Anyone give their hair a break from products?

washize

I haven't used products in about two weeks on my hair. Just water and coconut oil., I haven't even used conditioner. I'm going to order some other oils on monday, and my hair is surprizingly really enjoying it right now. I think by next week I'll cowash. I'm starting to wonder if I even need any other products on my hair:perplexed.

I may keep this reggie for a while, and only use products when I straighten my hair.

One huge diffrence I have noticed, is that my curls have loosened alot. espessiaclly in the front, my hair has gone from tight coils, to tight waves, and a few sections in the back have changed texture to completely 3c. Is this normal? Why is my hair doing this?

Anyone else do this? Did your hair change in texture?

For a few months I only used shea butter and vinegar. The shea to condition my hair and the vinegar when I felt like my scalp needed cleaning. My hair was really moist and I felt it thrived but I didn't see a texture change.

Once I stopped using products my hair started to look, feel and be healthier than it ever was. For the past year, I have used 3 products total on my hair:

1. Shampoo
2. Conditoner
3. Sabrino

For a few months I only used shea butter and vinegar. The shea to condition my hair and the vinegar when I felt like my scalp needed cleaning. My hair was really moist and I felt it thrived but I didn't see a texture change.

did you notice a change in your hair when you went back to using products?

I do this all the time...either thru rotating prods OR using no more than oil and water! At the best of time, I don't pile much on, but sometimes I need a break from even that. Yeah, it's laziness :grin: but it helps the hair out. No need for harsh clarifying shamps...just lay off some stuff for awhile or rotate.

I have, but by force (not able to do my own hair) over the last two months. I was using nothing. I was anxious as heck :blush:

I am back to my regular routine now, whew! :grin:

Here are some pictures of my loosened curl pattern, I have some type 2 waves, and type 3c curls. :perplexed idk what is going on. it just keeps getting looser and looser.

Picture005.jpg

Picture001.jpg

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v433/inuslilfriend/?action=view&current=Picture001.jpg
Picture004.jpg

Picture003.jpg

^^ WOW.. what type was it before? Do you take any vitamins? did it only happen because of the water and coconut oil?
TIA

I don't use very many products... but there is like no way my hair would survive without conditioner. :giggle:

Seriously, the same thing happened to me by using only sulfate-free shampoo (clarified maybe twice at the salon for the year,) pre-pooing with Indian oils, but usually just co-washing and always using coconut oil.

My curls loosened, looked limp and lifeless, which was bad for style purposes, but it was awesome for retaining length.

Anyways, I attributed the change in texture to too much moisture. It was cured when I shampooed using a clarifying shampoo then MOST IMPORTANTLY doing a protein treatment- the Aphogee 2 step.

So don't worry you can get your hair back.

Right now I'm trying to reload my hair with moisture again, so I'm back on the coconut and Indian oils. And I agree with you, commercial products only come in handy when straightening- well, and I do have some anti-frizz for the wash n go's.

here's the link to what I'm talking about (and I have some pics there too)
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=426358&highlight=

Last edited:
I am right now but not by choice. All I've been using is water and penetrating oils. I miss my conditioners but my hair feels moisterized. I DC with the last of my shea butter so that left my hair conditioned for a good while.

^^ WOW.. what type was it before? Do you take any vitamins? did it only happen because of the water and coconut oil?
TIA

It is still 4a I just have 3 curl patterns now. And I suppose its from the water and coconut oil. I just started taking prenatal pills for a few days, the ones from GNC.

Seriously, the same thing happened to me by using only sulfate-free shampoo (clarified maybe twice at the salon for the year,) pre-pooing with Indian oils, but usually just co-washing and always using coconut oil.

My curls loosened, looked limp and lifeless, which was bad for style purposes, but it was awesome for retaining length.

Anyways, I attributed the change in texture to too much moisture. It was cured when I shampooed using a clarifying shampoo then MOST IMPORTANTLY doing a protein treatment- the Aphogee 2 step.

So don't worry you can get your hair back.

Right now I'm trying to reload my hair with moisture again, so I'm back on the coconut and Indian oils. And I agree with you, commercial products only come in handy when straightening- well, and I do have some anti-frizz for the wash n go's.

here's the link to what I'm talking about (and I have some pics there too)
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=426358&highlight=

Wow your curls look great!! How much did moisturizing your hair, loosen your curls? Did it completely change curl patterns? Did you fell your hair was over moisturized?

I have been contemplating this lately but I will only be eliminating leave in conditioner b/c I feel they only make my hair more hard even with sealing. I will continue to use shampoo condish and dc with light protein but I think I may omit leave in's and may try regular condish as a "leave in" or nothing but water and my oil of choice. I did try this before and my hair felt softer.

I was waiting for someone to say this...I think your texture is getting looser because there's not enough protein for it to hold its normal structure. I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing though.

And no, I've never given my hair a break from products....I can't imagine going back to a conditioner-less existence.

Wow your curls look great!! How much did moisturizing your hair, loosen your curls? Did it completely change curl patterns? Did you fell your hair was over moisturized?

The curl pattern didn't completely change, but it definitely stretched it out quite a bit. It went from a 3c to a 3b- maybe even looser in some parts, cuz I'd have to scrunch my hair to get the 3b curls.

Yeah it did feel over moisturized. I mean, it was really soft, mushy and seemed ALOT thinner (which I didn't like.) Honestly, it has it's pros and it's cons. When my hair was over moisturized like that, I could swear that the only hairs that come out of my head were shed hairs- no breakage, no tangles- nothing.

Once I stopped using products my hair started to look, feel and be healthier than it ever was. For the past year, I have used 3 products total on my hair:

1. Shampoo
2. Conditoner
3. Sabrino

Wow, your hair is gorgeous :yep:. I guess simplicity and consistency is key. I'm trying to simplify my routine. I can't say that I can narrow it down to just three products, but I want to simplify as much as I can. I've simplified my products a lot. I now only use one kind of shampoo, rinse-out conditioner, deep conditioner, and leave-in conditioner. I now have to simplify my oils and ayurvedic powders. A lot of ayurvedic powders seem to have similar affects, so I'm going to do research on the main ones I want and stick with these.

OP, I definitely admire the fact that you can subsist off of coconut oil and water and absolutely NO conditioner.

I am simplifying for 2010.
I am getting Deva Curl No Poo and Deva Curl One Condish 32 oz each for Xmas.
Using BRBC and EVOO for sealing.
Head gets gunky? I'll use ACV and Baking Soda in water.
No more extragant condish, no more powder mixes, no more shampoo...
That is all.

The only products I've given my hair a break from are leave-in/moisturizers. For years now, all I use on my hair are shampoo and conditioner and ACV and only during my wash. After that, nada. Works for me. My hair is soft = moisturized and I don't seem to have any issues.

The only products I've given my hair a break from are leave-in/moisturizers. For years now, all I use on my hair are shampoo and conditioner and ACV and only during my wash. After that, nada. Works for me. My hair is soft = moisturized and I don't seem to have any issues.

Do you have soft water where you live or use a shower filter?
I couldn't imagine that working on my hair with our crazy hard water here.

The curl pattern didn't completely change, but it definitely stretched it out quite a bit. It went from a 3c to a 3b- maybe even looser in some parts, cuz I'd have to scrunch my hair to get the 3b curls.

Yeah it did feel over moisturized. I mean, it was really soft, mushy and seemed ALOT thinner (which I didn't like.) Honestly, it has it's pros and it's cons. When my hair was over moisturized like that, I could swear that the only hairs that come out of my head were shed hairs- no breakage, no tangles- nothing.

Yeah I've noticed I have no breakage either, like one or two a day compraed to 40 or more a day.

Back