Berry cut, I used to sleep on my face with my forehead on my arms so it would last all week. I don't miss that at all!

Thanks for the replies. For me I think I'm going to stick with my cotton pillowcase because I don't see broken hairs and moisture is no problem. I just got to thinking, there are a lot of 3rd world people with long hair and they can't afford or care about satin bonnets. I feel long hair is really achieved through the kiss method or protective hairstyles especially with 3 and 4 hair texture.

:perplexed:
I have travelled alot across africa and asia. Alot of the local women braid their hair down and tie with good quality headscarfs, some even use old panty hose (to prevent the shaggy look in the morning). Plus they use hair oils like coconut oil and hair grease to retain moisture.

I think that's a rather simple way of looking at things. It'd be like saying people from 3rd world countries don't have treadmills or dvd players to work out to jillian michael's yet they're skinny so you shouldn't do these things either. The Wadaabe of the Sahara have different diets, lifestyles... I don't think it's wise to simplify it to just 'no satin pillow cases'. I think sleeping with a satin bonnet (among other things) is a necessary lifestyle adaptation here in modern non 3rd world usa.

I think that's a rather simple way of looking at things. It'd be like saying people from 3rd world countries don't have treadmills or dvd players to work out to jillian michael's yet they're skinny so you shouldn't do these things either. The Wadaabe of the Sahara have different diets, lifestyles... I don't think it's wise to simplify it to just 'no satin pillow cases'. I think sleeping with a satin bonnet (among other things) is a necessary lifestyle adaptation here in modern non 3rd world usa.

I feel a lot of women on this site would obtain long hair without it. So everyone should sleep with satin bonnets or just AA women?

From sleeping on cotton pillow cases, especially white ones, I could see all the broken hairs on my pillow in the morning. So I'd say if your hair is prone to breakage (whether you're white, black...) then it's best to use a satin bonnet or pillow case at night to prevent that. The white girl with waist length hair at my job wears her hair in a bun and sleeps with it in that same bun with a satin bonnet for up to a week at a time. I think there are certain things that are universal for modern women with long hair.
Also someone recently told her to cut it into a cute bob, and her response was "are you crazy, it took me four years to get this hair" lol. I think sometimes we (black women) think it's harder for us but it's about the same for women across the board.

NOPE but they sure keep your hair nice and looking good, that I can say. If you can sew, it's cheap to make them yourself. :grin: I just like the luxury of the fabric, but my hair growth/retention has little to do w/ it.

Should AA women wear them as a specific group? :scratchchin: I don't see why. AA women, IMHO, have more issues from what they do after they get up rather than when they sleep, but 'putting up the hair" can't hurt anything, IMHO.

Last edited:
:perplexed:
I have travelled alot across africa and asia. Alot of the local women braid their hair down and tie with good quality headscarfs, some even use old panty hose (to prevent the shaggy look in the morning). Plus they use hair oils like coconut oil and hair grease to retain moisture.

shh, don't tell anybody, but I do this too. This is VERY handy under hijab where silk scarves "slip".

Since I have been sleeping in a satin cap my dry and flaky scalp has disappeared. I know for me it is working to retain the moisture in my hair and on my scalp.

Back