Anyone Here With Hair Shrinkage Goals!

I don't even know. I haven't been feeling that well, so it's just been wash, deep cond, detangle, and pin it up without paying much attention.

Hey everyone,

I got married in July, went to Kauai for my honeymoon and am in the processing of MERGING households! :look: There are about 150 boxes to unpack and we won't even discuss furniture and cars, whew mercy. I apologize for the delay but you all seem to be keeping in touch which is wonderful.

As for progress, I have noticed that my hair did see some growth and I am sure that my hair only grows out not down. :drunk:

The braids are getting longer and I actually had some drama trying to braid to the end of my hair while I am in my protective style.

So there is change and it is positive.

Can anyone else chime in on their progress?

I wanna join. I'm currently at neck length unstretched and an a little past shoulder length stretched. My short term goal is to have unstretched hair that is the same length as my stretched hair. My ultimate goal is halfway between APL and BSL unstretched. I wouldn't care how long it is stretched if it was that long unstretched.

My hair seems to shrink more as it grows. I'll take pictures though just to see. I'd love my twists to be about APL.

^^ i get major shrinkage too with my twists but i've noticed that as the crown catches up, they're starting to hang sooooo much better!

i don't really know if i have shrinkage goals or not. stretched out it's about an inch away from armpit but it shrinks to the a little past neck or the very top of my shoulders.

i think i'd be perfectly content to have my shrunk hair reach armpit and my twists "should" lay nicely on my shoulders. i'm thinking it'll take about 2 years.

but, who really knows how much growing that's gonna take when shrinkage is a major factor :grin:

gotta love shrinkage LOL.

I wanna join. I'm currently at neck length unstretched and an a little past shoulder length stretched. My short term goal is to have unstretched hair that is the same length as my stretched hair. My ultimate goal is halfway between APL and BSL unstretched. I wouldn't care how long it is stretched if it was that long unstretched.

Then, welcome aboard! :) Keep in mind that for the purpose of this challenge we can have our hair in pony tails, pig tails, twists, braids, cornrows, box braids, locs, and the like, to measure as long as it isn't heat straightened.

Last edited:
This is wonderful we have a great group here.

I guess checking in around December will be the next step for everyone so we can see what has transpired regarding our shrunken length for the year.

So everyone, be sure to have a picture of your hair from January of this year or sometime in the winter months, in any of the styles mentioned earlier as long as it is your naturally shrunken length, in other words, no type of heat or chemical and then in December take another picture. You will need this as a comparison picture.

We will look at posting the two shots, the beginning of the month of December that first week, before the holiday season really gets under way.

We should post in this thread our jan 07 and dec 07 pics to see the difference.

God Bless Our Shrinkage!!!!!!!!!! Onward and outward and truly shrunken hair with the hair growth!

What a testimony and inspiration this thread will be in the coming years to those who are new and trying to find their way through this maze of natural hair with the amazing ability to shrink. Can you imagine how this would have really empowered us if we had something like this years before?

You all are truly pioneers and it is a pleasure being on this journey with you!

And just for some inspiration for those who may need it, take a look at this thread, it really is awesome.

View and enjoy!
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=136521

Last edited:
Thanks for keeping the challenge going mscocoface.:yep:

I have a question. I took a pic in July of my shrunken hair with no products whatsover. :nono: My hair is just now forgiving me.

When you say no chemicals, are you referring only to relaxer type chemicals or conditioners and gels too?

Thanks.

Thanks for keeping the challenge going mscocoface.:yep:

I have a question. I took a pic in July of my shrunken hair with no products whatsover. :nono: My hair is just now forgiving me.

When you say no chemicals, are you referring only to relaxer type chemicals or conditioners and gels too?

Thanks.

I am glad your hair is recovering. I mean only chemicals like the relaxer or texlaxing or even pressing the hair. We want to see what your bona fide kinky natural length is without that length being manipulated in any way. See my siggy below? Those are twists done but there is no relaxer or any manipulation of my hair to elongate the length.

Gotcha. I'll have to update my starting pics then.:yep:

I'm experimenting with some gels. I want to wear my hair out. I'm tired of the bun.:look:

This is wonderful we have a great group here.

We should post in this thread our jan 07 and dec 07 pics to see the difference.

God Bless Our Shrinkage!!!!!!!!!! Onward and outward and truly shrunken hair with the hair growth!

And just for some inspiration for those who may need it, take a look at this thread, it really is awesome.

View and enjoy!
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=136521

Whew! It's a good thing I've been taking one with my one braid in the back, or I would be in a mess for having the right kind of pic. :)

I love that thread! Oh yeah!! :D Especially the links in your last post.

I'm still here. My hair has definitely grown since May, but I'll have to sift through my fotki to find one from may, and then take a new one. I'll try to do that tonight.

I can say that my twist out in oct wasn't even touching my shoulders and barely my neck now it's resting there, and my twists have gotten a ton longer. Plus my bangs are growing out. They used to be about eyelength wet, and now they're to cheek length. When you factor in shrinkage that's good growth!

I'm still here. My hair has definitely grown since May, but I'll have to sift through my fotki to find one from may, and then take a new one. I'll try to do that tonight.

I can say that my twist out in oct wasn't even touching my shoulders and barely my neck now it's resting there, and my twists have gotten a ton longer. Plus my bangs are growing out. They used to be about eyelength wet, and now they're to cheek length. When you factor in shrinkage that's good growth!

You bet it is! Keep on growing, and growing, and growing. :)

I think we need to add this to our siggy's

Don't let the shrinkage fool you!
icon12.gif
:lachen:

It is growing under there.:look:

Okay people just checking on all you naturals to see what your shrinkage looks like. You can post this month or next.

As you can see in my siggy I am not sure how to estimate becuase it looks like my shrinkage has not changed. The longer it gets the shrinkage seems to be gaining strength! :ohwell:

I feel like my hair should be called a Transformer named Shrinkage. (Sorry just saw that movie the other night)

Well, let's see what you all have discovered. Please start posting.

Signed.

Transformer Shrinkage

Last edited:
I'd like to be a very full APL unstretched when I'm 100% natural.
My ultimate goal straightened is full BSL...
I have about 2 years to reach my unstretched goal
and about 9 months until I reach full BSL.
I'm transitioning, not doing any big chops just going
to keep it at full BSL by trimming every few months
until my natural hair gets to APL unstretched.

Ohweee!! I don't know how I missed this the first go round (must have been when I quit LHCF), but I'm SO in.

My overall goal is terminal. I'm HOPING (dreaming, yeah, yeah) of BSL two strand twists. I have a long, long, long way to go - but growing out natural hair is a slow and marvelous process.

Here are some pictures of my growth thus far.

November 06 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ August 07
291014996_be8ab00f95_m.jpg
1281293390_a312155c2d_m.jpg

Mind you, I cut off all the colored hair, between then and now.... so like I said, I've got a LONG way to go... :lachen:

I like the idea of quarterly checkins....

i was a couple inches below shoulder length with shrinkage, but i recently got a blunt cut , so im even at shoulder length with shrinkage...

hopefully i can get to at least underarm length unstretched by end of 2008 :)

My hair grows so much more "OUT" than it does "DOWN" so I don't have any hair "shrinkage" goals myself. I'd have to have a "width" goal instead of a "length" goal, LOL.

But anyways, I know I'm late with this but I just wanted to say I wish everyone luck in reaching their shrinkage goals. I'm going to be keeping an eye out in this thread for updates/inspiration :yep:

This sounds like the curly girl challenge. But I'm in. I want chin length unstretched hair and then ultimately shoulder length unstretched. I know it's going to take forever to get there though. :ohwell: I'm shooting for chin length unstretched a year from now. Is that reasonable?

ITA it does, but this challenge has more chck-ins, the curly girl is just every 6 months or more. I just can't check my natural length that often, but good luck ladies, you can do it.
curlygirl challenge link
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?p=2034752#post2034752

My shrinkage looks the same. I know that my hair has grown, but you can not see it. I am starting to feel down about my hair, especially since I am wear twist for the winter. I see no changes.

Ohweee!! I don't know how I missed this the first go round (must have been when I quit LHCF), but I'm SO in.

My overall goal is terminal. I'm HOPING (dreaming, yeah, yeah) of BSL two strand twists. I have a long, long, long way to go - but growing out natural hair is a slow and marvelous process.

Here are some pictures of my growth thus far.

November 06 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ August 07
291014996_be8ab00f95_m.jpg
1281293390_a312155c2d_m.jpg

Mind you, I cut off all the colored hair, between then and now.... so like I said, I've got a LONG way to go... :lachen:

I like the idea of quarterly checkins....

That's a lot of growth! It looks like you had 2 - 3 in of colored hair,
and it is longer than it was with the color. Great job!! :)

ETA: Mscocoface, I'll get my update pics in here at the end
of the month. :)

Last edited:
My shrinkage looks the same. I know that my hair has grown, but you can not see it. I am starting to feel down about my hair, especially since I am wear twist for the winter. I see no changes.

I feel your pain. Stay strong though girl. I was looking at mine and thought the same thing. I thought I needed glasses because I could not see anything. I can feel it but I couldn't see it.

That's a lot of growth! It looks like you had 2 - 3 in of colored hair,
and it is longer than it was with the color. Great job!! :)

ETA: Mscocoface, I'll get my update pics in here at the end
of the month. :)

No problem. Whenever you get them in that is fine.

ITA it does, but this challenge has more chck-ins, the curly girl is just every 6 months or more. I just can't check my natural length that often, but good luck ladies, you can do it.
curlygirl challenge link
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?p=2034752#post2034752

You can check in every 6 months if you want not a problem. We just wanted to help each other with this particular issue.

It is good to have company with this as you can surely imagine. The only time shrinkage is talked about is usually in a negative light, so this is a way to put some type of positive with it and in a group format.

Back