APL 2012 Challenge

Any ladies excited to be able to claim APL by the end of this challenge?? I know there's a few of you guys that were REALLY close at our last length check. Can't wait to see!

I'm really hoping I'll be able to claim it at end of the challenge. I started taking a new supplement in October and it seems to have made a real difference in the amount of new growth I have. Now I just have to stay on top of my ends so my stylist won't want to go scissor-happy when I go for my touch up. APL, here I come! :yep:

Second week with a blow-dried-bun. New location and I was inspired to add a cornrow. Not as many compliments as the high bun but it'll work for this week. Trying to figure out next week's style since I'll be traveling...

Attachments

• image-1908236495.jpg
    image-1908236495.jpg
    388.5 KB · Views: 30
shortdub78 said:
i have never tried those, but i was just watching a video on bantu knots! :lol:

Girl Bantu knots are my very best friend. I get many compliments thru out the day and I have many people wanting me to knot theirs hoping to achieve the curls I get. Love it lol

Ok so I've been truly stressed out with grad school and today I found out I had an overactive enlarged thyroid (thyromegaly) and me being an extremist first thought omg if I need hormone meds my hair is gonna fall out I'm not going to reach my goal?!?!?! This little scare yes little because it could be cancer Im 31 and cancer doesn't have target age or face anymore these days esp for black women just made thank God for my health and think about my health and taking better care of me not just what's aesthetically pleasing to the eye ie. long hair but my internal health so I'm researching and trying to figure out a better diet I don't eat alot of fast food but I snack (pretzels chips cookies ) and I need to do better with my processed food intake and supps and workouts that will help with stress overload, that was so long but I feel like I can talk to y'all the best in this thread I've been a member over 5 yrs and I've never posted as much as I do in here

polished07 said:
Ok so I've been truly stressed out with grad school and today I found out I had an overactive enlarged thyroid (thyromegaly) and me being an extremist first thought omg if I need hormone meds my hair is gonna fall out I'm not going to reach my goal?!?!?! This little scare yes little because it could be cancer Im 31 and cancer doesn't have target age or face anymore these days esp for black women just made thank God for my health and think about my health and taking better care of me not just what's aesthetically pleasing to the eye ie. long hair but my internal health so I'm researching and trying to figure out a better diet I don't eat alot of fast food but I snack (pretzels chips cookies ) and I need to do better with my processed food intake and supps and workouts that will help with stress overload, that was so long but I feel like I can talk to y'all the best in this thread I've been a member over 5 yrs and I've never posted as much as I do in here

:bighug: there are a few members here with thyroid problems and on meds. I would do a search for you, but I'm on my phone. Hope you get better soon.

Sent From My Pheauxne

I hope u feel better. I have/had an over active thyroid caused by graves disease. I did the radio iodine therapy (radiation in tablet form, small amount), initially I had a lot of shedding, but after a couple of months the shedding stop. The only time I shed a lot is when they switch my meds. Did ur docs say how they were going to treat it?

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch Q using LHCF

polished07 said:

Hypo active thyroid, hashimoto's thyroiditis can produce an enlarged thyroid. Treatment may increase ur growth. I think the main thing is to get ur levels normalized whether u have hyper or hypoactive condition. The initial treatment for hyper might be radioactive iodine but eventually u'll be put on thyroid hormone supps and u shud level out. Good luck... Let's all pray that it's not cancer.

Feel better. It sounds as if you have a good plan already, and you being scared is totally normal. Wishing you all the best for your health and hair goal.

polished07 you know your APL family has your back and will support you in any way we can. Sounds like a few of the ladies here can relate to exactly what you're going through. Stay strong and I hope you feel better! :bighug:

polished07 hope all is well. I know this may not be what you're looking for, but your post reminded that I need to be sure to get active about other things beyond hair. Your diet plan sounds good and I think I will look at my own diet plan too

*poof*

Claiming it!

I ended up taking my sew in down at only 5 weeks, but I"m going right back soon.

Hair is slightly bent on the left from a crooked wrap. I need a trim, but since I'm wearing sew ins, I'll wait.

Last edited:
Thanks soooo much for all of your kind words! I got blood drawn yesterday for tests and I still have to actually get an ultra sound and see the endocrinologist but in the mean time I'm gonna stay prayerful that everything is ok! I'm gonna go to my moms herbalist too to see what he comes up with just gotta take better care of myself for sure!

pelohello said:
I hope u feel better. I have/had an over active thyroid caused by graves disease. I did the radio iodine therapy (radiation in tablet form, small amount), initially I had a lot of shedding, but after a couple of months the shedding stop. The only time I shed a lot is when they switch my meds. Did ur docs say how they were going to treat it?

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch Q using LHCF

Idk just yet I went in because I was feeling like a lump was always in my throat and I could feel it when swallowing and I asked my classmates (RN's) just out the blue and they pointed out how my thyroid was protruding I didn't even pay attention to it so I went and got it looked out now were doing tests to see what's up thanks so much for the info :-)

Finally got all my henna rinsed out my head today and then DC and blow dried my hair on low. I cant wait to flat iron it at the end of the month. Right now I am 9 weeks post texlaxed.....well, these are my results!

IMG_7071-vi.jpg

IMG_7074-vi.jpg

IMG_7076-vi.jpg

IMG_7096-vi.jpg

IMG_7092-vi.jpg

I've been on a hear kick lately so I decided to give my hair some TLC!

Yesterday started with ORS hair mayo, cowashed with mhc honey cut conditioner and ended with ORSR and avocado oil for about an hour no heat. Then put AE garlic mask on my scalp, wet bunned all day and then went to the salon for a flat iron. Whew that was a lot but my hair needed every bit!!!

Will post pics later. Got in pin curls right now.

Here's a pic of me having a good time in the salon. I still go to a Dominican salon but most of the straightening comes from the wet set. They barely use the round brush...,maybe I'm heat trained???

image-4060752178.jpg

Still in my kinky twist and I think I found the wig I want one straight one curly.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Attachments

• image-2234033196.jpg
    image-2234033196.jpg
    313.9 KB · Views: 41
  • image-1693814764.jpg
    image-1693814764.jpg
    375.1 KB · Views: 34
I think you may be heat trained jprayze. You get it straightened pretty often so your hair is probably used to the heat now.

Those are cute and very natural looking wig choices lexxi! I have a half wig that looks similar to the curly one.

It's Friday yall!!! :woot:

Got a very busy weekend ahead of me. Beach today. Ugly Christmas Sweater party tomorrow that I'm hosting. Beach again on Sunday. I'm in Celies now so I will probably rock them in pig tails at the beach with a headband and wear a Santa hat tomorrow for the party :lol:

Any plans this weekend ladies??

Back