Are Any Naturals Still Wash and Go'ing Now That It's Getting Cooler?

Are You Wash and Go'ing in the Fall/Winter Months?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Janet'

I know that many naturals do not like Wash and Go's because of SSKs, tangles, etc. However, for me, once I learned how to detangle, wash and go's have been instrumental in helping me retain as much as I have retained...This is my first winter wearing my hair naturally (I was a straight haired natural for 4.5 years or so), so I'm wondering if I can continue to Wash and Go...Maybe I'll add a hat, or put my hair in a ponytail ...or maybe I should try diffusing...I'm interested in your thoughts, suggestions, or even alternatives (as I cannot cornrow or flat twist myself).

I also know that many naturals use this opportunity to wear their hair straight because of the cooler weather, so I know that I am going against the grain:drunk:

Thanks Ladies,

Last edited:
I wear wash n go's all year round. I live in a mild winter climate. I also don't get sick with a wet head. If you live in a cold climate area you could use cold/cool air diffuser so you don't go out with wet hair.

I just go out with wet hair (even when I had a relaxer and I'd cowash) because I wash my hair every morning for the most part. If you're concerned, just diffuse or blowdry on cool or low heat in the morning.

I've been doing the wash and go for a very long time but in a couple of weeks I'm getting my hair braided. Now that I'm actually retaining some length I'm seeing too many SSKs for comfort.

I live in NYC and am prone to colds and upper respiratory infections. I can only wash and go during warm or hot weather. I usually do lots of two-strand twists and may add extensions or other fake hair to the mix this year.

rockstar, you hair is beautiful!
Did diffusing happen to make you WnG last longer? I can't imagine diffusing every morning..

I've mostly been wearing ponytails since it's gotten colder, and while it is still wet when I leave in the morning it's not on my neck/clothes so it's not too bad. I also don't like how big WnG's look with my winter style. :lol:
This is my first winter with natural hair too, last year I also straightened.

So can you use the diffuser on hair that is prone to frizz? I am worried my hair will be one ball of hair after I diffuse.

I plan to wash at night, put my Carefree on to keep it moisturized, then reapply alittle in the A.M. to refresh my curls. I don't know if that's RIGHT but that's what I plan to "try". LOL Its working thus far.

I plan to carry on my wash and goes. I recently bought a diffuser so I use that to dry my hair because I do get cold if I leave the house with a wet head.

I plan to alternate between wng and braid outs...I luv my wngs..but I seem to be prone to colds lately..so I needed an alternative..and my hair hates heat..so when I started diffusing (even with a heat protectant) I was seeing splits and breakage..so either i go out with a wet head or braid outs..This week has been braid outs..but I'm missing my WNG..so Idk what next week will bring..

ETA: last winter I wore a wig all winter..I missed my hair like crazy so I will not be doing that this winter..

Last edited:
I've still been doing it and I have to cowash after a couple of days cause my hair feels a bit dry and starts to get fuzzy but I sit under a tabletop dryer on warm for about 20 mins or so and then I might diffuse a bit so I don't have damp roots in morning.

last year even through the snow storm i co washed everyday. i hate protective styles.
the only reason im going into protective styles(just twisting my own hair) this winter is because i feel like i need a break from my everyday routine. but for the most part i co wash and wear it out everyday. and i never diffuse.
it has helped me retain my growth and its my go to style.

I've still been doing it and I have to cowash after a couple of days cause my hair feels a bit dry and starts to get fuzzy but I sit under a tabletop dryer on warm for about 20 mins or so and then I might diffuse a bit so I don't have damp roots in morning.

Your hair!!! Girl :worship2:

I'm liking this thread Janet'.....taking notes:D

Yes ma'am, this will be you in the not-to-distant future!

Janet, how are you reducing your tangles and SSKs whilst wearing your wash and go's ?

TIA :)

I use a leave-in and a paddle brush/denman to detangle and define my curls...

Thanks for this thread.

Janet... what are you doing that makes your wash n gos work well for retaining length?
I love wash and gos, but I am worried they are not best for gaining length. I don't gets SSKs or tangles, however. My hair does seem to get "dry" feeling faster though.

As for cold weather. This is the first week down here, really. I did a wash and go last Friday, and I haven't washed my hair since due to the cold weather. I wear my hair in two french braids a lot... today I wore a donut bun.

I'm looking forward to more of the replies in this thread.

I chose "other" because it's a last resort for me. I did lots of wash`n`go's last fall/winter and it resulted in lots of split ends. I'm plan to keep my hair stretched (in braids or twists) and under beanies, scarves, etc. this fall/winter.

So can you use the diffuser on hair that is prone to frizz? I am worried my hair will be one ball of hair after I diffuse.

I plan to wash at night, put my Carefree on to keep it moisturized, then reapply alittle in the A.M. to refresh my curls. I don't know if that's RIGHT but that's what I plan to "try". LOL Its working thus far.

I don't know how this would work over night... but...

The cutest wash and go I ever had was last Thursday. I had washed my hair that morning and instead of wearing it down, I'd braided it in one french braid in the back while it was still wet. I went most of the day like that, and when I got home I pulled it down and I had THE most defined cute curls ever. I even wore my hair down when I went to water aerobics because it was so perfectly cute.

Thanks for this thread.

Janet... what are you doing that makes your wash n gos work well for retaining length?
I love wash and gos, but I am worried they are not best for gaining length. I don't gets SSKs or tangles, however. My hair does seem to get "dry" feeling faster though.

As for cold weather. This is the first week down here, really. I did a wash and go last Friday, and I haven't washed my hair since due to the cold weather. I wear my hair in two french braids a lot... today I wore a donut bun.

I'm looking forward to more of the replies in this thread.

LadyRaider,

I make sure I apply an ample amount of moisturizer (leave-in, water, and EVOO) and for me it's a very low-manipulation style. I am not touching it and I lose minimal hair through detangling (one good time at the beginning of the week). I may have to use the brush to define a few curls in the back, but for the most part it is the ultimate low-manipulation hair style...thus I retain...

Great thread, Janet! I used to wash n go all winter with no problem. I had a TWA then. I am definitely looking forward to the future of having longer natural hair. The greatest thing is if my WNG turned into a wash N :nono: I just throw on my trusty braid wig and call it a day.:lol:

Last year I co washed everyday, this year I've only been co washing 1 to 2 days a week. On the days I co wash I use a diffuser. Other than that I use a moisturizing spray to refresh my wash n gos.

I'm going to be doing wash n'goes all winter and into the next year because it's what my hair loves. I could do 2 ponytails at night and spritz in the morning to keep a wash n'go for a week, but I'm too lazy for that. I'm in the shower everyday anyway, so why not get my hair wet? I don't get any head colds from leaving the house with a wet head everyday :grin:. One thing I did find out recently is that my hair loves to be drenched with water and simply sealed or moisturized with leave-in :yep:. I've done this for the past 2 days, essentially doing a rinse n'go, and my hair's been super-duper soft. My guess is that it gives the natural oils in my hair a chance to move down the hair shaft. But I dunno :spinning:. I'm going to experiment next week with doing 2 cowashes (1 to detangle) and rinsing for the rest of the week.

I'm starting to alternate wash and gos with stretched hair :rolleyes: I'm finding that I don't need to re -wet my entire head to achieve the same look. If I go in the shower and only co-wash the bottom half of my head it dries within an hour and I dont have wet roots...the roots are what takes the longest for my hair to dry.

rockstar, you hair is beautiful!
Did diffusing happen to make you WnG last longer? I can't imagine diffusing every morning..

I've mostly been wearing ponytails since it's gotten colder, and while it is still wet when I leave in the morning it's not on my neck/clothes so it's not too bad. I also don't like how big WnG's look with my winter style. :lol:
This is my first winter with natural hair too, last year I also straightened.

Thanks Grand Prix! I only wash and diffuse my hair once a week. I wear it out for 3 days, pony tail for 2 or 3 days, then bun 1 or 2 days.

To preserve the WnG look, I pineapple my hair like Taren916 from youtube. Basically you pull your hair in a loose pony tail on the very top of your head by your hairline and forehead. You look like a unicorn. Not all of my hair is long enough for this super high pony tail. I then put my satin bonnet on. Whatever isn't long enough, I smooth in an upward position and place the bonnet over top.

In the morning I do spray my hair LIGHTLY. I don't saturate it, but I do provide some moisture. If there's a frizzy area I use Eco Styler Olive Oil Gel.

This is *hopefully* will be my first winter with natural un-straightened hair!!

Since I recently big chopped I was so anxious to try a wash and go and did one last week. My hair took years and tears to dry. Even after using the blow dryer, I guess I missed some spots. It started getting cool last week so I knew then I wouldnt be washing and going anywhere until April! Plus I wanna obtain more length before I do this style again! My hair shrank to chin length with this method lol!

Janet,
Are you worried about your ends brushing your neck/shoulders? Or do you think the curled ends remedy this?

My hair loves Coco Creme Leave In. If I do it right, that's all it needs. No gel. However, a student recommend I try baby oil gel and see how that works. And like I said, most of the time my hair is pretty dry by the evening.

^^^Well, now that my hair is getting longer, I have begun wearing it in wash n go pony's if that makes any sense...Looking at my siggy is where my hair stopped in August...Attached is where it now stops, so I have resorted to the other attached pic because I don't want to be counterproductive. I was a SL lady for years because I didn't put 2 and 2 together that my hair was brushing against my shoulders and clothes! Good point, LadyRaider!!!

Park's Edge 005.jpgFamily Dinner Amiyah's Wedding 006.jpg

Back