Anyone Here With Hair Shrinkage Goals!

I really want tailbone length unstretched, that should put me right at classic when stretched. Maybe within the next two years...:look:

silvergirl said:
id love ,.love to have waist length unstretched . it should take me about 2 more years to get to waist length stretched then 1-2 additional year to get there with shinkage.
thats 3-4 more years.. yikes..

I think we are exactly at the same point :lol: you started the transition in July 05' and I started growing out the hi-lites at the same time. I think our hair is exactly the same length :yep:

So, at first I couldn't really imagine what my hair would be like unstretched and long. But last night I had the most amazing vision of my hair, completely unstretched and about 2ins below shoulder length. So definitely count me in.

Dee Raven said:
So, at first I couldn't really imagine what my hair would be like unstretched and long. But last night I had the most amazing vision of my hair, completely unstretched and about 2ins below shoulder length. So definitely count me in.

Sounds like a wonderful vision, Dee. :)

Yup...if there is a challenge, count me in too! I want APL unstretched. I think anything more would be too much hair for me to deal with.

I would love to have a little below bsl natural hair but man, I think my hair would have to be down to my knees to get that!.....Seriously!

My unstretched goal would be just below my shoulders. I think that would make me bra-strap or even (hopefully) midback length stretched. I've still got a way to go though :(.

So we will check in 3 months from now in order for us to really see some difference with unstretched hair.

I imagine when showing your length you will need to do some type of style with braids, twists, twist out or braid out.

Make sure you have a current picture for your sites or journals so that you will be able to compare it within three months.

I am going to continue to use twists and keep a running comparision shot as noted in my siggy.

This sounds like the curly girl challenge. But I'm in. I want chin length unstretched hair and then ultimately shoulder length unstretched. I know it's going to take forever to get there though. :ohwell: I'm shooting for chin length unstretched a year from now. Is that reasonable?

mscocoface said:
So we will check in 3 months from now in order for us to really see some difference with unstretched hair.

I imagine when showing your length you will need to do some type of style with braids, twists, twist out or braid out.

Make sure you have a current picture for your sites or journals so that you will be able to compare it within three months.

I am going to continue to use twists and keep a running comparision shot as noted in my siggy.

Sounds good to me. My natural single braid from the May 1st start of session 2 of bootcamp will be my starting point pic. It's in my fotki.

im in... i want my twists/ twistout to be SL which will make me APL stretched? :confused: I will post pics of twists when i take out my micros ...

I have a shrinkage goal, I want waistlength hair unstretched I wanted to be there by december 31 2009 but I don't think it's going to happen so I'm aiming for december 31, 2010. That's a long time:ohwell:

bmoreflyygirl said:
This sounds like the curly girl challenge. But I'm in. I want chin length unstretched hair and then ultimately shoulder length unstretched. I know it's going to take forever to get there though. :ohwell: I'm shooting for chin length unstretched a year from now. Is that reasonable?

If the pic in your siggy is current, it is absolutely reasonable. :)

Great thread/challenge! I don't really know how long it will take me to reach my unstretched goal of APL but what the hell, since I'm documenting anyway go head and add me to the list please. I'll probably do twistouts though. I think just airdrying my hair and doing nothing would ALWAYS result in the same size fro for me regardless of how long my hair got.

Actually it's interesting, I think my stretched goal is between BSL and Mid Back... but I have a feeling that as much as my hair shrinks, if I ever reached my unstretched goal it would likely mean my hair was longer than this stretched... hmm... I guess I need to make up my damn mind. :lol:

Oooh, I'm in! I'd like to have APL unstretched. I'm good with that. That might put me at around the bottom of brastrap stretched. Cool! Can't say when I will get there but it's worth a shot!

Ennyaa said:
Great thread/challenge! I don't really know how long it will take me to reach my unstretched goal of APL but what the hell, since I'm documenting anyway go head and add me to the list please. I'll probably do twistouts though. I think just airdrying my hair and doing nothing would ALWAYS result in the same size fro for me regardless of how long my hair got.

Actually it's interesting, I think my stretched goal is between BSL and Mid Back... but I have a feeling that as much as my hair shrinks, if I ever reached my unstretched goal it would likely mean my hair was longer than this stretched... hmm... I guess I need to make up my damn mind. :lol:

Not really, just let it grow and see where it leads. You can make up you mind after you get closer to one of those goals.:D

Thanks Golden Breeze. I try to "let go and let flow" but sometimes my brain won't cooperate. :lol:

I think when I finally reach APL stretched I'll really feel like the sky is the limit! :D

count me in too!:) i've made a chart of my unstretched hair goals. my hair shrinks @ 80% (it's actually a little more than that, but i kept it at 80% to keep the math simpler:)

Afro Length (shrunken)​
Actual Length (stretched)​
1 yr.​
1 in.​
5 in.​
2 yr.​
2 in.​
10 in.​
3 yr.​
3 in.​
15 in.​
4 yr.​
4 in.​
20 in.​
5 yr.​
5 in.​
25 in.​
6 yr.​
6 in.​
30 in.​

Last edited:
Ennyaa said:

Don't be so hard on yourself. All of us doing this must realize that this is one for the long haul. It won't be a get length quick situation to say the least, because let's face it, shrinkage is something fierce to deal with.

We are the only people on the planet that can have BSL hair and no one would ever know it if we let our hair dry in its natural state.

So I want us all to realize this is something that is not a quick hit. It is going to test your patience and stamina.

I am calling this one a character building challenge because WHEN we reach our goals we will have learned a whole lot about our hair and ourselves during this journey.

It ain't for the weak of heart, just look at some of your goal dates and the smilies you placed next to them. It is already going to be an uphill battle, but with all of us here for each other and the support we get.....slow and steady will win this race.

We can do this people! Let's get ready to R U M B L E!!!! Oops wrong place!:eek:

Let get ready to G R O W!!!!!!!!!!!!!
;)

tkj25 said:
count me in too!:) i've made a chart of my unstretched hair goals. my hair shrinks @ 80% (it's actually a little more than that, but i kept it at 80% to keep the math simpler:)

Afro Length (shrunken)​
Actual Length (stretched)​
1 yr.​
1 in.​
5 in.​
2 yr.​
2 in.​
10 in.​
3 yr.​
3 in.​
15 in.​
4 yr.​
4 in.​
20 in.​
5 yr.​
5 in.​
25 in.​
6 yr.​
6 in.​
30 in.​

I like your method.:):) Let me see if I understand it correctly. If you have a dry shrunken afro that is 1 in long, then your hair is 5 ins. long. Is that correct?

^^ my hair is like that. I know my hair looks about 3-4 inches long unstretched, but when I stretched it out it is like 8-9 inches.

This is going to be a long journey in personal growth and patience. I am sure there will be days that I won't see any progress and want to give up. But, I know that there is a support system here and that is all that matters. This should be fun.

GoldenBreeze said:
I like your method.:):) Let me see if I understand it correctly. If you have a dry shrunken afro that is 1 in long, then your hair is 5 ins. long. Is that correct?

that's it exactly. this is my third time returning to my natural hair, so i've had plenty of time to measure & stuff.:lol: hopefully i've learned something in the process:)

Wow!! Some of these unstretched goals are amazing. If I had APL unstretched hair, my stretched hair would have to be waistlength or longer. Now, we're not talking totally shrunken state, right? Just not straightend. I'm about 1 inch from APL stretched (at the nape), and when my hair shrinks to 100% I'm not even neck length.
My goal is not a 100% shrunken goal. If my twistout can sit at shoulder length all the way around, I'll be one happy camper.

I found y'all! I've been searching all day for this thread. :lol:

I sooo want to do this challenge. I almost flatironed over the holiday but held back. My hair has grown some but I haven't been treating it as well as I could and adding heat would not be a good idea. :ohwell:

Today is the day I go back to healthy hair practices and hope that my hair is still in the growth phase. :look:

My shrinkage is between shoulders and APL. The front sides seem to grow quickest so some strands there are closer to APL.

My goal is for all hairs to shrink to APL.

I'll post starting pics later. I have an amla broth marinating right now. :grin:

tkj25 said:
that's it exactly. this is my third time returning to my natural hair, so i've had plenty of time to measure & stuff.:lol: hopefully i've learned something in the process:)

Thanks, that helps a lot! I'm just not much into measuring. It never even occured to me to take pictures of hair growth until I started reading the forum. I may be too relaxed when it comes to hair growth, but I just think if I take care of it then it will grow. Sometimes the stats and documentation that the fun out of it for me. :)

ETA: .....but I'm doing better.

SVT said:
I found y'all! I've been searching all day for this thread. :lol:

I sooo want to do this challenge. I almost flatironed over the holiday but held back. My hair has grown some but I haven't been treating it as well as I could and adding heat would not be a good idea. :ohwell:

Today is the day I go back to healthy hair practices and hope that my hair is still in the growth phase. :look:

My shrinkage is between shoulders and APL. The front sides seem to grow quickest so some strands there are closer to APL.

My goal is for all hairs to shrink to APL.

I'll post starting pics later. I have an amla broth marinating right now. :grin:

If you click "User CP" at the top of any page, and then click "subscriptions" in your CP, then you can always find any thread that you previously posted to.

Back