Are quick weaves "safe" protective styles?

glamgal198

I have an appointment at a salon to get a quick weave. It's not a, i guess, "average" quick weave. The salon is going to either wrap or braid my hair and put a wig stocking cap over my hair. Then they will be gluing tracks to the stocking cap, kinda like a custom wig type thing? I'm having bangs cut, and it styled cute so you know, i'm pretty excited. They told me it's supposed to last 2-4 weeks, and somehow they attach it to your head so it doesn't come off. I guess my question is, do you think this would be a good protective style? I'm kind of concerned my hair won't be able to be moisturized or breathe. do you think this could cause severe breakage? :perplexed

I don't know about the glue part. I imagine the glue is more damaging than anything.

Also, would you be able to moisturize your hair under the cap?

I'm not too concerned about the glue because it won't actually be in my hair, but on the wig cap. I'm just worried that i will not be able to take the wig cap off so i won't be able to get to my hair :ohwell:

glamgal198 said:
I have an appointment at a salon to get a quick weave. It's not a, i guess, "average" quick weave. The salon is going to either wrap or braid my hair and put a wig stocking cap over my hair. Then they will be gluing tracks to the stocking cap, kinda like a custom wig type thing? I'm having bangs cut, and it styled cute so you know, i'm pretty excited. They told me it's supposed to last 2-4 weeks, and somehow they attach it to your head so it doesn't come off. I guess my question is, do you think this would be a good protective style? I'm kind of concerned my hair won't be able to be moisturized or breathe. do you think this could cause severe breakage? :perplexed

Doesn't sound like a good protective style to me. You might as well get a sewn in weave, at least you would be able to somewhat get to your real hair to moisturize it and your scalp could breathe some.

I also don't like the idea of leaving that quick weave in for 4 weeks. If you do it and I don't suggest you do, the 2 week time should be the max in my humble opinion.

glamgal198 said:
I'm not too concerned about the glue because it won't actually be in my hair, but on the wig cap. I'm just worried that i will not be able to take the wig cap off so i won't be able to get to my hair :ohwell:

Oh I see. I know girls that had quick weaves and they took them off, now that I think of it. It really was just a custom made wig. I think you can safely proceed :lol:

I remember going to the salon and watching them do it on other people and it really seemed like the glue did get on their hair, so I would just be careful.

I don't think so.

My friend had something like that years ago. The stylist gelled her hair back and put the cap on top. Then she globbed more gel on the cap and sat my friend under the dryer.

After the gel hardened, the stylist glued the tracks on and styled the hair. My friend couldn't touch her scalp for two weeks. She used a hair pin to poke and scratch her scalp. My friend had a cute style, but she said all that gel made her hair brittle. She had lots of breakage.

I don't know if that's their technique, so please ask lots of questions before she starts.

:)

Last edited:
I have seen these done before and seen them done 2 ways. One used a stocking cap and it was glued on... The woman was free to take the cap off because the stylist actually put the cap on her head cut it her size and then took it off and made the wig on the manachin(sp) head. Then another way that I saw it done was with a weave net. It was sewed to the outer parts of the braids, and then the weave was sewn on the net. This one took less time to do but I am not sure of the price.

I would ask the stylist to explain the procedure and ask about maintaining your hair. Or make suggestions on how you want it done. If that doesn't work I would head over to the beauty salon, purchase a 1/2 wig for $30 bucks and call it a day...that is what I do..and I have longer hair instantly and its cute!

Back