Anyone have combo hair (fine and coarse)?

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
I think the back of my crown may be coarse. I was surprised to see a few really thick shed and some broken hairs when I detangled that area. They looked super dark and were significantly thicker than the strands on the rest of my hair. I don't know why I've never noticed them. I always knew that area was different and was dryer/more tangly, but never knew the strand size was thicker. Maybe I should inspect my shed hair more often. :look: GettingKinky :lol:

Do you use different products? I did put a little bit of leave in that was thicker (bit of Soultanicals Marulumuru Moisture Guru sample) and it seemed to soften that part right up . My DCs work really well at making that area soft, but my leave ins don't seem to be as great for keeping moisture in that particular area. This are also seems to be retaining/growing less than the rest of my hair.

Any suggestions/advice?

I have all three. Crown/top of head is coarse, very thick strands. Sides are fine strands, and everywhere else is medium-coarse. I use the same products, just use more in my crown area.

I have all three.as well. I use the same products all over but i find that when the crown area s extra dry and rough feeling, adding extra oils or butters.help greatly.

I have medium to thick strands with the thickest in the crown and varying around the head. It's the reason why I have low po hair but still have a good tolerance for protein. I have to use heavy conditioners and condition always with heat. A lot of products I buy have to be for thick hair or dry and maybe damaged hair (depending on the protein to moisture content) in order to have success with products.

Please excuse my iPhone

I have been using lotion like leave ins this summer. I will have to go back to my Darcy's Pumpkin Seed and maybe pick up some Bee Mine Luscious if these new Hairitage moisturizers that I picked up don't cut it for thickness.

I'm in the same boat...I actually have fine, medium, and coarse hair which I can't stand. The thickest strands are in my nape which is my problem area since it's ALWAYS dry, and I also have coarse strands around my crown and other areas throughout my head, I try to keep those areas moisturized but it stays dry no matter what, I'm always on the hunt for a good moisturizer due the dryness of my coarse strands smh. Sent from my iPad using LHCF

Last edited:
@Forreal

My hair is the same. My edges, kitchen, crown, back and sides are different textures. Smh...

I'm currently 28 weeks post relaxer and on Saturdays wash day... I parted my hair in 3. I did one from ear to ear (crossing through the lower end of my crown - hope that makes sense) and one part from my forehead back through my crown to the ear to ear line. It makes a T shape.

Any who.... The "T" intersection helped me manage my crown area (my coarser area) because the slip/detangling shampoo and conditioner allows that area to get moisturized and STRETCHED. My crown will go crazy if it's not stretched. Products don't mean sh*t to my crown unless it's stretched.

The scarf method, stretching new growth, and aloe vera gel on the edges helps w/ the different textures.

I do, but it's spread out my entire head. Every section of my hair has a mix of fine, medium, and coarse strands. Along with atleast 3 different textures :spinning:. I do the L.O.C method in the winter, and the L.C.O method when the weather is warmer.
I do this because I would rather over seal my hair than have thirsty strands. I can go a good week without having to remoisturize and reseal.

I am experiementing with rhassoul clay as my new cleanser because shampoo has become to drying for my hair for some reason. Its like the longer my hair gets the drier my ends get so im cutting out all the products that strip my hair.

I have been using lotion like leave ins this summer. I will have to go back to my Darcy's Pumpkin Seed and maybe pick up some Bee Mine Luscious if these new Hairitage moisturizers that I picked up don't cut it for thickness.

Great minds think alike. I use those same products and I just ordered from the same like and I also thought the same thing!!!!! If all else fails, I know Darcy's Botanicals won't....

Please excuse my iPhone

I have coarse hair at the top and the sides and back are very a fine loose curl, the hair at one of my cowlicks is very coarse as well. I did the big chop because those coarse areas were always my breaking areas. The fine, loose curl loves protein, but the coarse hair would break off and was very dry after using protein.

I have fine and course hair. I don't use different products on different types just bc I'm too lazy for all that. My crown is my most frizzy problem area that I think has different texture or more course. But my hair is also silky if that makes sense so yeah I'm pretty much a hot mess lol.

HPG

Don't judge...Sent from my Galaxy Note II using LHCF

I tried to do the conditioner as leave-in thing and it just didn't work for my scalp. I used CJ Curl Rehab. My hair loved it, but my scalp was itching like crazy. :pullhair:

I am now using the LOC method with lotiony leave-ins (Hair Dew is my :love:) and that is working. Maybe my scalp is just sensitive. I now follow instructions and if they write 'rinse out', I 'rinse out'. I am terrified :lol:

I think I do as well. My nape is fine and I am pretty sure the top of my head is fine, the rest of my hair is coarse....I may have mixtures throughout though, but in those two area's they are definitely soft fine strands...

I don't know what to do about them honestly.

I'm in the same boat...I actually have fine, medium, and coarse hair which I can't stand. The thickest strands are in my nape which is my problem area since it's ALWAYS dry, and I also have coarse strands around my crown and other areas throughout my head, I try to keep those areas moisturized but it stays dry no matter what, I'm always on the hunt for a good moisturizer due the dryness of my coarse strands smh. Sent from my iPad using LHCF

Yeah, my coarse area always dries out, especially at the roots. I just need to pay more attention to that area and get in there really good with some thick moisturizers.

@Forreal

My hair is the same. My edges, kitchen, crown, back and sides are different textures. Smh...

I'm currently 28 weeks post relaxer and on Saturdays wash day... I parted my hair in 3. I did one from ear to ear (crossing through the lower end of my crown - hope that makes sense) and one part from my forehead back through my crown to the ear to ear line. It makes a T shape.

Any who.... The "T" intersection helped me manage my crown area (my coarser area) because the slip/detangling shampoo and conditioner allows that area to get moisturized and STRETCHED. My crown will go crazy if it's not stretched. Products don't mean sh*t to my crown unless it's stretched.

The scarf method, stretching new growth, and aloe vera gel on the edges helps w/ the different textures.

Thanks TheEspressoHair I will try the "T" method this weekend when I wash.

I do, but it's spread out my entire head. Every section of my hair has a mix of fine, medium, and coarse strands. Along with atleast 3 different textures :spinning:. I do the L.O.C method in the winter, and the L.C.O method when the weather is warmer.
I do this because I would rather over seal my hair than have thirsty strands. I can go a good week without having to remoisturize and reseal.

I am experiementing with rhassoul clay as my new cleanser because shampoo has become to drying for my hair for some reason. Its like the longer my hair gets the drier my ends get so im cutting out all the products that strip my hair.

All throughout your head? :spinning: That must be hard to deal with angelhairtype4. I have always wanted to try the rhassoul.

Great minds think alike. I use those same products and I just ordered from the same like and I also thought the same thing!!!!! If all else fails, I know Darcy's Botanicals won't....

Please excuse my iPhone

That's crazy coincidental! Man, I love me some Darcy's Pumpkin Seed. That was one of the first natural products that I bought at the beginning of my HHJ last year. It is definitely the truth and I need to go back to that this winter.

I have coarse hair at the top and the sides and back are very a fine loose curl, the hair at one of my cowlicks is very coarse as well. I did the big chop because those coarse areas were always my breaking areas. The fine, loose curl loves protein, but the coarse hair would break off and was very dry after using protein.

I use mild protein every two weeks and usually do a protein treatment every 6 weeks. My hair seems like like protein...maybe that particular spot doesn't...IDK. :confused:

I do! The fine bits frizz up a lot and break a lot more easily.
Funny, it's the opposite for me!

I have fine and course hair. I don't use different products on different types just bc I'm too lazy for all that. My crown is my most frizzy problem area that I think has different texture or more course. But my hair is also silky if that makes sense so yeah I'm pretty much a hot mess lol.

HPG

Don't judge...Sent from my Galaxy Note II using LHCF

I think I am too. :look: My finer/medium strands don't mine a slightly thicker leave in/moisturizer. I used to love Elasta QP Mango Butter till I dumped too many cones.

I tried to do the conditioner as leave-in thing and it just didn't work for my scalp. I used CJ Curl Rehab. My hair loved it, but my scalp was itching like crazy. :pullhair:

I am now using the LOC method with lotiony leave-ins (Hair Dew is my :love:) and that is working. Maybe my scalp is just sensitive. I now follow instructions and if they write 'rinse out', I 'rinse out'. I am terrified :lol:

I never leave in rinse outs. Just seemed like build up city to me. I was scared. lol

I think I do as well. My nape is fine and I am pretty sure the top of my head is fine, the rest of my hair is coarse....I may have mixtures throughout though, but in those two area's they are definitely soft fine strands...

I don't know what to do about them honestly.

See I am used to dealing with the soft/fine strands. I'm clueless about the coarse stuff.

Back