Anyone wash their hair w/ rain water?

Miosy

Just curious because it poured yesterday so I put a bucket in my yard and have a gallon of rain water. I'm I the only nut here :grin:

Miosy said:
Just curious because it poured yesterday so I put a bucket in my yard and have a gallon of rain water. I'm I the only nut here :grin:

This is TOTALLY off topic. But, I have noticed more than a few ladies on here type the above bold words, "I'm I". I'm just wondering what is up with that, what does it mean? Did you mean to type "am I"?

Okay, on topic, since I'm up in here... nope, never tried rain water. I'm afraid that it may be dirty.

lol. OT: i see a lot of "I'm I" on the internet. I think i might have used rain water when i was younger and if i remember correctly, rain is hard water and doesnt rinse off shampoo easily.

Rainwater is acidic. It usually has a pH of 4.5-5. Because of urban runoff and other forms of pollution, rainwater is filled with junk. It is not a substitute for pure water.

The water out the faucet, just as bad... with a pH of 8-8.5 and is filled with calcium, flouride, and other nasty things that shouldn't be in water. Also, not a subsitute for pure water.

I guess my hair will suffer with or without either one. :ohwell:

This is such an interesting post becuase I myself have always wondered about the benefits of rainwater for the hair. A long time my former braider used rainwater on her hair and it was past bra-strap. She does not use anything else to rinse her hair.

Reading the subject line of your post I thought (at first) you were talking about the "Rain Water" product line. It's interesting that you ask this question, although I've never done it before. I honestly thought rain water would be too dirty!

Even though I'm natural, I avoid getting my hair wet in the rain because I feel its polluted.

Hi Miosy,

You are definately not crazy!!!! I collect rainwater and use it for my plants and also use it to rinse my hair after the conditioner and it leaves my hair really soft. I haven't done it within the last month or so. I am definately going to start again.

My bamboo plants are so beautiful and green. I know a lady at work who eldery mother collects rain water and her daughter tells me how her plants are so beautiful and when the elderly lady was younger she use to rinse her hair with rain water and tells me how her mother's hair was so beautiful and long when she was younger. Her mother's health is failing due to getting old and she doesn't rinse her hair anymore with the rainwater. I hope that answers your question.

Bri123

As a kid a family that lived in our hood washed their hair in rain water only and they had beautiful afros. Thick and pretty but of course no one used chemicals on their hair at that time. The press and curl was it.

I know this is an old topic, but does anyone else wash their hair with rain water? My mom swears by this but I've not tried it.

My mom used to when I was younger but not in recent years. You could always test the ph balance of it. And if you have a Brita filter (sp) you could filter it. After its filtered perhaps it would be similar to well water. (yes we have wells here :lol:)

Wouldn't it be difficult to rinse since rain water is very soft. I think that a balance between hard and soft water is optimal.

Back