Are Naturals out numbering Relaxed Heads on LHCF?

What is your hair?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Many women are opening their eyes to the versatility of natural hair. My mom had no clue that you can blow your natural hair straight and flat iron it to get a silky/ bouncy look of a relaxer. She saw so accustomed to the straightening comb and the really thick DAX hair grease resulting in that stick straight /stiff greasy look. When I showed her reniece's "bun drop" video she couldn't believe that she wasn't relaxed! My mom just did the big chop 4 days ago! lol

another thought....
when I was relaxed I spent $75 and up EVERY six weeks. My stylist worked for her money but after moving to an area with VERY few people that can do textured hair I find pleasure in my new indulgence ---WEN. I love the stuff and I don't feel as guilty in this economy now that I'm not shelling out money for someone else to do my hair.

My mom, a 3ish type thinks It's better for me (and 4 types) to relax. I think its a personal decision. Her comments used to bother me but now I joke right back. She can only dream about the body and thickness that I have. lol :grin:

Many women are opening their eyes to the versatility of natural hair. My mom had no clue that you can blow your natural hair straight and flat iron it to get a silky/ bouncy look of a relaxer. She saw so accustomed to the straightening comb and the really thick DAX hair grease resulting in that stick straight /stiff greasy look. When I showed her reniece's "bun drop" video she couldn't believe that she wasn't relaxed! My mom just did the big chop 4 days ago! lol

I didn't know this either.

You live and you learn, I guess.

Her hair is on a whole nother level :lol: Had me all on her site looking at prices

I have attempted to go natural several times over the last 15 years. The first time I BC'd at 3am the next morning my best friend started calling me Nippsy Russell. I think I lasted 2 weeks before I relaxed again.

Another time I just wore wigs and weaves so much a relaxer was pointless so I wasjust natural, but I didn't really do anything with my hair. the last time I went Natural, I was introduced to LHCF and finally learned how to care for my natural hair. So now I don't see myself returning to relaxers, even though now thanks to LHCF I know I would be able to care for my hair better relaxed or natural. But I really enjoy having the option to be straight when I want to be and froed out when I want to be!

NATURAL and loving it... i dont ever think i will return to relaxers... i didnt know why i was doing it and i HATED putting the chemicals in my head.... my natural hair is mangeble to me and i never even knew. i love it.

i have been natural for 9 months now. this is not a fad at all. i didnt have to transition mentally because this has alwasy been who i am. ive never had a bad exsperience with relaxers, no burns, no clumps falling out, and the process was easy. i still never liked getting my hair relaxed. i didnt see the point. and when i cut all my hair off to 1/2 -1 inch of hair that is the most ive ever felt beautiful. my hair is healthy, im learning, and when i look in the mirror i see me.

I voted natural. I've been natural twice before joining this forum. I always relaxed due to not having the knowledge of how to properly take care of natural hair. My mom was serious about our hair being laid at all times. I had a steady 2 wk appt with a hair dresser. Up until I graduated and moved from home. Upon entering college I was more free to be myself and express my individuality. But being natural was sho' nuff a different experience. And being someone that's never taken care of her own hair, I had no experience styling or detangling what so ever. Also there weren't any stylists really willing to work with natural hair at that time. So I always relaxed after about 2 yrs. Cause then my hair was simply just too unmanageable to me. But, stumbling upon this site was one of the best things that could've happened to me. Now armed with the knowledge of how to properly care for my 4a cottony, coily hair; I have embarked upon this natural journey once again. This time it'll be for LIFE! LHCF helped make what I envisioned for myself turn into a reality. I lurked for a long time as a non paying member. I just want to say THANK YOU to anyone that has ever posted a progress or comparison pic. I do think that LHCF is evenly represented. There are just as many wonderful relaxed/texlaxed heads of hair as there are natural. IRL I notice natural heads more now. But, there is a still a huge disparity between the two. For every 1 natural I see in real life i see well over 50+ relaxed heads. I think that is why Naturals are posting more, because we can offer each other support and encouragement. Something that is hard to find IRL.

Last edited:
Relaxed here. But thinking about going natural. The last time I had my hair relaxed, she did it bone straight and I am NOT FEELING IT.

I went natural because over the last 2yrs my lifestyle had started to change. I started caring more for my body and what I put on and in it. Eating cleaner, juicing and yoga all helped me move towards going natural. Plus unsuccessful relaxers, time, money and putting things off because of "bad hair days" I really do luv being natural and the variety of styles I can do. Im still fresh in the game so things might change a few months from now. But I can honestly say no regrets as I loved my relaxed hair when I was having "good hair days" haha!!

I think going natural IS a fad right now. This lady that I work with, two of her granddaughters are going natural now. She said that they told her all the girls at their college are doing it, it's the thing to do. BUT the grandmother did say she told them for a while they need to quit putting that stuff in their head (chemicals) and be proud of who they are. BUT I'm unsure if they understand the concept because the grandmother also said that one of them has a "good grade" of hair and her hair is straighter already ??? and one of them put rollers in her hair one sunday for church took them out and picked out the hair. And she shared with them that they're just doing what she did when she was younger like it was a phase..So...I dunno...

Im transitioning and not looking back.

We are BCing my mothers hair tonight. I wouldn't have thought in a million years that my mother would be natural.

I have noticed the "FAD" I have seen a lot more sista in comercials with natural hair. I think it is a fad for some, however for woman with some seasoning in their years (like me:lachen:) It could be more about a lifestyle change and less about who else is doing it:grin:

I think going natural IS a fad right now. This lady that I work with, two of her granddaughters are going natural now. She said that they told her all the girls at their college are doing it, it's the thing to do. BUT the grandmother did say she told them for a while they need to quit putting that stuff in their head (chemicals) and be proud of who they are. BUT I'm unsure if they understand the concept because the grandmother also said that one of them has a "good grade" of hair and her hair is straighter already ??? and one of them put rollers in her hair one sunday for church took them out and picked out the hair. And she shared with them that they're just doing what she did when she was younger like it was a phase..So...I dunno...

I'm transitioning again. I was natural for a year, then I relaxed again. I have been relaxed about 8 months, and I miss my natural hair so much. I can't wait to big chop again. My avatar is from my first big chop, and I plan on chopping again in a few months.

I think for some it’s a fad and for others it’s a new level of awareness--on the boards and off. There are definitely more naturals/transitioners on LHCF than they were back in 04-05, I see that as a good thing. :grin: For me it’s definitely not a fad, the main reason I went natural is because I realized I can manage and style my hair just fine sans relaxer, thanks to hair forums/sites like LHCF, NP and MotownGirl. It’ll be 3 years this July since I’ve been natural, I love my hair natural and I will remain natural for life.

I voted "natural" in the poll but I have some relaxed ends left that I plan to cut off this weekend. It's been 2 years and 5 months since my last relaxer.

I decided to go natural to see what my natural texture is like and what I can do with it. When I first joined this site I had no plans to go natural. I originally came here for info on long healthy relaxed hair. Now I come here for info on long healthy natural hair.

i think it will be really hard to get an accurate count...aside from the 100s of lurkers, aren't texlaxed and relaxed the same thing?

and if you're transitioning aren't you considered relaxed until you're relaxer-free? (at least for the purposes of finding out who is relaxed and who isn't)

i don't know...

i think it really depends on what you consider "relaxed" and "natural"

PerfectScore, I didn't know you had BC'd! Heck I didn't even know you were transitioning! Congratulations!!!!

thanks!!!!:grin: Yep, I was transitioning quietly... I was spending so much time in the ENT and OT threads that I didn't really talk much bout my hair. :lachen:Basically I did one 6 month stretch then transitioned.... then did another 6 month stretch that turned into a almost year long transition...basically I BC b/c i was frustrated with my hair always looking like crap. I find transitioning to be the worst of both worlds... its def a love hate relationship with all the million texture of hair on your head. I was loving the curls I felt, but hating how the curls and the relaxed hair were getting tangled.... so I traded in a crappy, frizzy, nappy pony tail with straggly relaxed ends for a fierce, moisturized, thick curly afro! It's crazy how my hair instantly looked and felt healthier once I took those relaxed ends off.

That being said I do love the look of relaxed hair. I def think I would look amazing with a healthy head of relaxed hair, but the up keep on relaxed was way too much for my lifestyle. I'm way too lazy and cheap to properly care for relaxed hair and keeping it looking nice and styled. But for all those women with healthy relaxed hair, you still have a fan in me. I will still be stalking your Fotkis.... :look:

I completely agree. We'll be the last two relaxed heads on LHCF lol. There are alot of beautiful heads on LHCF with relaxed and natural hair. Some naturals have me very tempted to transition then I spend 2 hours combing out my son's MBL(if it was straight) natural curls and completely change my mind. But I love his natural hair just as much as my relaxed hair.

Do you have pictures of your son's hair? MBL natural curls sounds amazing.... :yep:

I went natural unintentionally. I originally just decided to take a year off from chemicals including relaxers while I was preg. I wore lace fronts during that time. After a year I noticed I had more THICK healthy hair than I had ever seen. I thought about all the money, time and heat that was involved with relaxed hair and decided to try life without all of that.

While I don't have any more relaxed hair I sill have a lot of learning to do. I spent time trying to get a decent twist out technique but I got discouraged and flat ironed too much this summer.

I'm wigging it for the winter and will go back to learning more about my natural hair this summer.

I def think I would have gone natural as soon as I got pregnant. Especially now that I'm taking an infancy psychology class.... the fetal environment really sets the tone for the rest of babies life. I would def want to be holistic whilst pregnant... now my mom had natural child birth for both my brother and I... let's see if my holistic ambitions stay strong in the face of epidural and pain :perplexed

Relaxed head checking in!!!
I love your hair in your siggy pic

haha wow, i was expecting perfectscore to be relaxed.. the BC looks beautiful

I have been quoted saying I'd be relaxed for life :yawn: oh well... hahaha.

In real life I seen an inflation of weaves, braids, and twist which could mean that's just a style or they are transition to natural. I haven't seen too many BW with natural hair and I live in a mecca of diversity. When I was natural I rarely seen BW then with natural hair which I kind of liked because I love being unique, but now that I'm texlaxed I still don't see more naturals walking around. I think since we are members on here we think it's the norm, but outside our little secret society we are still the minority.
I'm def being a little selfish in my thoughts because I've noticed a lot of beautiful naturals on campus and I hate it! :wallbash: I want to be the only natural so I can be unique and fabulous! haha Seriously though I have thought that I wanted everyone in the world to have jacked up hair but me :look:...... Then I snap out it knowing that my natural/ healthy hair journey only began because I was inspired and supported by others! :yep:Without LHCF I don't think I would have been so enthusiastic about going natural.... or even thinking about being natural to begin with. You ladies have inspired me, educated me, and supported me, and I thank you for this community!

All the black friends I hang around with are relaxed but on campus there's alot of naturals. However I'm usually only the natural headed person in my class. So relaxed ladies still dominate. I like seeing hair of all types so I'm not complaining in the least.

Oh I'm natural. There's my census contribution for the year.

I've noticed a lot of naturals on campus too. I def think my campus supports ideas of diversity and one is not ostracized for not fitting into a narrow idea of beauty. I feel like since college is a time of finding oneself there is no better time to do something dramatic to your hair.

Back