Are hair magazines worth it?

Are hair magazines usefull??

• yes, I read them

Votes: 25 16.7%
  • no, they are useless

Votes: 125 83.3%

• Total voters

cutiebe2

I was just in the supermarket looking at mags such as Black Hair, Braids, etc. I don't rellay know if they are worth buying or if their tips are correct. One article said shampooing is the most essential part of hair washing:nuts:
Does anyone else use these magazines for hair advice? Do you have one that you think is worth buying?

I haven't read a hair magazine in years. Last time I did it was pretty useless though. Full of people with extensions styled into all sorts of weird and wonderful shapes. Shapes that aren't natural for a head of hair.

I agree, total waste of money. I usually look through them for ideas but not for hair care tips. They always give the wrong information or lie about how looks are really created. Man, just say its a weave!

Gosh, I havent bought/looked at a hair mag in ages.... but I used to enjoy looking at Black Sophisticate just for the pics. It was a cool way to get ideas for new styles. I also enjoyed looking at the pretty celeb ladies. I always took their tips for healthy hair with a grain of salt though, even before i embarked on this hair journey and REALLY learned what the deal was.

I think they are a complete waste of money. I used to spend my hard earned babysitting money on them when I was a teenager and didn't know any better.

Most of the styles are outdated, ridiculously over the top, and/or done on FAKE hair. I admit that they have gotten *slightly* better with the advice, but you can get better information here for FREE.

I will thumb through one if I'm in the grocery store and one just happens to be right in front of me. Otherwise, I wouldn't bother. You can get free and CORRECT information right here.

All they talk about is weaving and braiding which are two things i am not into. SO for me, no they are not useful.

They hardly give product recommendations either!

I may be one of the few members here who goes to the hairdresser on a regular basis so I pick up a magazine every now and then for style ideas. My hair is a little too long to mimick alot of the hairdos in them, however. Still, I like to buy them every once in a while. I rarely follow the haircare advice in them though. I'm doing fine enough without it.:)

Useless isnt even a good word for it :mad: . I swear thats why i am working on coming out with my own. A LHCF magazine would be great...hmmm...

MizAvalon said:
I think they are a complete waste of money. I used to spend my hard earned babysitting money on them when I was a teenager and didn't know any better.

Most of the styles are outdated, ridiculously over the top, and/or done on FAKE hair. I admit that they have gotten *slightly* better with the advice, but you can get better information here for FREE.

I will thumb through one if I'm in the grocery store and one just happens to be right in front of me. Otherwise, I wouldn't bother. You can get free and CORRECT information right here.

I REALLY agree with the bolded. I'm like, is this 2006, or 1806??? :confused:

No, they are hardly worth it, but that doesn't stop me forking over dough to get them. I have slowed way down though. The hair tips are truly awful. The last one I got was a "Weaves" one because they had instructions on how to do a "Nettie" braid a la Mary J. Blige.

well i can't say they are totally useless because i used to buy them and take it to my hair stylist if there was something i wanted to mimic. i usually left them at the salon. but all too often the pictures of the hair looked greasy and stiff. the interviews were fluff. and not informational.

Not worth it...too many weaves, wigs, stiff hair styles, and not enough natural hair.

I like soft hair styles with movement. I find myself buying white mags for hairstyles, because I can't find it in black mags.

-tru

If you're into wearing weaves all the time, then these magazines are great.

If you're into growing and maintaining healthy hair, then these magazines are useless.

StartinOvah said:
well i can't say they are totally useless because i used to buy them and take it to my hair stylist if there was something i wanted to mimic. i usually left them at the salon. but all too often the pictures of the hair looked greasy and stiff. the interviews were fluff. and not informational.

My feelings exactly! They can possibly be good for finding a style, but not much else. To me, they are just vehicles for products to be advertised.:ohwell:

cutiebe2 said:
I was just in the supermarket looking at mags such as Black Hair, Braids, etc. I don't rellay know if they are worth buying or if their tips are correct. One article said shampooing is the most essential part of hair washing:nuts:
Does anyone else use these magazines for hair advice? Do you have one that you think is worth buying?
As long as there are web sites like the LHCF, I don't think one needs to invest in those magazines (unless they want to for the pictures). I certainly wouldn't buy it for the tips. No way. No how.

I still buy Sophisticates..but i have cut way back...when i first discovered hair mags...i had every one of them...now i only buy Sophisticates...but i do agree with what everyone is saying that the advice on hair and skin sucks...some of the celebrity style info is repetitive...because just like on LHCF everyones hair,skin etc is different...im going to start cutting back and not buying them..because it is expensive to buy it for 5.00 a month x 12 months(not including double issues) 55.00 to 60.00 a year for a magazine...

I think they are useless for information in general.

But I do buy them because I like looking at different styles. I've actually gotten some ideas for my protective styles from those magazines.

I no longer read them thinking they are going to help me grow my hair long...like I used to think. Every once in a while they have a good tip...but nothing you wouldn't learn on this forum.

i used to read hype hair and other hair magazines. they're not really helpful when it comes to haircare. i bought them solely for the hairstyles

They suck and honestly how you gonna talk about hair health when 75% of the chicks in the mag are wearing a lacefront :lol:

Totally useless. all of the styles are over the top. nothing that you can wear to work, or nothing that you would want to wear anyways. and they are mostly weaves. And as far as the advice...ive never seen anything good. Plus with all of the advertisers, it's hard to figure out what product is truly good versus what product is getting the spotlight simply because they paid the quota for that spotlight.....

I love hair mags because I like looking at the hairstyles and reading the celebrity hair articles. Before I found hair boards I learned what I could from these magazines. Now days they have wayyy to many weaves in there!

They are somewhat useful for me b/c it's one of the best means I have for showing my stylist what I want her to do. I only get them for the pictures.

For most general hair mags you only need to buy them once every 6-12 months. Every other month its just recycled styles and most of the natural styles, tho good for ideas, have added hair. I did just subscribe to naturally you mag. http://www.naturallyyoumagazine.com/

I'm hoping it will be different. I've been eyeing them over a year now, waiting for that 15.00 a year special to come back up, but it hasnt so I gave in and paypaled the 20 bucks. Its only 4 issues a year but I have consistently seen the features and wish I had had the issue, so hopefully I wont be disappointed.

There is this site also related to the mag:
http://naturallyyoumagazine.blogspot.com/

They have a yahoo group I am a member of but I rarely check it out. When I first joined it wasnt very active, I dont know if that has changed or not.

Back